"Green Lantern: Beware My Power" Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate this movie

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ****1/2

• ***1/2

Votes: 2 33.3%

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • **1/2

• *1/2

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

khuddle

I liked it. But I didn't love it. Liked it left me a lot to ponder. Didn't like what appeared to be some over-editing.

Movie was visual eye candy and loved the old school sci-fi score.

Was pleasantly surprised to learn that the DC Showcase Adam Strange short is canon to the movie canon. Pretty cool.

Sinestro, Lyssa Dark, Kanjar-Ro and Despero were obvious. But hats off to them for choosing 3 not-so-famous villains who originated in Teen Titans comics: Lord Damyn (don't remember him being a shapeshifter), a Branx (the 4 armed one), and the Gordanian Trogaar to fill out the motley crew of villains.

Overall, while not as flagrant as JSA: WWII, still felt a little like this movie suffered with having too much slam dunked into the second half but on the flip side,

Curious to see how the GLC will be rebuilt without Guardians but I guess that will be just skipped over. But it was pretty crazy, even ludicrious, how easily the GLC and Guardians were killed off by just Sinestro and Parallax Hal just to set up the story and prop them up as a big powerful menace.

***1/2

Yojimbo's review pretty much echoes my thoughts on the movie. Good, but not great. Certainly not among DC's worst, like Injustice or Justice League:War. But not up with the classics either, like Wonder Woman or All-Star Superman. Somewhere in the ballpark of a "Superman: Man of Tommorow" -- enjoyable, but ultimately weighed down by numerous mistakes and inconsistencies. Love the fact that the movie is both a continuation of the Green Lantern: First Flight movie and the DC Showcase Short Adam Strange. I didn't like Hawkgirl's characterization (Whats up with her mace? Isn't it supposed to generate electric currents?), but I was glad to see her back nonetheless. 3.5 out of 5 sounds about right to me.

Last edited:

khuddle

Yojimbo's review pretty much echoes my thoughts on the movie. Good, but not great. Certainly not among DC's worst, like Injustice or Justice League:War. But not up with the classics either, like Wonder Woman or All-Star Superman. Somewhere in the ballpark of a "Superman: Man of Tommorow" -- enjoyable, but ultimately weighed down by numerous mistakes and inconsistencies. Love the fact that the movie is both a continuation of the Green Lantern: First Flight movie and the DC Showcase Short Adam Strange. I didn't like Hawkgirl's characterization (Whats up with her mace? Isn't it supposed to generate electric currents?), but I was glad to see her back nonetheless. 3.5 out of 5 sounds about right to me.

This from DCAU Wiki on Hawkgirl's mace:

"Hawkgirl's weapon is a spiked mace made of Nth metal, which can generate electric currents and possesses enough kinetic energy to cause serious damage even to those with superhuman strength and durability. The Nth metal properties also can repel and detect magical energies. She is skilled at wielding and throwing the mace accurately. She has creatively used the mace as a shield to deflect incoming projectiles or a makeshift defibrillator unit"

Something the "Beware My Power" writers must have missed.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
This from DCAU Wiki on Hawkgirl's mace:

"Hawkgirl's weapon is a spiked mace made of Nth metal, which can generate electric currents and possesses enough kinetic energy to cause serious damage even to those with superhuman strength and durability. The Nth metal properties also can repel and detect magical energies. She is skilled at wielding and throwing the mace accurately. She has creatively used the mace as a shield to deflect incoming projectiles or a makeshift defibrillator unit"

Something the "Beware My Power" writers must have missed.
Her mace might not have been Nth metal. In the movie, she only mentioned the knife she gave to Hal was Nth metal. But if even it was, the properties can differ from project to project.

CyberCubed

I really think it's time the DC animated movie line come to an end. I said this for like the last 5+ years, but it seems we get 1 good movie and then like 5 bad/meh movies. The quality just isn't there anymore. This whole movie in general felt like a bad parody (evil Hal, Sinestro and the other villains being random mooks),

It's hard to believe this has been going on since 2007 with that first Superman Doomsday movie, so its been like 15 years already, and more than half the movies I only watched once and never rewatched because they're not good, and I've seen every single one of them. There's maybe less than 15 I actually rewatched a second time, and that's probably being generous.

I honestly don't know how they keep making these, I can't imagine the sales being that good after all this time since most casual fans and comic book fans likely don't watch these movies. Even when they do adapt comic book storylines people hate it because they dumb down the comic story or take it in a different direction that makes the story worse, so even comic book purists hate it.

It honestly blows my mind DC keeps greenlighting these movies. At this point I'm wondering who the audience is because they're not for kids and most adults/comic book fans probably don't care anymore.

-batmat-

It was okay. I thought the animation was the best it has ever been in this continuity yet. That was my favorite thing from the movie.

I will never feel anything for a character who struggles with his soldier friend being killed while they casually killed people from the other side and felt nothing. This was not very appealing for someone not from the USA. Will not further comment on this.

Overall it was entertaining and a good time. But yeah, as said before, it got too distracted and it took very questionable decisions. Part of what makes GL awesome is the universe around him and the supporting characters. First Fligh and Emerald Knights are awesome movie because of this. Here they just kill off all the GLs and destroy Oa and the supporting cast are just other JLeaguers.

I wish they wouldn't say "Hal Jordan was the greatest Green Lantern alive" in a movie where John Stewart is the main characer.

At some point the movie started to feel more about the Thanagar-Rann war and John was just there. As said before, a lot of characters were acting very dumb, just wanting to fight without thinking rationaly about anything.

I didn't mind Hal being alive, but I didn't like that they made him the villain.

This also felt like a jump ahead in time. Previous movies in this continuity only hinted at the future formation of the JL and now it's there already with Watchtower and everything.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
You guys are too forgiving of that line. Because just based on the way the movie shook out, the line was wrong and designed to be wrong. It's not the least they could do for him. It's an additional middle finger to him and his fans.

And I HATE Hal Jordan! I can't imagine how steamed people who like him must be.

EmaHalJordan

You guys are too forgiving of that line. Because just based on the way the movie shook out, the line was wrong and designed to be wrong. It's not the least they could do for him. It's an additional middle finger to him and his fans.

And I HATE Hal Jordan! I can't imagine how steamed people who like him must be.
The line was fine, even though the movie is by John Stewart it was like acknowledging things as they are!
There are many other things in the film that are wrong, but not that moment, which for me was a caress.

You shouldn't hate the greatest Green Lantern of all :cool:

Last edited:

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
I'll echo what everyone else has been saying. Good, but not great.

I do think they tried to do too much in the script, with too many moving parts. I think Stewart was supposed to be our everyman, who we are meant to empathise with and see all the craziness through his eyes. Instead, he simply got lost in the shuffle amongst more memorable characters.

My only major complaint is a technical one. Why is Butch Lukic afraid of music? His movies have far too much dead space. Sequences that desperately need music to maintain interest and enhance character interaction. Too many moments were left without music and most that did used some weird ambient, barely registered noise in the background. Using sound design alone does not make your movie sound more cinematic... it makes it sound cheap. Do not watch any episode of B:TAS before this movie (or perhaps the more apt comparison, and episode of GL:TAS). The difference is stark.

As for how they edit dialogue and how actors individual line readings bounce off one another, I'll leave it to this review from SuperHeroHype to sum it up:

The dialogue also feels off, like it’s been mixed with inappropriate pauses. Some animated movies let the voice cast record in one room, but Beware My Power very obviously didn’t. There’s a scene near the end where Stewart awkwardly comforts another character, and it feels so disconnected that it comes off as ridiculous.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I'll echo what everyone else has been saying. Good, but not great.

I do think they tried to do too much in the script, with too many moving parts. I think Stewart was supposed to be our everyman, who we are meant to empathise with and see all the craziness through his eyes. Instead, he simply got lost in the shuffle amongst more memorable characters.

My only major complaint is a technical one. Why is Butch Lukic afraid of music? His movies have far too much dead space. Sequences that desperately need music to maintain interest and enhance character interaction. Too many moments were left without music and most that did used some weird ambient, barely registered noise in the background. Using sound design alone does not make your movie sound more cinematic... it makes it sound cheap. Do not watch any episode of B:TAS before this movie (or perhaps the more apt comparison, and episode of GL:TAS). The difference is stark.

As for how they edit dialogue and how actors individual line readings bounce off one another, I'll leave it to this review from SuperHeroHype to sum it up:
Are group records done at all anymore? Regardless, Beware the Power was the first of these DTVs they did completely during the covid shutdown so that could account for the line readings and music and dead space feeling off. Might.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Are group records done at all anymore? Regardless, Beware the Power was the first of these DTVs they did completely during the covid shutdown so that could account for the line readings and music and dead space feeling off. Might.
I think they are still done at times with core cast members of an animated series, but almost never for a DTV or video game these days.

Still, almost all the Timm and Tucker movies would have been recorded separately and I don't remember it ever being a problem, even when Gleason took over. This seems to be an issue with Lukic/Bruce King, as even Superman: Man of Tomorrow had this problem. A weird creative choice on Lukic's part?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I think they are still done at times with core cast members of an animated series, but almost never for a DTV or video game these days.

Still, almost all the Timm and Tucker movies would have been recorded separately and I don't remember it ever being a problem, even when Gleason took over. This seems to be an issue with Lukic/Bruce King, as even Superman: Man of Tomorrow had this problem. This seems like a weird creative choice on Lukic's part.
Hmm, I don't think it's King since he also edited for Soul of the Dragon and I don't recall any weird things but maybe there was.... Idk, I think sound issues wise, the actual issue might be them using multiple recording studios. From Apokolips War and before it used to just be one place where things were recorded at Salami Studios but after that MoT used 2, TLH used 6-7, JSA used 8, and this movie used 5 I think.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts