General International TV Channels Thread

Francisque

On today, all remaining Mediaset channels have gone HD, this means most main Italian FTA channels are available in HD, except some RAI ones (however available in HD on RAI Play).

This also means the UK broadcasters are way behind many European countries, although Germany has almost all commercial channels on HD+,therefore paying

themidnightlore

That one that banters over Sony TV channels
Things I can think aren't HD on the Italian DTT, at least on satellite.
- Super! (Come on Paramount Global! Even if we considering that on the pay side, all is in HD is only MTV...)
- Frisbee and K2 (Come on Warner Bros. Discovery! Half of your kids channels now are in HD with Mediaset!)
- Anything very minor and probably unwanted (looking at you, Gold TV and Canale Italia)
...That's a small list.

RegularCapital

On today, all remaining Mediaset channels have gone HD, this means most main Italian FTA channels are available in HD, except some RAI ones (however available in HD on RAI Play).

This also means the UK broadcasters are way behind many European countries, although Germany has almost all commercial channels on HD+,therefore paying

I think there's a reluctance in the UK due to the amount of legacy equipment and the changing way people watch content, there's still quite a few old Freeview TVs in the wild, some used as a spare in the bedroom, in caravans etc. same applies to old Sky boxes. On Cable on the other hand, where equipment is "leased", all of the old boxes have been replaced, but even I think Virgin's cable TV service will be dead within the next five years as it has released its new stream box, they're binning off DOCSIS, so they might as well bin off DVB-C as everything will be pure-fibre.

Arqiva (the company that owns and operates the DTT network in the UK), left the Freeview consortium due to a refocus by the PSBs on streaming on the Freeview Play service and other IPTV services accessible via the Freeview platform. Also a Freeview MUX was turned off for 5G capacity, I wouldn't be surprised that DTT will be dead within the next 15 years with 5G+ being a transmission medium or via Fibre when all the telephone cables have been replaced.

Sky will go 100% streaming eventually though Sky Puck/Sky Glass, and the only user of Satellites will be Freesat if that continues, again, Freesat and Freeview are ran by the same organisation, so it could merge into one streaming platform.

RegularCapital

I think the fact that UK DTT was well before other countries, is also to blame.

Many receivers can't be switched to newer standards, indeed
The only major change Freeview has was when it switched to 8k-mode (nothing to do with screen resolution but do with how Freeview is transmitted), this was when the old OnDigital/ITV Digital boxes (1998-2002) and Early Freeview boxes became useless. Funnily enough and with an ironic twist, these boxes became useless at the digital switchover.

themidnightlore

IMHO, there's a really small chance that we could get a new channel on the DTT soon, as one LCN (37, originally used by GM24) is getting sold to some unnamed other party. My wish for that would be Warner Bros. Discovery for use it for open an Italian version of Travel Channel. Won't happen, but if it does happen... I just want to see the trio of Food Network, HGTV and Travel Channel completed.

Francisque

IMHO, there's a really small chance that we could get a new channel on the DTT soon, as one LCN (37, originally used by GM24) is getting sold to some unnamed other party. My wish for that would be Warner Bros. Discovery for use it for open an Italian version of Travel Channel. Won't happen, but if it does happen... I just want to see the trio of Food Network, HGTV and Travel Channel completed.
Travel (or Trvl!) has been completely forgotten in EMEA, don't get your hopes up

themidnightlore

Travel (or Trvl!) has been completely forgotten in EMEA, don't get your hopes up
All I know is I don't want Mediaset getting another LCN and making yet another lazy channel filled of repeats.

I know, I know, I did say that it won't happen (unless a miracle does happen). I'd would be fine if it even ends like the American one where it's all ghost hunting stuff....
...But you're also right, Travel is pretty forgotten. I do like keeping a spark of hope of it until it gets revelated what will come to that, though.

J10

So, it’s confirmed that BBC World News will be replaced with the newly BBC News Channel. This means no BBC Breakfast on the new channel. I thought the channel would be like CNN, as CNN aired Early Start and New Day on both CNN International and CNN US.

BBC News has set out further details of the new TV news channel which will launch next year, replacing its two existing separate news channels for UK and global audiences. The channel, which will be called BBC News, is expected to launch in April 2023.

This forms part of the plan announced earlier this year to create a modern, digital-led and streamlined organisation that drives the most value from the licence fee and delivers more for audiences.

BBC News Digital Director Naja Nielsen says: “Our aim is to create the best live and breaking video news service in the world - on our web pages, our apps, on BBC iPlayer and on our new TV news channel.

“The way audiences consume news is changing. In recent years we’ve seen a huge surge in audiences coming to our live coverage, with tens of millions following live pages when big stories and events unfold.

“As the world’s most trusted source of news, with a huge depth and breadth of expertise, the BBC is uniquely placed to offer audiences the best analysis and explanation as these stories are unfolding. So we are investing in new capability to cover breaking news stories, and our news channel and digital teams will work hand in hand to bring the best journalism to audiences both at home and abroad.”

The channel will be broadcast around the world, bringing the BBC’s trusted journalism to international audiences and providing licence fee payers in the UK with ad-free access to a huge range and breadth of international coverage which hasn’t previously been available to them. It will feature new flagship programmes built around high-profile journalists, and programmes commissioned for multiple platforms.

UK viewers will receive specific content at certain times of the day, and during certain news stories. A new live and breaking news team will provide universally available coverage of global breaking news, and – when relevant - a domestic-only stream for UK-specific news events, ensuring that audiences get the best live video coverage of the news that matters most to them.

Further details of the plans include:

• The channel will be broadcast from London during UK daytime hours, and then Singapore and Washington DC. The BBC will invest in new on and off-screen journalism roles in Washington DC.
  • Sports programming will be a mixture of the UK-facing Sportsday and new global-facing sports programmes.
  • The BBC will invest in visualising programmes based on popular radio shows, with new technology and studio capacity to do so. This will begin with the BBC Radio 5 Live Nicky Campbell programme, which will be broadcast on BBC Two on weekday mornings as well as on the UK stream of the new channel.
BBC Studios will continue to have responsibility for securing commercial revenues from the channel outside the UK, primarily through advertising, returning funding to the BBC that can be reinvested in public service journalism. The channel will remain ad-free in the UK.

These plans are now subject to consultation with staff and trade unions.

J10

KRRiT is appealing against the ruling of the Provincial Administrative Court regarding the license for TVN24, which is unfavorable for it.

Witold Kołodziejski, chairman of the National Broadcasting Council, filed a cassation appeal against the judgment of the Provincial Administrative Court, which found the KRRiT inactivity when extending the license for TVN24.

"KRRiT filed a cassation appeal against the judgment of the Provincial Administrative Court. The chairman does not agree with the justification presented by the court", informs Teresa Brykczyńska, spokeswoman for the National Broadcasting Council, and she clarifies, "Witold Kołodziejski believes that the extension of the TVN24 license did not result in "KRRiT inactivity".

The news station belonging to the TVN Group waited 19 months for the license extension. It happened only four days before the expiry of the current one. The National Broadcasting Council could not reach an agreement on this matter for a long time. According to the Broadcasting Act, the Polish license may be obtained by entities based in the European Economic Area. It is true that TVN controls Polish Television Holding based in Amsterdam, but this company belonged to the American Discovery concern (Nowadays, it's called Warner Bros. Discovery).

The owner of TVN24 did not know until the last moment whether the Polish license of the station would be extended, so they obtained the Dutch license from the counterpart of the National Broadcasting Council. He received Polish license for TVN24, on September 22, 2021, a few days before the expiry of the broadcasting right, despite the fact that he submitted a motion in this case at the beginning of February 2020. The TVN Group filed a complaint with the Provincial Administrative Court against the inactivity of Witold Kołodziejski, the chairman of the National Broadcasting Council and the excessive length of the proceedings.

TVN: "The license process is unlawfully postponed".

"On April 27, 2022, the Provincial Administrative Court issued a judgment unfavorable to the National Broadcasting Council. The court stated that the body was inactive, which was a gross violation of the law, and ordered the chairman of the National Broadcasting Council to pay the complainant PLN 597 as reimbursement of the costs of the proceedings. The verdict is not final", we were informed then by Dominik Niewirowski, deputy head of the secretariat of the Department of Forensic Information.

Both parties had the option of submitting a cassation appeal to the Supreme Administrative Court.

The verdict was welcomed by the owner of TVN24. The Provincial Administrative Court confirmed the objections raised many times by TVN regarding the way in which the chairman of the National Broadcasting Council proceeded with the case of TVN24's concession. "The indication that the inactivity was related to a gross violation of the law clearly indicates that the licensing process for TVN24 was postponed for over a year and a half in a completely unlawful manner", commented the TVN Group press office in a statement sent to Wirtualnemedia.pl.

The cassation appeal filed by the chairman of the National Broadcasting Council (KRRiT) was submitted to the court at the end of June.

Time for the (Dutch) CVDM license of TVN24 to be activated immediately, because Polish license will be revoked and KRRiT is going to win.

canyuksel97

A Few Days Ago On 13th July, The Sri Lanka Rupavahini Corporation Was Suspended
Regularly Scheduled Programming For A Few Minutes Starting Around 13:30 IST Until 14:00 IST.
At 14:00 IST, Rupavahini Resumed Regularly Scheduled Programming As Normal.

Also On The Same Time, ITN From Sri Lanka Suspended Regular Programming
With End Of Transmission Infocard, National Anthem And Testcard.
Regular Programming On ITN Resumed At 15:00 IST.

Here Is The TX Of Rupavahini Before The Channel Suspended For A While Until 14:00 IST.

Reactions: J10

Francisque

OFCOM is wondering whether public service commercial stations still need more restriction on advertising minutage than non-PBS (with your usual up to 12 minutes per hour advertising limit) or not, including the maximum length of ad breaks; so a consultation is open.

I guess in this day and age, these restrictions are not needed anymore; they're actually a restraint for financing certain slots, which are completely ad-less (mostly 18:00 and partly 22:00) in order to have 12 mins during most-watched slots, especially with all the streaming services out there.

Also, Syfy UK will logically become Sky Sci-Fi, on the 26th of this month and branding can be seen here:

J10

A Few Days Ago On 13th July, The Sri Lanka Rupavahini Corporation Was Suspended
Regularly Scheduled Programming For A Few Minutes Starting Around 13:30 IST Until 14:00 IST.
At 14:00 IST, Rupavahini Resumed Regularly Scheduled Programming As Normal.

Also On The Same Time, ITN From Sri Lanka Suspended Regular Programming
With End Of Transmission Infocard, National Anthem And Testcard.
Regular Programming On ITN Resumed At 15:00 IST.

Here Is The TX Of Rupavahini Before The Channel Suspended For A While Until 14:00 IST.
Actually, that happened on July 9th/10th, when their leader left the country to Maldives, and their channels went interrupted. I wish if I could have written that before instead.

Last edited:

RegularCapital

No to me, mostly because the others have no AMC, so it should have a standalone branding like Legend

Yeah, and the fact that it's heavily dependent on CBS's library, there is an AMC channel in the UK, but its exclusive to BT TV, it's purely a AMC content channel. I think introducing the AMC brand onto the former CBS channels would cause confusion.

So, it’s confirmed that BBC World News will be replaced with the newly BBC News Channel. This means no BBC Breakfast on the new channel. I thought the channel would be like CNN, as CNN aired Early Start and New Day on both CNN International and CNN US.

BBC News has set out further details of the new TV news channel which will launch next year, replacing its two existing separate news channels for UK and global audiences. The channel, which will be called BBC News, is expected to launch in April 2023.

This forms part of the plan announced earlier this year to create a modern, digital-led and streamlined organisation that drives the most value from the licence fee and delivers more for audiences.

BBC News Digital Director Naja Nielsen says: “Our aim is to create the best live and breaking video news service in the world - on our web pages, our apps, on BBC iPlayer and on our new TV news channel.

“The way audiences consume news is changing. In recent years we’ve seen a huge surge in audiences coming to our live coverage, with tens of millions following live pages when big stories and events unfold.

“As the world’s most trusted source of news, with a huge depth and breadth of expertise, the BBC is uniquely placed to offer audiences the best analysis and explanation as these stories are unfolding. So we are investing in new capability to cover breaking news stories, and our news channel and digital teams will work hand in hand to bring the best journalism to audiences both at home and abroad.”

The channel will be broadcast around the world, bringing the BBC’s trusted journalism to international audiences and providing licence fee payers in the UK with ad-free access to a huge range and breadth of international coverage which hasn’t previously been available to them. It will feature new flagship programmes built around high-profile journalists, and programmes commissioned for multiple platforms.

UK viewers will receive specific content at certain times of the day, and during certain news stories. A new live and breaking news team will provide universally available coverage of global breaking news, and – when relevant - a domestic-only stream for UK-specific news events, ensuring that audiences get the best live video coverage of the news that matters most to them.

Further details of the plans include:

• The channel will be broadcast from London during UK daytime hours, and then Singapore and Washington DC. The BBC will invest in new on and off-screen journalism roles in Washington DC.
  • Sports programming will be a mixture of the UK-facing Sportsday and new global-facing sports programmes.
  • The BBC will invest in visualising programmes based on popular radio shows, with new technology and studio capacity to do so. This will begin with the BBC Radio 5 Live Nicky Campbell programme, which will be broadcast on BBC Two on weekday mornings as well as on the UK stream of the new channel.
BBC Studios will continue to have responsibility for securing commercial revenues from the channel outside the UK, primarily through advertising, returning funding to the BBC that can be reinvested in public service journalism. The channel will remain ad-free in the UK.

These plans are now subject to consultation with staff and trade unions.

This could improve the international news coverage on BBC News in the UK. BBC World News always did a better job at it. As for not including Breakfast on the international version/opt-out, I can understand why, it's very UK heavy, and the BBC is a lot more internationally focused than CNN International, which is still mostly U.S. centric. Also it would be really odd for someone living in Australia or Japan watching a breakfast show mostly about UK interests in the evening.

OFCOM is wondering whether public service commercial stations still need more restriction on advertising minutage than non-PBS (with your usual up to 12 minutes per hour advertising limit) or not, including the maximum length of ad breaks; so a consultation is open.

I guess in this day and age, these restrictions are not needed anymore; they're actually a restraint for financing certain slots, which are completely ad-less (mostly 18:00 and partly 22:00) in order to have 12 mins during most-watched slots, especially with all the streaming services out there.

Also, Syfy UK will logically become Sky Sci-Fi, on the 26th of this month and branding can be seen here:

It is a rather archaic aspect of the PSB rules, so there might be a need for a change, 6pm and 10pm are news slots, people prefer to watch the news with minimal disruption as possible, otherwise viewers would rather switch over to the BBC. ITV News recently expanded their national/international evening news slot to an hour, but they always mention the next programme (in most cases "Emmerdale"), probably to boost viewership in those ad-slots and to keep viewers hanging on.

As for Syfy becoming Sky Sci-Fi, it was inevitable, the only other NBCUniversal channel brand left here is E! (excluding CNBC and NBC News Now), as that's a pan-feed with minimal viewership and there's little appetite for localisation, I doubt that will be a Sky Showbiz News Channel.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I honestly don't care for Avatar 2. Like I thought the first one was ok, Story was meh but Visual effects were really good. Other than that what can you do new in the sequel other than Disney wanting to see if they could milk it for who knows how many years.
Disney's Treasure Planet is 20 years old today.

someone has to update that Seinfeld and Young Sheldon are off nick@nite lineup, and also nickatnite.com removed these pages. Only down to two shows
Welp, time to watch my first piece of Shrek related media in 14 years.
Greetings and Salutations, Everyone!
We are Locke & Key Studios. We provide Voice-Over and Sound Design production services for Video Games, Animation, Commercials, Audio dramas, etc.

We also produce Demo Reels for Voice Actors. Come check us out! We're currently producing an anime-scripted audio drama called "OMG, I'm Dating A Vampire!

Featured Posts