General International TV Channels Thread

Insidus

Then there's the mystery of Lifetime Portugal, even though I think it was Lifetime Africa with Brazilian dubs. Don't know what happened to it on DSTV.

Likewise Crime+Investigation here launched on DSTV, like CN and Boomerang Portugal. However it took the channel nearly three years to reach Portugal just like Boomerang.
I wouldn't be shocked if Lifetime were to get discontinued in Africa after that whole carriage scandal with DStv.

After the renewal, A+E Networks hasn't been that interactive with Africa I can see them move their content to streaming services or become a content distributor.

Lifetime seemed underrated with the presence of TLC and E!

Sent from my Hisense U964 using Tapatalk

Insidus

J10

So you're saying channels can hibernate as well

Sent from my Hisense U964 using Tapatalk
For Euronews Hungary, no, it’s not.

It said they’ll suspend it until February 2022.

Euronews is scheduled to stop its Broadcast in Hungarian on 30 November, which will be suspended until at least February 2022. The move is not politically, according to the network.

I wish if they could suspend all Euronews stations and merge again into multilingual channel, and also bring back Arabic & Farsi to the channel again, as NBC’s Comcast no longer having stakes and it’s sold.

Last edited:

guimax

In January 2022, Disney will make the following changes to its sports channels in Brazil:

ESPN Brasil > ESPN
ESPN (formerly called ESPN international) > ESPN 2
ESPN 2 > ESPN 3
Fox Sports > ESPN 4

Fox Sports 2 and ESPN Extra for now will continue as they are.

J10

In January 2022, Disney will make the following changes to its sports channels in Brazil:

ESPN Brasil > ESPN
ESPN (formerly called ESPN international) > ESPN 2
ESPN 2 > ESPN 3
Fox Sports > ESPN 4

Fox Sports 2 and ESPN Extra for now will continue as they are.

So, the rumors for FOX Sports becoming ESPN4 are expected to become true and is going to be confirmed.

Last edited:

ilpuyopuyo

At TAMAX-TV HQ
For Euronews Hungary, no, it’s not.

It said they’ll suspend it until February 2022.

Euronews is scheduled to stop its Broadcast in Hungarian on 30 November, which will be suspended until at least February 2022. The move is not politically, according to the network.

I wish if they could suspend all Euronews stations and merge again into multilingual channel, and also bring back Arabic & Farsi to the channel again, as NBC’s Comcast no longer having stakes and it’s sold.
What if it happened, will that feed show testcard or simulcast another language feed of euronews?

BlooCNBoy02

I'm blue. A nostalgic CN fan.
What if it happened, will that feed show testcard or simulcast another language feed of euronews?
Or maybe the screen goes black or shows an infocard about the suspension.
I will check it on 1 December, on both Telekom and the online stream. Telekom usually puts infocards when channels close without renamings.

BlooCNBoy02

I'm blue. A nostalgic CN fan.
Hallmark HUN-CZE continuities from 2008. After the first one, there is a special trilingual "10 YEARS" OSB animation, since Hallmark was launched throughout Central Europe in 1998.

RegularCapital

Staff member
Comcast-owned Sky and NBCUniversal have begun the rollout of content from the Peacock streaming service in countries where Sky operates in Europe, beginning with a soft launch in the UK and Ireland.

Sky TV and Now customers in the UK and Ireland now have access to Peacock TV shows and movies from today at no additional cost, with more content to be added over the coming months.

RegularCapital

Staff member
National Geographic UK/Europe's commissioning and production team has been restructured and now works directly with Disney EMEA and not Nat Geo USA. I suppose this is one of the final stages of integration after the Fox/Disney merger.

The change took place a few weeks ago, the Nat Geo London-based team are now focusing on international productions, regional European and local market productions. The team is also working closely with London-based Sean Doyle, Disney’s Director of Original Production, Unscripted General Entertainment for Europe and Africa.

I guess this is a step towards Nat Geo becoming more integrated with Disney+, working directly with the EMEA management that runs the streaming platform in the region, rather than continuing to exist as a TV Channel.

J10

After this decision, Nat Geo would soonly be gone like Disney/FOX Channels. They should sell the channels instead, whether to Smithsonian Channel or Discovery, because if they decided to close it like what they did to Disney/FOX, viewers will go to other channels like Discovery, History, BBC Earth, etc., and also other ways and solutions to find for contents, when Disney+ doesn’t exist in some of their countries (e.g Maldives & Bangladesh).

Last edited:

RegularCapital

Staff member
After this decision, Nat Geo would soonly be gone like Disney/FOX Channels. They should sell the channels instead, whether to Smithsonian or Discovery, because if they decided to close it like what they did to Disney/FOX, they’ll go to other channels like Discovery, History, BBC Earth, etc., and also other ways and solutions to find for contents.

The channels don't serve much purpose to any other broadcaster, it's the content and production side of Nat Geo that's the most important part and that's staying with Disney, there might be some value in selling the EPG slots. Even if the Nat Geo channels closes, there still be a slight viewership gain for Discovery and History etc., and possibly some pay-TV cancellations.

If Discovery, A+E, BBC etc. wanted to launch a channel, they can do it themselves as they've already got the resources to do so, it's a lot easier and cheaper to launch a TV channel than it used to be (it's still a bit difficult and expensive, but compared to the past, it's relatively much less so).

J10

The channels don't serve much purpose to any other broadcaster, it's the content and production side of Nat Geo that's the most important part and that's staying with Disney, there might be some value in selling the EPG slots. Even if the Nat Geo channels closes, there still be a slight viewership gain for Discovery and History etc., and possibly some pay-TV cancellations.

If Discovery, A+E, BBC etc. wanted to launch a channel, they can do it themselves as they've already got the resources to do so, it's a lot easier and cheaper to launch a TV channel than it used to be (it's still a bit difficult and expensive, but compared to the past, it's relatively much less so).
I have updated my quote and added the countries that Disney+ doesn’t exist, incl. Maldives & Bangladesh, if Nat Geo disappears and discontinue to exist as a channel.
when Disney+ doesn’t exist in some of their countries (e.g Maldives & Bangladesh).

In my opinion, if Discovery took over Nat Geo from Disney, the channel internationally would become Quest, and have focus on what’s currently airing on Nat Geo and also air Discovery Channel’s Content (in some providers where Discovery Channel doesn’t exist there), unlike the UK one, which is FTA, and merge Nat Geo Wild with Animal Planet, like what they did to Good Food in the UK after they decided to merge it with Food Network UK.

But if Somthsonian took over the channel, Smithsonian would focus also on animals by turning Nat Geo Wild to Smithsonian Wild, while Smithsonian Channel would make more international debuts on Nat Geo’s Slot, after being aired in the UK & Canada.

Last edited:

Francisque

I guess this means that finally, after a long time, local Nat Geo's will have more to do with the Disney channels, maybe including the Fox channels (?).

In most EMEA countries, a Fox-Nat Geo division still exists, while Disney's are run separately.

Now this should mean that the Nat Geo-Fox channels should be run not by an American team, but the same team that takes care of the Disney EMEA channels (from London) if I get it correctly?

But Poland has a local Fox/Nat Geo "studio", but the Disney EMEA channels are run from London, so it gets messy

RegularCapital

Staff member
I guess this means that finally, after a long time, local Nat Geo's will have more to do with the Disney channels, maybe including the Fox channels (?).

In most EMEA countries, a Fox-Nat Geo division still exists, while Disney's are run separately.

Now this should mean that the Nat Geo-Fox channels should be run not by an American team, but the same team that takes care of the Disney EMEA channels (from London) if I get it correctly?

But Poland has a local Fox/Nat Geo "studio", but the Disney EMEA channels are run from London, so it gets messy

It's mostly about production co-operation, the direct link between Nat Geo Europe and the U.S. has gone, and Disney EMEA has direct control, anything to do with Nat Geo USA/Europe co-operation has to go through Disney management. It's understandable why Fox/Nat Geo should no longer be treated seperately from the rest of Disney, especially as Fox Networks Group is slowly disappearing and the fact that the current Nat Geo structure is an overhang from the Fox/Disney merger. Most other things about Fox Networks Group has already been fully integrated into Disney, below is an example.

Here, the legal name of Fox Networks Group became Disney Networks Group Ltd in June 2021. DISNEY NETWORKS GROUP (UK) LIMITED overview - Find and update company information - GOV.UK

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

WBD announces a Meerkat Manor animated film. In other news, the world suddenly remembers Meerkat Manor exists.
Today marks the 5th Year Anniversary of when the HD Double Pack of Final Fantasy X & X-2 was released on the Nintendo Switch in North America. It was nice to be able to play my favorite Final Fantasy game on a Nintendo system.
Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)

Featured Posts