General International TV Channels Thread

BlooCNBoy02

I'm blue. A nostalgic CN fan.
RTL Klub closedown from 11 (early hours of 12) April 1998. Until May that year, they used a clock which was similar to TV2's New Year clocks. The closedown itself looks like the ones by BBC1-2 and Channel 4 in the 1990s, although with the Jurassic Park music instead of an announcer.

The clock was also used before the news.

BlooCNBoy02

I'm blue. A nostalgic CN fan.
Sorry for double posting...

Animal Planet Europe had Hungarian subtitles until the early 2000s. This is from the 1999-2003 era.

Film+ Hungary continuity from 8 September 2008, exactly a week before the rebrand.

Francisque

Schermata 2022-06-19 alle 17.36.34.png

Interesting observation, and I also noticed that.

Strange as the general trend (especially in the UK) is to keep the DOG out during the breaks.

Italian channels generally do keep the DOG during the breaks, but it's not a generalized pattern

RegularCapital

Staff member
View attachment 298049

Interesting observation, and I also noticed that.

Strange as the general trend (especially in the UK) is to keep the DOG out during the breaks.

Italian channels generally do keep the DOG during the breaks, but it's not a generalized pattern
The ex-Turner/WarnerMedia EMEA/International management (Gerhard Zeiler, Priya Dogra etc.) are now mostly running Warner Bros. Discovery's channels in the EMEA region (excluding Poland, but that's mostly because TVN is a sizable entity on its own), its likely the ex-Turner way of managing and operating the channels has now been carried over to the Discovery part of the company.

Francisque

I'll have to check. whether anything has changed on Discovery Channel Italia, strongly enough, the only Italian Discovery channel in Italy to remove the DOG during the breaks
The ex-Turner/WarnerMedia EMEA/International management (Gerhard Zeiler, Priya Dogra etc.) are now mostly running Warner Bros. Discovery's channels in the EMEA region (excluding Poland, but that's mostly because TVN is a sizable entity on its own), its likely the ex-Turner way of managing and operating the channels has now been carried over to the Discovery part of the company.
I think this would've been more gradual though , but it's good to see there's progress

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
According to a user on TVLiveForum, the AMC-CBS partnership is being disbanded, which wouldn't surprise me; so these become fully AMC channels
CBS Reality left the Portuguese market some time ago and had a following.

Now JimJam is going to leave the Portuguese market. The channel mostly ran lesser-known preschool series and some formerly popular ones aired there redubbed.

J10

Unfortunately, Priya demoted Branco's position back to France and Africa (but with adding Benelux to his position), instead of moving him to another huge position, which would be streaming (HBO Max and/or Discovery+), or in programming content and marketing.

So, I'm not considering it a promotion, because Branco used to be ex-Vice President and General Manager, France, Portugal, Africa, and Israel, until he got promoted to other positions (between 2017/2018 until the post-WBD merger).

That was their big mistake ever, because there is Discovery Family Africa in the Middle East, and also showing CAT on Discovery Channel Middle East (and also on Discovery Channel promos on Discovery Family Africa).
1655657389240.png

I'm worried that MENA will lose Discovery Family again, like what happened on December 2019 and January 2020, when OSN removed Animal Planet Europe and Discovery Family Africa, before renewing their contact. Also, Africa may lose Discovery Science Europe (broadcasting on Azam TV) and HGTV Pan-Regional (It shows CAT/CET Timing on promos; they'll split the feed in the future into HGTV Africa and HGTV Pan-Regional (Europe)), because of Branco's position.

It's better to add Africa to Jamie Cooke's role, so nothing will be affected, or split it into two, Branco overseeing French-speaking Africa, while Jamie oversees English-speaking Africa and North Africa (included to the Middle East) together.

If WBD kept it as it is to where it was, the era when Discovery CEEMEA and Discovery Northern/Southern Europe teams being merged, that would be fine and better.

Last edited:

RegularCapital

Staff member
Unfortunately, Priya demoted Branco's position back to France and Africa (but with adding Benelux to his position), instead of moving him to another huge position, which would be streaming (HBO Max and/or Discovery+), or in programming content and marketing.

So, I'm not considering it a promotion, because Branco used to be ex-Vice President and General Manager, France, Portugal, Africa, and Israel, until he got promoted to other positions (between 2017/2018 until the post-WBD merger).

That was their big mistake ever, because there is Discovery Family Africa in the Middle East, and also showing CAT on Discovery Channel Middle East (and also on Discovery Channel promos on Discovery Family Africa).
View attachment 298052

I'm worried that MENA will lose Discovery Family again, like what happened on December 2019 and January 2020, when OSN removed Animal Planet Europe and Discovery Family Africa, before renewing their contact. Also, Africa may lose Discovery Science Europe (broadcasting on Azam TV) and HGTV Pan-Regional (It shows CAT/CET Timing on promos; they'll split the feed in the future into HGTV Africa and HGTV Pan-Regional (Europe)), because of Branco's position.
Not sure how you can call it a demotion as Branco is actually now overseeing more channels due to the Discovery merger even though his geographic area has been reduced. Dogra also got "demoted" as she's lost Poland and Asia, but gains a lot of channels in Europe due to Discovery.

J10

Not sure how you can call it a demotion as Branco is actually now overseeing more channels due to the Discovery merger even though his geographic area has been reduced. Dogra also got "demoted" as she's lost Poland and Asia, but gains a lot of channels in Europe due to Discovery.
Despite that, I was hoping them to have better positions for those people in WBD, not like what I saw in the last decision. These consequences, as in my previous post, might happen after Africa role staying with Branco again, and not going to Jamie after the merger.

If Jamie took the whole African market, beside CEE, ex-Yugoslavia countries, Baltics, Balkan, and the MENA region, they would look like the 2011-2016's Discovery CEEMEA operations, and nothing would affect in channels' distribution between Africa and other markets on channels like Discovery Family Africa, HGTV Pan-Regional, and Discovery Science Europe.

My better solution for the African continent will be Branco overseeing Francophone Africa, and Jamie overseeing English-speaking Africa.

Last edited:

Trap Prince

TVE Int broadcasted the PAL test pattern from 07:29 AM CET to 11:07 AM CET. The Hot Bird feed has been having technical issues during the previous weeks, even rebroadcasting La 1 for a couple of days (with sports and foreign media prone to international rights issues being blacked out).

tve int.png

+ TV1000 Russian Kino Global has been broadcasting with a 4:3 flag since about a week ago. Troubles in paradise...?

1655665386620.png

RegularCapital

Staff member
According to a user on TVLiveForum, the AMC-CBS partnership is being disbanded, which wouldn't surprise me; so these become fully AMC channels
I've looked into this in more detail, I think this speculation originally came from mavreela from the DigitalSpy forums, in the 2020 accounts it mentions that there's a possibility of the partnership being disbanded, something I've should've spotted.

See "Full Accounts made up to 31st December 2020" on the link below (Page 13, 3rd Paragraph), I can't link the document directly as the link expires.

RONTV

J10

New offer from beIN SPORTS for TV rights in the MENA Region.

In light of the new offer by beIN SPORTS for the TV rights of the MENA Region, which arrived today in the offices of Serie A, which was added to the one already received by Abu Dhabi Media, during the meeting held in the afternoon. "The clubs have decided to continue the necessary in-depth analysis until the end of the month to better evaluate the issue of the sale of audiovisual rights in the MENA Region", explains Serie A Commission.

Last edited:

J10

News came from inside Serie A Commission, regarding meetings on MENA rights.

It was a tense assembly that took place yesterday in videoconference in the presence of the twenty Serie A clubs together with the president of the League, Lorenzo Casini, and the managing director, Luigi De Siervo. The latter were the protagonists of a heated debate with the theme of MENA TV rights at the center.

Yesterday, we supposed to have voted for the assignment of the broadcasting rights of the top league to Abu Dhabi Media, but Casini reported in the courtroom a letter from beIN SPORTS, which sent his proposal to the president and not to De Siervo, as it would be was right according to the proxies on the matter. Hence the quarrel between the number one of the League and the CEO.

De Siervo argued that the offer by the Qatari, led by PSG owner Nasser Al-Khelaifi, would be a disruptive move to stop the possible sale to Abu Dhabi's neighbors. The CEO is negotiating directly with Abu Dhabi Media on the basis of a five-year offer (2022-27) of 28.5 million per season, accompanied by the willingness of the United Arab Emirates to host the Super Cup with a new format (final four) for five years to 22 million each edition.

The offer of the TV company, owned by CEO of PSG, does not differ much from that of Abu Dhabi in terms of figures, but presents a different formula.

The clubs have decided to take time until June 30 to deepen the beIN SPORTS proposal, freezing in the meantime the vote on Abu Dhabi Media.

J10

United Group to consolidate all “Direct To Home” services under one platform
  • A single platform for an audience of 40 million people.
  • A unified pathway for introducing new and innovative services for TV subscribers.
United Group, the leading provider of telecommunications and media services in Southeast Europe, initiates steps to consolidate its DTH services across the region into a single platform by sending an RFI to a select group of satellite operators for satellite capacity to support its plans.

United Group operates three DTH services through NOVA, Total TV, and VIVACOM brand names in 8 countries (Greece, Bulgaria, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Croatia, North Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, Slovenia) reaching out to an audience of 40 million people.

The move will allow the Group to take advantage of new transmission standards and compression technologies to maximise the efficiency of its operation. At the same time, it will enable the introduction of new, increased quality and innovative services for TV subscribers well into the future.

The current configuration of United Group’s DTH operations includes multiple satellite operators, multi-orbital positions, older compression technology, and an amalgam of receiving antennas of varying sizes. The consolidation and reorganisation of the Group’s DTH services will involve the selection of a single satellite orbital position, a unified STB and CAS, a one-size TVRO, and a unique Teleport to uplink the content.

Srdjan Djurdjevic, CEO of United Cloud, the innovation center of United Group, stated that “consolidating all TV services in a single platform, is much more than a business decision. It is further proof of our commitment to continue evolving next generation services, through next generation satellite possibilities”.

J10

Sky Deutschland launches new sports channels.

German pay-TV operator Sky Deutschland will launch a range of new sports channels focused on individual sports on July 14, 2022.

The new channels are Sky Sport Premier League, Sky Sport Tennis, Sky Sport Golf, Sky Sport Mix and Sky Sport Top Event. Together with the existing channels Sky Sport Bundesliga, Sky Sport F1 and Sky Sport News, Sky Deutschland will then offer a total of eight 24-hour sports channels.

The channels are included in the Bundesliga and Sport packages on Sky Q and can also be subscribed to on streaming service WOW.

Another addition to the line-up is the entertainment channel Sky Showcase, which will launch on August 4, 2022.

1655913960989.png

1655916635999.png

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts