HBO Max 're-examining' presence of children's programming

Moe

Yeah, I guess so.
Same with DC Universe contents - it wasn't included in HBO Max at launch until numbers of subscription dwindle and expensive to make new contents with low numbers of subscribers, so they conceded and moved most of DC Universe to HBO Max.

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
Same with DC Universe contents - it wasn't included in HBO Max at launch until numbers of subscription dwindle and expensive to make new contents with low numbers of subscribers, so they conceded and moved most of DC Universe to HBO Max.
Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if Boomerang Stream will be going through the same thing.

Reactions: Moe

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
HBO Max is, interestingly, pulling back on live-action children's programming.

Huh.

If that's the case, then what's gonna happen to other live action shows and specials that Cartoon Network and HBO Max greenlight awhile ago like Home Sweet Rome (Family Mashup), Tweety Mysteries, 2 American Girl specials, Peyton List's B-Loved 2-part special, and Degrassi reboot?

I know the article mention HBO Max specifically, but still, what's going to happen to those?

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
Huh.

If that's the case, then what's gonna happen to other live action shows and specials that Cartoon Network and HBO Max greenlight awhile ago like Home Sweet Rome (Family Mashup), Tweety Mysteries, 2 American Girl specials, Peyton List's B-Loved 2-part special, and Degrassi reboot?

I know the article mention HBO Max specifically, but still, what's going to happen to those?

All those shows were slated for simultaneous release on CN and HBO Max. If the MAX side of WBD is pulling out, I don't think those shows will live just for CN's sake.

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
All those shows were slated for simultaneous release on CN and HBO Max release. If the MAX side of WBD is pulling out, I don't think those shows will live just for CN's sake.
Yeah, I can see what you're coming from. Though, I'm not sure if those shows were coming out though.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
I want Warner Bros. Animation to go deep into their vaults for reboots of more obscure properties in their possession. Some I had in mind were The Mighty Orbots (a MGM production that ended up in Turner's hands), Marine Boy (an anime that Seven Arts, which later purchased WB, distributed outside Japan in the 1960s), and The Pirates of Dark Water (an early 90s Hanna-Barbera series).

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
While live-action children's programming is being scaled back, animated programming seems to be okay.

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
Not to go off topic, but I'd heard that Netflix and Disney Plus has been struggling with their original live action kids and family content for awhile (not as bad as HBO Max, but still shaky).

Could this be that case that Netflix and Disney Plus will most likely follow suit by cutting back live action kids content?

Moe

Could this be that case that Netflix and Disney Plus will most likely follow suit by cutting back live action kids content?
Likely live action shows with fewer episodes (10 episodes compared to normal 26 episodes on cable TV) or scripted shows that make kids watch at screen longer.

Warner Bros. Discovery Confirms Kids’ Content Cuts

https://deadline.com/2022/08/warner-bros-discovery-kids-content-cuts-1235085523/
Kids and animated content are set for a broad swath of cuts across Warner Bros. Discovery.
Warner Bros. Discovery CFO Gunnar Wiedenfels, on the company’s earnings call, confirmed that kids and animation content, across both streaming and linear networks, would be cut “without an adequate investment case against them.”
He added that the company was also set for significant reductions in external content sales as it prioritizes HBO Max. It will largely halt new content licensing deals.
“This is, of course, an upside opportunity over time as we ramp initiatives back to a balanced level of monetization, depending on relative value contributions,” he said.
Oooooh boy.

Action!

no-please-no.gif

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts