Has anyone heard or seen My dad the rockstar?

Santana434

Does anyone remember my dad the rockstar, a Canadian show that aired on Nickelodeon and Nicktoons Network from 2005 up until like 2007. I haven’t seen it back in the day, but I give the show a watch on YouTube. I have to admit the premise is decent enough, the artwork is pretty good, but the writing and the characters… yeah that’s a different story it felt lackluster. Like for example, the main character Willy himself is pretty bland even for a main protagonist I mean he’s just your typical nerdy kid who wants to be popular at school. And the stories/episodes themselves they are pretty bland and boring as hell and none of them entertained me tbh. The show has a good concept but the show itself was just boring and bland to watch. So anyways, what are your thoughts on this show.

Attachments

• 4C8C9DF4-7C84-46EF-95D4-CC8F8F260777.jpeg
    4C8C9DF4-7C84-46EF-95D4-CC8F8F260777.jpeg
    274.7 KB · Views: 36

Silverstar

Jet Flyin', Limousine Ridin'
I caught some episodes when my household first got satellite in 2005. I thought the idea behind the show was better than the show itself. The premise had potential, but the stories and characters were pretty bland and generic. The show definitely should have leaned further into the 'rich rock star/crazy celebrity lifestyle' aspect than the typical school BS.

Fun trivia fact: the titular rock star dad, Rock Zilla, was loosely patterned after Gene Simmons, front man of KISS.

Last edited:

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
This show S------UCKED. The End. And before anyone comes at me..... YES, I experienced that suckiness as a middle/high schooler and said suckiness hasn't left me, even as an adult, honestly.

Now, I almost, ALMOST have to wonder what would happen if this was an anime, however - I bet it would be better recieved, despite still being boring, generic nonsense, only thanks to having slightly better art. Nah, if it were an anime and still as sucky as it is, now - I'd very likely dislike it even more, sadly enough.

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
I seen one or two episodes on Nicktoons Network when I was a kid, it didn't really catch my interest. The only thing I remember the show was the art style and the dad character, and that's about it.

Pooky

Staff member
I could have sworn the title was My Dad Is a Rock Star, but apparently not, this is just what they sing in the title song. Would have been a better and more appropriate title but never mind.

Not only was the lead character loosely based on Gene Simmons, the show was created by him too. I had no knowledge of this show when it was new, but read about it and watched a couple of episodes ahead of seeing KISS in concert about five years ago. The first episode just about held my attention, but the second was kind of a tough sit.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Fun trivia fact: the titular rock star dad, Rock Zilla, was loosely patterned after Gene Simmons, front man of KISS.
Interestingly enough, he was the one who created the show, not to mention that it was originally conceived as a Kiss cartoon on Fox Kids under Saban Entertainment but it didn't materialise after a fall out between him and Haim Saban.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts