"Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (Afterlife Sequel)" News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
GhostbustersFrozenEmpire.jpg

At CinemaCon, Rothman announced a sequel to Ghostbusters: Afterlife is officially in development.

Related Threads
-Ghostbusters (Untitled Netflix Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread
-Ghostbusters: Afterlife Talkback Thread
-Ghostbusters Talkback
-Ghostbusters II Talkback
-Ghostbusters III (Shelved) News & Discussion
-Ghostbusters: Answer The Call Talkback Thread
-Ghostbusters General News & Discussion

Related Links:
Ghostbusters.com
Ghostbusters on Twitter
Ghostbusters on instagram
Ghostbusters on facebook

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
6/8: Gil Kenan and Jason Reitman are currently writing it and only shared it's codename is "Firehouse."

6/9: Jason Reitman and Gil Kenan:
-had the story in mind before they finished Afterlife

-were able to lay out their plans with Ivan Reitman before his passing and he was excited
-confirmed Ernie Hudson will be back of course and Winston's company (seen briefly at the end of AL's end tag) is called Zeddemore Industries and figures strongly into the future of Ghostbusters
-a limited series from Dark Horse Comics coming out late next year will be canon and bridge the gap between Afterlife and this sequel movie

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
The Production Weekly issue 1317 says the sequel starts production in Spring 2023.

So yeah, no way they can make the December 2023 date. 2024 for sure. They should just move it to June 7, 2024 and tie it into the franchise's 40th anniversary.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Okay I admit to not being that much of a fan of Afterlife but I do hope that this 5th Ghostbusters movie (and 4th canon one I guess) can actually be the first sequel in this franchise where people just all believe in ghosts and we don't waste a lot of time with characters moping and doping around and not believing in spirits or wasting time trying to convince them and seeing the idea as a hoax or not relevant anymore and blah blah blah. Like seriously that has been an issue with the franchise since Ghostbusters 2 because... that was something from the first movie but it made sense in the first movie where no one knew that ghosts were real but yeah that isn't the case anymore so if we're running with this world now let's just run with that idea. Like that's something the Real Ghostbusters cartoon never had an issue with so it's obnoxious all the other movies had so I'll give massive props to this film if it ditches that idea and we just have the main heroes dealing with ghost problems not in people believing they don't deal with ghost problems or some other bull.

the greenman

It's funny that Akyroyd has a huge knowledge of mystic supernatural world. He is highly capable of probably writing a script himself.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
It's funny that Akyroyd has a huge knowledge of mystic supernatural world. He is highly capable of probably writing a script himself.

He has several times. But they become too out there, expensive/tons of SFX, and lacked character development/no distinct personalitites. That's why Ivan Reitman brought in Harold Ramis for the first movie to balance the script out. Aykroyd also did his own draft for the second movie, which was totally different than what GB2 was, and the never made third movie which I think he did his own draft of Hellbent before partnering with Tom Davis then the drafts were written by other writers while being overseen by him and Reitman then I think Aykroyd might have done his own draft or two again before Jason Reitman and Gil Kenan came in with their Afterlife pitch.

the greenman

He has several times. But they become too out there, expensive/tons of SFX, and lacked character development/no distinct personalitites. That's why Ivan Reitman brought in Harold Ramis for the first movie to balance the script out. Aykroyd also did his own draft for the second movie, which was totally different than what GB2 was, and the never made third movie which I think he did his own draft of Hellbent before partnering with Tom Davis then the drafts were written by other writers while being overseen by him and Reitman then I think Aykroyd might have done his own draft or two again before Jason Reitman and Gil Kenan came in with their Afterlife pitch.
Yeah, I think his original script was like 400 pages or something like that.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Yeah, I think his original script was like 400 pages or something like that.
No, it was only 180 pages when Aykroyd finished it in January 1983. While he was still writing it, he showed an early draft to Reitman, it was 70-80 pages, and he recounted Stay Puft was on page 20 and it was battle after battle after that and multiple GB teams were involved. At the time, he estimated that movie would have cost hundreds of millions of dollars.

the greenman

No, it was only 180 pages when Aykroyd finished it in January 1983. While he was still writing it, he showed an early draft to Reitman, it was 70-80 pages, and he recounted Stay Puft was on page 20 and it was battle after battle after that and multiple GB teams were involved. At the time, he estimated that movie would have cost hundreds of millions of dollars.
I apologize @Yojimbo. I was mistaken. It was Blues Bros. where Akroyd had a 324 pg script. Yes with GB he got help from Ramis. Sorry, bud.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
2/17/23: On the February 15, 2023 episode of The Howard Stern Show, at 1:40, Ernie Hudson briefly commented he was still in negotiations for the movie.

2/18: One of the Ecto-1 cars from Ghostbusters: Afterlife was seen arriving at Glasgow Prestwick Airport. It was previously on-display at The Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles.

2/28: Jason Reitman posted a photo of himself and Gil Kenan standing next to the first row of the ground floor main entrance inside a Firehouse set under construction.

3/4: The late March start date was confirmed and a time table for three months of principal photography was revealed. Current plans for filming to finish in June.

3/6: Arjen Tuiten posted an instagram story that teased a crate with graphics of the Ghostbusters logo and the Union Flag.

3/7: Ernie Hudson was quoted saying filming will be starting "very, very" soon.

3/8: Jason Reitman posted a photo of Gil Kenan wearing Ecto Goggles and making the peace sign.

Production Weekly #1340 revealed principal photography will take place from March 20 to June 16 and will film at Warner Bros. Studios Leavesden.

3/10: While on The Today Show, Ernie Hudson commented his representatives told him it is all happening, he is being measured for suits and being sent scripts but he has not signed on yet.

3/15: Production Weekly #1341 included a new synopsis for the movie: "After the events in Oklahoma, the Ghostbusters team returns to where it all started; New York City! The Spengler family story continues with a new group of Ghostbusters led by Winston Zeddemore and Ray Stantz." The title is now listed as "Ghostbusters Hell's Kitchen" but "Firehouse" is still the working title.

3/20: It was reported some filming would take place in New York City.

Day one of filming began with Gil Kenan and Jason Reitman posed outside the Firehouse set with Kenan holding a clapper board for Roll 1, Scene 21, Take 1.

Eric Reich posted a wider shot of the photo on his instagram story revealing himself, production manager JoAnn Perritano, producer Erica Mills, and assistant director Jason Blumenfeld.

It was reported "Hell's Kitchen" is not the movie's working title, nor will it be the title. It was originally meant to be used internally, but it found its way online.

3/21: Paul Rudd was reportedly spotted in London.

3/23: Jason Reitman posted a photo of a No Ghost themed A-Camera case on his instagram story.

3/24: It was announced Kumail Nanjiani, Patton Oswalt, Emily Alyn Lind, and James Acaster have joined the cast.

Nanjiani praised the first movie and commented, "The script is unbelievably good. I can't believe I get to be a part of this world."

3/26: The Ecto-1, sans roof rack, used in Ghostbusters: Afterlife for drifting scenes was seen being transported by Rye Canyon Road in the Valencia, California area by Vehicle Effects.

3/27: The Glasgow City Council confirmed the movie will not film in Glasgow. Reportedly, the movie's UK filming will only be in southern England.

Kumail Nanjiani went to the Biryani Supper Club at Darjeeling Express in Soho, London on his day off from filming and sported blonde hair.

3/28: Mckenna Grace, Logan Kim, and Finn Wolfhard were spotted playing Ghostbusters VR Academy at the Gravity Active Entertainment Center in Wandsworth, England.

3/29: Kumail Nanjiani posted a photo of a three cookie set inspired by the No Ghost sign, Slimer, and Ecto-1. Ghost Corps confirmed it was a gift sent to cast to celebrate the start of production.

3/30: Kumail Nanjiani commented "something about my appearance is different in it" and his character "really does move the world forward quite a bit."

4/6: Jason Reitman posted a photo, taken by costume designer Alexis Forte, of himself and Gil Kenan at a second floor Firehouse set.

4/9: Cast and crew, including Gil Kenan, Finn Wolfhard, Kumail Nanjiani, and James Acaster, went to the Biryani Supper Club for Easter Sunday.

4/21: Paul Rudd, Ernie Hudson, Ecto-1, and
William Atherton
seen filming at St. James' Park Tube Station at 55 Broadway in London.

4/24: A video from Reitman and Kenan was played at CinemaCon Sony panel. Gary Grooberson and Callie Spengler are suiting up alongside Phoebe and Trevor. They are a proper family, living under one roof, at the Firehouse. Some bts footage from the set shown - all 4 suited up standing next to Ecto-1 in the garage bay of the Firehouse. Logan Kim and Celeste O’Connor will reprise their roles.

At 15:45 of this interview, Ernie Hudson mentions, "Winston brings his wealth to the Ghostbusters to try to go deeper into what's going on and make sense of it and so we discover that." Not sure if he was talking about Afterlife or this movie but mentions Murray, Aykroyd, and Potts, too.

4/27: Mckenna Grace posts a first look at Phoebe.

4/29: Nanjiani commented, "I think it explores, it makes the world a lot bigger. People are going to love it because it's just this great thing where it feels new and it's going in this direction."

5/19: Sigourney Weaver confirms she's not in the movie.

5/22: Bill Murray is in London texting and taking photos with people.

5/25: During an instagram story, Emily Lind revealed a crew hat.

Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd took a photo with English comedian/writer David Walliams near a bank of actor trailers.

5/26: London crew logo was done by UK artist Andy Bottomley.

Also, some stunt rehearsal for Ecto-1 was being done at the Metlife Stadium in New Jersey. Involves Ecto-1 knocking a bunch of bicycles into the air.

5/29: A no parking notice was found on 120 Fifth Avenue announcing filming on Fifth Avenue on June 3 to June 4. The production name "Blaze Films, Ltd." was used on the notice

5/31: A a no parking notice was seen saw on Mermaid Avenue between Stillwell Avenue and 15th Street. It announces filming will take place on June 5 and 6 from 5 am to 8 pm on both days on a portion of beach spanning from W 10th to W 12th Streets from the boardwalk to the waterline and involves special effects.

6/1: Some filming at KPMG in Canary Wharf in London.

6/2: Dan Aykroyd appeared on Radio X's The Chris Moyles Show. He confirmed he was in the United Kingdom since April and at the 28:53 mark commented the movie will release, "Either end of the year or spring, not sure, you know, it'll be depending upon music and mixing and all the things that have to be done. I'm excited about it because I see what we're getting, and there's some wonderful sequences and great comedy. Good scares and great comedy."

A no parking notice announced filming at Park Place between Broadway and Church Street on June 3 and 4.

6/3: Dan Aykroyd was a guest on the "Saturday Kitchen." Around 1 hour, 20 minutes into the episode, Aykroyd mentioned filming at Winnersh and Shinfield Studios and James Acaster's character builds new equipment for the Ghostbusters and he is "one of the developers of new equipment."

Filming took place throughout 5th Avenue in New York City with Ecto-1 driving scenes. One was done at 5th Avenue & East 18th Street, looking north from just outside of the Banana Republic at 105 5th Avenue. The camera followed Ecto-1 as it drove south on 5th, and stopped beside the Pandora store at 122 5th Avenue. Another was near Club Monaco at 160 5th Avenue. Ecto-1 idled on 5th Avenue then crossed 21st Street, drove south on 5th Avenue near Rapaport House on 155 5th Avenue, and parked outside 1 West 22nd Street. Another was done at 5th Avenue & 18th Street, looking north-east towards the H&M Store at 111 5th Avenue. Also at 5th Avenue & 18th Street, looking west along 18th Street, Ecto-1 and some of the other cars were seen driving north in reverse on 5th Avenue. A stunt driver in a flight suit, perhaps a stand-in for Rudd was there. Ecto-1 was seen being prepped outside Sagaponack at 4 W 22nd Street and here. Another was crossing 19th Avenue. Ecto-1 was seen parked at 1 West 22nd Street. Another was outside 140 5th Avenue, looking towards where 5th Avenue crosses 19th Street.

6/4: On June 4, 2023, second unit filming took place around City Hall Park in Lower Manhattan with Ecto-1 driving scenes including a collision with a bicycle rental stand sponsored by Manhattan City Bank and with the gunner seat being used: here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here.

6/5: A notice about filming was also seen the beach at Coney Island that used both "Firehouse" and "Blaze Films, Ltd." on it.

A no parking notice announced filming will take place on June 7 at Church Street and White Street in Lower Manhattan.

6/6: Filming took place at Coney Island Beach.

6/7: Filming took place on Church Street and involving a car crash stunt: here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here.

A no parking notice indicated there will be filming on June 10 and 11 in the Lower East Side near 55 Delancey Street.

6/8: Filming took place again on Church Street.

A 28 second video was posted featuring the cast inside the Firehouse set in London wishing fans a Happy Ghostbusters Day.

A new poster with a new logo was posted.

Mckenna Grace posted a video of her sliding down the pole to the garage bay, dancing through the Firehouse set, and stopping outside the set.

6/9: Filming will take place at Eldridge & Broome.

Filming will take place at Canal and Lafayette on June 12 and 13 as well as on Broadway and Broome.

6/10: Photos and video at Eldridge & Broome here and here.

6/11: Photos from Eldridge & Broome today.

Another filming notice for June 12 and 13 around Canal, Cleveland, Broome Streets was found. It is scheduled for 6am to 6pm and involves driving sequences and stunt work.

A filming notice for June 14 at E. 64th Street between 2nd Avenue and York was found.

Filming continued at Eldridge and Broome.

6/12: Filming took place around Canal, Lafayette, Cleveland, and Broome Streets area with Ecto-1 and stunt actors here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here.

Aykroyd and Oswalt filmed a scene together in the UK.

6/13: Video from Lafayette filming today.

Aykroyd mentions the movie involves, "Objects can hold spirits, and they can hold energy, and they can have, as you know, the term, it’s called psychometric value."

Broadway and Church on June 15.

Broadway and 18th and Fifth Avenue on June 17 and 18.

6/14: Ecto-1 filming again today.

Also filming today at 80th Street and 41st Avenue.

Will film tomorrow at Hook and Ladder No. 8.

6/15: Filming at Hook and Ladder here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here.

6/17: Ecto-1 was spotted passing the Fifth Avenue and 20th Street intersection at 133 Fifth.

Filming took place throughout the Flaitron area on Fifth and Sixth Avenues: here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here,

6/18: Filming continued on Fifth Avenue: here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here.

June 18 was the second unit's last day filming with Ecto-1. Filming will take place at Hook and Ladder No. 8 on June 19 without the car.
Reportedly, all the filming in New York City is for the movie's opening scene.

6/19: Filming took place on Fifth Avenue between 41st and 42nd on the steps of the New York Public Library in the morning.

Filming took place on the Hook and Ladder roof.

6/23: Filming has wrapped in London.

7/28: Delayed to March 29, 2024.

8/20: Tomorrow, Kenan and Reitman will watch the first cut of the movie.

10/28: Title is reportedly Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire and a trailer is rumored for November 10.

11/6: The official GB accounts continue to tease and a scooper says the trailer is 2 min., 5 sec. and releases this week or early next week.

11/7: Teaser trailer releases tomorrow!

Last edited:

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
They....they're making ANOTHER Ghostbusters movie?

I know this thread has been on the Entertainment forum for months, but I don't believe something exists until I see a trailer. So imagine my surprise when I saw this trailer drop earlier today.

I'm all for it. If we can move beyond "Gozer the Gozerian" and "nostalgia", it'll be fun to see Ghostbusters battling ghosts.

EDIT: Any chance Signourney Weaver's character can come back?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
YES. Awesome trailer. The Firehouse is gonna get wrecked. Just when Winston fixed it up. I think the trailer is hinting there's a hidden room on the third floor of the Firehouse with an artifact inside that the big bad wants, probably to fully power up, and hence why it attacks the Firehouse. Love the tweaks to the packs, the new uniforms, the originals in the trailer. The title I'm on the fence about but on the other hand, kinda cliche if they keep using paranormal terms in the title and NY is the Empire State. Overall, looks really fun.

Any chance Signourney Weaver's character can come back?
In an interview from earlier this year, she said she isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts