Happy 20th Anniversary, "Batman: The Animated Series!"

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter

Twenty years ago today, Batman: The Animated Series debuted and, essentially, changed everything. As viewers all tuned in for the first time - be it for the actual first episode to air "The Cat and The Claw, Part One," or for any of the other special 'premiere' episodes to air over the following couple of days - it was obvious there was something a little different about this series. And, I think, we all knew it based on just the name. Batman: The Animated Series. What is it about that name that seems so . . . iconic? So definitive? I think that alone made the attraction to the series even stronger. And, like I said, millions of children, and adults, were sitting down to watch this show. It was Saturday morning, and I wasn’t watching.

In fact, I missed the Saturday premiere, “The Cat & The Claw, Part One,” and the special Sunday-premiered episode “On Leather Wings,” too. It wasn’t until Monday, September 7th, 1992, when “Heart of Ice” played. And I barely caught it, too. I actually had no idea there were two special weekend airings. Remember, this was before the internet and TV Guides, while handy, weren't really prominent in my house. We received a monthly guide that was notoriously out of date. And late. It never arrived on time. I caught a few commercials for Batman: The Animated Series over the summer, but none had any specific timeslot details until we inched closer to September and, even then, I must have missed the ones that promoted the special airings. I can remember leaping over furniture as the time ticked down to the 4pm start time on that Monday. I managed to set up the VCR and flip it to Fox just in time and . . . wow. I was hooked. No one could move me. As “Heart of Ice” unfolded, I couldn’t be budged from the spot at all. Except for the TV, everything around me was silent and still. And that was the beginning of a love affair that has lasted the better part of twenty years. Even as a young kid, I knew this was different.

Sure, other cartoons have come and gone, but Batman: The Animated Series has reigned supreme ever since. Unquestionably. X-Men: The Animated Series? Fun and rewatchable, but it is sometimes hard to look beyond the animation. Spider-Man: The Animated Series? Not bad, but it falls apart quickly once we get into the second season. But Batman: The Animated Series . . . this show was different. I always return to this show, regardless of whatever I find myself watching. I actually just watched "On Leather Wings" this past Sunday, likely for the hundredth time or so, and it still has the 'wow' factor. The animation, the pacing, the characters, the ... everything. And the same can be said about a lot of episodes. "Heart of Ice" still gets to me. "The Demon's Quest" is still a rollicking adventure piece. This should has ... something about it that will always be timeless.

And, I didn't realize it then watching that first episode, but this series has had a long-lasting impact on my life in countless ways. My hobbies, my interests, my goals, a fair amount of those can be tied back to this very show. It inspired my writing, my art, my taste in music and appreciation of movies. I actually wanted to be a policeman for the longest time because of this show. And there are times I wish I still took that option. All of that I got from Batman: The Animated Series. The simple, yet complex, designs of each character. The dialogue that never spoke down to the viewer. The amazing score, a score that I am so glad is finally seeing the light of day. And the cinematic direction of each episode, each episode itself having a film noir serial feel. I could go one and one about this series, but many have before me, and better, I might add. I don’t claim to be the most skilled writer ever, but you don't have to be a genius wordsmith to write this obvious truth: this series is one that will remain.

I can remember watching an episode as it premiered, usually at 4pm on Fox, and then watching it later that night, taped on my VCR. I can remember going through so many tapes. I never really taped shows before Batman: The Animated Series, and this was pretty much my crash-course. I had to learn about different tape speed and quality, trying to decide whether to sacrifice the space on a tape or the quality of the image. And blank tapes were costly! But this show started it all for me. Next thing I knew, I was reading the comics, the toys, and finding anything I could related to the show. But, of course, with time that sort of withered. I stopped buying toys, but stuck with the comics and the odd book (mostly depending on the art and story), but my interest in Batman: The Animated Series didn’t end there. It never really did. Even though I had episodes tapes off television, I bought whatever episodes were released by Warner Home Video so there would hopefully be more and more. I always made sure to show my support for this series in any way I could.

In fact, it’s basically the whole reason for this site. True, this site did start as a Superman: The Animated Series message board, but that was only because at the time, there were already a couple great Batman: The Animated Series sites up - namely Batman: The Animated Homepage and the original The Animated Bat website. The Animated Bat, home to the Bat-Toon Board, surged when The New Batman Adventures hit Kids’WB!, but slowly disappeared after that. Batman: The Animated Homepage, to make it really simple, merged with my Superman: The Animated Message Board (along with my Batman Beyond: The Animated Message Board and Batman: The Animated Message Board) and basically became this site. Now, it’s much more complicated than that. To anyone who's been around here since the board originally started in 1998, you know that there were major changes made almost constantly from the get-go. The site was always evolving, with nary a year going by without some major changes, the biggest of which easily being Toonzone welcoming us into the fold. I know I'm doing a massive injustice to everyone who helped and worked on this site over the years by glossing over it so much. I’m sure a lot of them even remember posting here, and I’m sure some of them still view the board. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the notorious banned folks aren’t also peaking in (I know of at least two or three from way, way back - and I mean the 1990s - are). But that’s a whole different topic for another time!

Now where was I? Ah yes! Batman: The Animated Series. You know, I'd say that it’s hard to believe that twenty years ago so many of us where sitting down to watch this show, but it's not. We knew the quality when we saw the commercials, or read an article about the show's debut. We knew. What makes me thrilled is how we all latched on to it and, twenty years later, we're keeping it alive. Heck, the creators on this series kept it going even when working on different shows, and grew an entire universe out of it. It’s incredible for a show, any show, to still have such an impact on the fan base, and the industry, as a whole. When you think about it, the impact this show had on everything that came after it is truly stunning. There is an obvious influence in nearly every action/animated series from here on in thanks to Batman: The Animated Series. Who knew that, when we all sat down to watch this show, a whole universe would spawn from this series? That after it, Superman: The Animated Series would begin. That the creators behind the series would look into the future with the Batman Beyond. Of course, there’s also Justice League, as well, which would bring everything together in the end. Quite amazing, yes? And that's just counting the in-continuity DC Comics based shows. There are countless others obviously influenced by this series.

And it was the creators behind this show that made it so absolutely amazing. We had the likes of Bruce Timm, Alan Burnett, Paul Dini, Eric Radomski, Stan Berkowtiz, Dwayne McDuffie, Boyd Kirkland, Dan Riba, Michael Reaves, Hilary Bader, among many others, who contributed. Even comic greats like Dennis O’Neil and Len Wein stepped in. And I know I’m missing awhile lot of people here, but there are just so many people that deserve thanking. Everyone had a role to play in the show, and the role was always crucial one. The storyboard artists, writers, designers, everything had to be in tandem to get the amazing results we were privileged to see. And that, to me, made the episodes work. Yes, sometimes the results weren’t all that good, I’ll admit, but you could always count on something memorable, even from the worst episodes (like that ridiculous screwdriver/sword duel in “I’ve Got A Batman In My Basement”). Even the spin-off comics enjoyed a wealth of talent that included the likes of Mike Parobeck, Ty Templeton, Rick Burchett, Kelley Puckett, Scott Peterson, Dan Slott, and a pile more of endlessly brilliant folks.

But everything came together in this series. Driven by powerful scores, thanks to the late (and missed) Shirley Walker, this show was something to behold. Kristopher Carter, Michael McCuistion, Lolita Ritmanis also contributed, among many others, some memorable and unforgettable music. Music, by the way, that were are finally seeing releases after years of requests and waiting. Batman: The Animated Series is just the show that keeps on giving.

And who could forget Kevin Conroy as Batman? Or Mark Hammill as The Joker. And the list goes on, people. This series was cast perfectly. Every last role. I dare you to say otherwise. I won't bother listing every one because we already know them. If say "Paul Williams," you know which character he played. Or "Loren Lester." "Bob Hastings." The talent, and how synonymous they became with their characters, is pretty astounding. Not for every role, mind you, but every major role was memorable.

There’s so much that can be touched upon here that I don’t think I could do it justice. I could write for days baout this show. Not sure most of it would be worth reading, but I have plenty to say. And there's so many people, countless people, who deserve thanking. I mean, besides, this posting is pretty much scribblings on a napkin when it comes to the likes of Batman: Animated, which has covered this show in so much fantastic detail. But I wanted to mark today, this day, as an important day for us animation fans.

Batman: The Animated Series will always remain that perfect distillation of what this character means. The perfect blend of ... everything. In those first 85 episodes, a perfect world was created for these characters. Everything fell into place and what we got was the Batman. This is my Batman, as far as I'm concerned. The perfect rendition of the character. Forget Burton, Nolan, Morrison, Miller, Synder, Aparo, Breyfogle, Adams, all of them. As prolific and historic as all those works can be considered, this, to me, is what got everything right. The comics can't beat it. The movies can't beat it. Even characters I cared little for here, at least, became a little bit more interesting. It has that quality about it that no other show had (or, debatably, has).

Even though some of the situations were quite fantastic, there was always a down to earth quality about them. Whether it was the Joker, Two-Face, or even Ra’s Al Ghul, every character seemed seeped in believability. This wasn't just an ordinary action cartoon, but it had the trappings of a serious drama. Real characters embodied those shells, and we followed every step of the way because of that. Sure, there were elements that sometimes strained our beliefs in what could be done, but everything worked in Batman’s world. Every impossible jump, every convoluted plan, everything. It all worked. And it was something to behold.

I guess, in the end, what kept me, and many others, going back to Batman: The Animated Series for years to come was how the show respected the characters. I think that has to do with the love the creators had for these amazing fictional creations, and it was a practice that continues on for many other related shows down the line. You could feel their appreciation for the characters and the hard work of the world they built in every frame. This was their show, and it was a labor of love. The creative team here stripped away the ridiculous and unnecessary aspects of the comic book lore and presented us with the best. They even created a few new things along the way, too, be it characters or status-quo alterations, which, in effect, brought out the best in the character, be it Batman, Superman, or whoever. They knew what worked, what didn’t, and what needed to be changed. What had a more dramatic impact? What was more important to the core of their character? What mattered most to them? What was real? They brought all these questions to the table and, from that, they created an amazing world.

And to think - this all started with Batman: The Animated Series. Twenty years ago. As we watched Batman chase down Red Claw and tangle with Catwoman, we knew what we were watching was pretty much golden, but who knew it's have such an everlasting effect That we’d be watching some of the most iconic, historic, and important animation we’d ever bear witness to? Animation that, to this day, is still an obvious influence on what we see on television. Quite an amazing legacy.

I could go on and on, but I'll spare you.

Happy 20th.

What are your thoughts and memories for Batman: The Animated Series' 20th Anniversary?

With luck, expect at least one 20th-anniversary themed special interview here at The World's Finest later this month!

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
To be honest, I only recently bega watching the show. But I can tell that the show has staying power. 20 years later, and the re-runs still air on TV. Wow. Its rare that a show can attract kids and adults, comic fans and the "general audience", but this show managed.

In a way, I guess today would also be the 20th anniversary of the DCAU universe.

Wonderwall

Staff member
I can't believe it's been 20 years. The show more or less premiered on my first day of school. I'll always remember they would show it in the mornings before I left for school and it would be shown again when I would get back. Before then I was watching cartoons like Transformers, He-Man, GI Joe, and a whole shwack of others that while I watched regularly they were my brother's shows since he saw them around the age I was at the time. But Batman was my show since I was there from day 1. Although Cat and the Claw came out first and I know I saw it my first memory is always of the actual first episode On Leather Wings. When I revisited the show back in 2004 I was amazed on how much I remembered but also how much I either forgot or didn't appreciate when I was just a child.

I've always loved the Batman character, my first intros to him were the 60s show and the 89 movie( I also had a few comics and lots of merchandise too ). But there was something special about this that I knew even then. He looked so cool, he sounded so cool( what a find in Kevin Conroy and while his voice has changed there's still that dark low quality that always stayed ), his classic villains were great but it also introduced me to ones that I didn't know about or ones that were created for the show that went on to become part of his mythos for real. It probably has my favorite version of the Batmobile with that loud engine noise.

I remember how creepy it was for a kid at the time, one of my buddies from high school told me the scene when the guys make Clayface always scared him because you only see their silhouettes dumping stuff down his throat. One of my other friends was new to the country and didn't speak much English but he knew who Batman was and it kind of goes back to what Bruce Timm said about the main theme on one of the DVDs that they didn't want a title in the opening because they knew no matter where in the world you were you knew it was Batman. It wasn't until years later that I showed him that yes Batman did survive being locked in a garbage can at the bottom of the Bay.

I could go on and on but I think that's enough for now. Happy Anniversary BTAS!

VladDraculi

I remember sitting front of the tv waiting for the premier to start and could not believe how incredible it was. It is amazing to think that no Batman series has been anywhere near the quality of this one in 20 years. With that said, I have been celebrating by watching various episodes for the last 2 hours. I started with The Cat and the Claw, went to The Forgotten, Off-Balance, and just finished The Man Who Killed Batman. I think I am going to watch Read My Lips, Trial, and then finish it off with The Legend of the Dark Knight and maybe even Mask of the Phantasm.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
A great write-up James...

I could probably sit here and rant about how much I love this show, but I'll spare you all. Bottom line is I love it... A LOT.

For me, it's still the quintessential Batman. The perfect distillation of everything that makes the character great. Everything from the designs to the animation to the stories to the actors to the music...

The best superhero cartoon ever made and one could argue one of the best cartoons ever. It (coupled with the Burton movies) single handedly made me the Bat-fanatic I am today. I wish I could say I'm surprised the show is celebrating it's 20th, but considering I'm now 22 years of age, it's not all that shocking... though time has done nothing to diminish the impact of this amazing show. It's meant alot to me my whole life.

So thanks to Bruce Timm, Eric Radomski, Alan Burnett, Paul Dini, all the directors, writers and composers... the amaing voice actors (Especially Kevin Conroy.) and everyone who was involved in the making of the show.

Happy 20th Batman: The Animated Series.

ShadowStar

Happy 20th to Batman: The Animated Series! The Dark Knight's world came alive in this show in a way not seen before or since. Gotham was perfectly depicted, and the same can be said for its cast of characters. The storytelling, music, voice acting and artwork came together in what I've always felt is the quintessential superhero cartoon. There is so much to savour in every episode as the show effortlessly immerses you in this world, and you'd have to have a heart of stone (or ice, steel etc. ;)) to walk away from certain episodes without feeling something for the characters whose lives were turned upside down. B:TAS was, and is, a show where drama and depth are in abundance.

I was an avid fan of the episodes that were released on video, and I followed the Cartoon Network and terrestrial TV airings as well. The eventual DVD releases were certainly a revelation, not to mention the soundtrack releases since then. I thought some of the magic would be lost on me when I purchased the DVDs, but nope, the series was as stellar as ever.

So many great and stirring moments from the series have stayed with me over the years... Man-Bat's shocking transformation in "On Leather Wings", the belltower fight in "Perchance to Dream", the operatic finale of "Birds of a Feather", Batgirl leaping into action at the rally in "Shadow of the Bat part 1", crestfallen Jervis Tetch at the end of "Mad as a Hatter"... Like other posters, I could go on and on, but you get the gist of it.

It's an interesting coincidence that I picked today to listen to the Mask of the Phantasm score again (I didn't realise it was the anniversary!). It's one of the many spectacular things to come from this show, and I know that I'll be watching this show and listening to its music for many more years to come.

VladDraculi

Good idea: Watching a few hours worth of BTAS to celebrates its anniversary.
Bad idea: Watching The Batman an hour after watching BTAS.

Bat Bruce

I won't go on a long winding reflection of the series and what it did for the legacy of my first man crush (Nathan Fillion being the second :)) I'll just say thank you to everyone who ever worked on the show that is still as amazing to watch today as it was when it first debuted.

I'll also likely always remember the nightmare of trying to see Feat of Clay part 2, curse you Sky for not showing Cartoon Network late on Fridays!! You're still up there on my enemies list!

Graywulf76

Shadow Gentleman
As someone who only recently finished watching the entire series, I can say that it still holds up as not only one of the best animated series ever made, but possibly one of the greatest series ever made in general. It has great story lines, music, voice acting and, above all else, atmosphere. It even has a heavy amount of emotional effect.

Happy Birthday, Batman. May you spend many more as my favorite series of all time.

Also, when someone wants me to give them an example of "mature American animation", I just make them watch "Heart of Ice" . They usually shut up after that.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter

VladDraculi

Those were interesting, especially his reasons about why the show ended up being so good.

BTW, was it ever stated why the DVDs do not have the episodes in order? I mean, I understand why The Cat and the Claw would have both parts together, but why is that two parter not until the third disc when it aired in the first week (and pt 1 was the series premier).

Wonderwall

Staff member
I think the DVDs have them in production order( or close to it ) rather than air dates. Which is probably why Cat and the Claw was on disc 3 instead of disc 1.

ShadowStar

I think the DVDs have them in production order( or close to it ) rather than air dates. Which is probably why Cat and the Claw was on disc 3 instead of disc 1.

That's right, although the individual episodes for the two-parters weren't produced back to back so the DVDs pair them for the sake of convenience. To give an example, production order puts "Heart of Steel part 1" as episode #38 and "Heart of Steel part 2" as episode #44, but the DVDs put them as episodes #38 and #39. The DVDs follow production order except where the second part of a given two-parter is brought forward to finish that story.

The exception is "Heart of Ice" (episode #14 in production order)... It was produced after "The Cat and the Claw part 1" (#13 in production order), so it should come after that two-parter, but the goal with the first few DVD volumes was to put 7 episodes on each disc, which would've meant that "The Cat and the Claw" would've had to be spread over two discs. So "Heart of Ice" was brought forward.

jkoolpe

Wow...20 years! What to post that hasn't already been said?

I remember the premiere week well...I was visiting relatives and had to set my mom's VCR to record the premiere episodes. I had read about the series in the local paper I think it was which is the only reason I knew to do so. I messed up and didn't get the first airing, but I caught all of the subsequent airings for the next week.

I remember thinking to myself when I read the aforementioned article: "Here we go again...another Batman series that will no doubt be a dud with the best thing to say about it will be that the little kiddies will love it." I then vividly remember after seeing my first couple of episodes (especially "Heart of Ice") sitting on the edge of my seat and repeating over and over again in my mind: "They...finally...got...it....RIGHT!" I was ecstatic...

From the get-go I was hearing that fantastic music and repeating/rerunning so many of the scenes in my mind (yes, I'm geeky that way)...Mr. Freeze's heartwrenching speech as he is languishing in his cell at the end of "Heart of Ice," Batman's chilling "It's over....for now..." line at the end of "On Leather Wing," Poison Ivy's uber-creepy "We always grow back!" line at the end of "Pretty Poison," Clayface's demonic laughing at the end of "Feat of Clay"...the list just goes on and on...

And the casting...right away I could hear the difference. And then I would look at the cast list in the end credit and see actors' names that I knew from various other movies and TV shows. This wasn't just voice actors hired off of the street...these were real actors and actresses giving it their all. How they ever thought to cast Mark Hamill as the Joker I will never know (actually, I think he requested to try out for the role being the big comic book fan that he is :) ), but what a decision it was! And Mr. Conroy continues to be the definitive Batman voice of all time in my book.

Gotta give shout outs to all of the other cast and guest stars, too...just too many to list here is all. But I will give Michael Ansara (Mr. Freeze), Richard Moll (Two Face), and Roddy McDowell (The Mad Hatter) special mention...R.I.P. Mr. McDowell.

Did I mention the music? :) We miss you Ms. Walker :( .

I was in my mid-20s at the time, and I knew right away that this show as something special and then some.

Happy birthday again to B:TAS!

Jonathan

p.s. Warner Bros...if you're listening...any chance on the best Batman movie of all time (Mask of the Phantasm of course) on Blu-ray? ;)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
No matter how much I'd write about this show, the bottom line would be the same: "I love this show!". It's still my favorite Batman animated series and has the best representation of the Dark Knight. At the time the show premiered the only real exposure I had to Batman, were some episodes from the 60s live-action series starring Adam West and a couple of episodes from The New Adventures of Batman cartoon. And of course the Batman and Batman Returns movies. Unlike most here, I wasn't a fan of this show from the very beginning but that was mainly because I didn't get to watch it regularly until a couple of years after its premiere. I managed to catch a couple of episodes here and there and while I thought they were pretty cool at that time, it wasn't until I started watching it regularly that I became a "true" fan. And I'm still a fan even now, 20 years later. This show has the perfect mix of action, drama, suspense and even some comedy here and there. Looking back, this was the show that got me into DC Comics (in a similar fashion how X-Men: The Animated Series got me into Marvel Comics around the same time) and was my introduction to some other big-names from DC, even though practically none of them appeared in the cartoon. Interesting that years later another Batman animated series, The Brave and the Bold, would introduce me to a lot of more obscure characters from the comics (but that's a story for another time - maybe The Brave and the Bold's 20th anniversary :p).

It's remarkable how well Batman: TAS still stands as one of the best (if not the best) superhero cartoon series ever made. Pretty much everything this show did was perfect. The characters were well developed and the stories were great. The animation was for the most part good and the music was always a pleasure to listen to. I really like how the creative team took stuff from various eras of the comics and put them all together to make this show. In some cases, they improved some of the characters and even created some new characters by themselves along the way. Some of the episodes were faithful adaptations of the comics, but others while having their roots in the comics had certain twists that made them more unique. I think this method of taking only some of the best ideas from the comics and re-working them into something new helped the show become so successful. It's a method that has been used in pretty much every superhero cartoon that appeared since Batman: TAS, and it is a technique I plan on using myself, the day I'll finally be hired to write for an animated series. Sure there are a few episodes that aren't that great, but even these ones have some neat stuff in them. I don't think there are any bad episodes of Batman: TAS; some episodes are less impressive than others, but still good. For the most part, the episodes are awesome, and quite a few of them are real masterpieces.

As for Batman: TAS being the first chapter or the prologue to the entire DCAU, it's incredible to see how this animated universe evolved from a single show starring for the most part a single superhero, to the Justice League Unlimited show which had over 50 superheroes in the same place. It's amazing how well some of the stories were spread throughout various shows over the years. For example, Mr. Freeze's saga. But of course what's even more amazing is the fact that it all started with Batman: TAS, and the revised origin the writers gave this villain. Every villain introduced on the show made some great stories possible. The Joker, Two-Face, Mad Hatter, Penguin, Catwoman, Poison Ivy, Clayface, and everyone else. I can't really choose a favorite villain from this series because they were all so good. The storytelling in some of the episodes that dealt with the villains' origins is amazing. As well as the voice acting which obviously helped a lot in making all the characters on the show so likeable. Kevin Conroy is still my favorite Batman voice. Mark Hamill is still my favorite Joker voice. And while not my all-time favorites, the other character's voices on this show are still all very good.

Many thanks to Bruce Timm, Paul Dini, Eric Radomski, Alan Burnett, Frank Paur, Boyd Kirkland - all the producers, directors, writers, music composers, voice actors, and everyone else no matter how small and (seemingly) unimportant their contribution was to this amazing show. Happy 20th Anniversary, Batman: The Animated Series! I think it's safe to say the show will never be surpassed or even equaled (or at least not for a very long time), and even then the show would still be considered "immortal".

Looking Back

I can't believe it's been 20 years. I was a senior in high school and I watched and taped every episode on my vcr. This show is special to me. This is the best show ever made and the only show I have watched very closely. This led to Superman, Justice League, and JLU, which I also followed as close to Batman. There has been other DC stuff like Smallville, Lois & Clark, and Birds Of Prey, but it don't hold a candle compared to the show. Even the movies made of Batman and Superman can't compare to how great the show was. You know I hope that WB would just one day revive this show just like Family Guy or Futurama came back to tv. Just an idea. Oh, well. Happy Birthday Batman the Animated Series. Thank you to Bruce Timm, Paul Dini, and all the other guys involved. This show will stand the test the time as the greatest masterpiece in DC Comics history and animated history. Simply the best.

littlemiss76

I was 16 when this show first aired and I found it by accident really on a Friday afternoon after school I was shocked and amazed by it that every Friday I would make sure I was home to watch it. I recently showed it to my son and he said it was the best Batman cartoon he ever watched too, now he is addicted to it. With all the cartoons getting a reboot I honestly think this one should and of course including the original Voice cast like Kevin Conroy (still the best ever Batman voice), Mark Hamill, Tara Strong (yeah I know she came with the TNBA but she did the voice of Batgirl better then Melissa Gilbert), Loren Lester, Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. to name a few. Even a feature length would be good to mark the 20th Anniversary.
[h=1][/h]

Miyamoto Musashi

Law Enforcer
I kept thinking this was released in October and not September, so I missed the anniversary
It's still my favorite animated show to date, and I congratulate the people behind them on this achievement

SF4Ever

I remember watching the Fox television network on September 7, 1992, when the Batman premiere episode, "The Cat & the Claw Part 1" premiered on Saturday morning at 10:30 a.m. I saw part 2, the following Saturday morning and watched the show, during the week, too. There's no question that this Batman series is one of the finest animated adventure series of all-time and it came complete with an ensemble voice-over cast. I still remember watching Mark Hamill, a.k.a. the Joker, being interviewed on Entertainment Tonight, where he admitted to frightening some motorists on the Los Angeles freeway while practicing his Joker laugh(Come on, people- he's practicing his lines for a top-rated cartoon show). Who would've guessed that Kevin Conroy would spend more than 10 years as the Caped Crusader in various television series, connected to Batman. As a matter of fact, I happen to have Volume 1 of the animated Batman series, which aired on Fox. The show was a real winner for Warner Bros., but as we know, two years later, Disney came up with its answer to Batman by premiering Gargoyles, with the same dark tone, hard-hitting action, fast-paced adventure, set in New York(Batman is set in Gotham City, which we know, in real life, is New York). Batman was the show to watch, back then. I can't wait until Cartoon Network launches Beware the Batman in 2013.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

CNC
Another family emergency update (long story short):

After charging in and out of the hospital a few more times, my mother had to do a colonoscopy earlier this month and they detected colon cancer. So yesterday, she underwent colon surgery and is now 100% cancer-free.

Now she's in the ICU due to very low blood pressure, still in the process of recovery.
"Crabgrass" is coming back and also in newspapers from Monday, it's a great comic strip if you've not checked it out, you should. “Crabgrass” Will Officially Launch in Newspapers on Monday | GoComics.com
Why does society keep devolving for the last century or so, why is America 50 years behind where it should’ve been? And anybody who tries to makes things better will be swept under the rug or get screwed over by cancer or disease.

I hate to get political here especially but for what happened today I can’t help
Just sending out hearts and hugs to anyone who needs them on this awful day. You're not alone.
Hi, new profile picture I guess

Featured Posts