HBO Max 're-examining' presence of children's programming

StellaMagic

no-please-no.gif
I say we boycott HBO Max until they make a kids division. This isn’t fair to the kids if they don’t have anything to watch.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
I say we boycott HBO Max until they make a kids division. This isn’t fair to the kids if they don’t have anything to watch.
We don't know that they're not going to do that. We don't know much of anything yet. I'm concerned about the cartoons that I like too, but it's pointless to work ourselves into a collective dither about this until we learn what's being cut and what isn't.

We can't boycott HBO Max because come summer 2023, HBO Max and Discovery Plus will be morphed into a single service. As long as I can still watch the WB stuff I want to watch and the rates don't go up ridiculously high, Ill be OK with that; I just won't click on any of the Discovery windows.

In all likelihood Zaslav is going to slash some of the stuff that was greenlit before he took over, 'cause that's usually what happens when new ownership comes in. No doubt popularity will also play a factor in his decision making; there will likely still be DC, Hanna-Barbera and Looney Tunes stuff on the horizon, just not necessarily all of the stuff that's out there or has already been announced. (For example, I suspect that Jellystone! will be one of the shows that ends up on the chopping block, as that show isn't super-duper popular and it was made for streaming; Zaslav is a reality TV guy who wants to cut costs and favors theatrical movies and linear TV over shows made specifically for streaming.)

We know that there will still be DC stuff on the horizon, as WBD wants to compete with the MCU; Zaslav reportedly wants to bring in a Kevin Feige-like figure to oversee the DCEU, which let's face it, was a huge flipping mess long before Discovery came along.

Yeah, it sucks that so many people are going to lose their jobs and some good stuff will likely never see the light of day, but even a capitalist like Zaslav isn't foolish enough to ax and neglect the many, many profitable franchises his company owns. We're going to lose some stuff, sure, but there will still be kids' and family entertainment coming from Warner Discovery. I'm keeping my expectations low, but I'm not crying doom and gloom just yet.

Last edited:

Frank Coufal

We don't know that they're not going to do that. We don't know much of anything yet. I'm concerned about the cartoons that I like too, but it's pointless to work ourselves into a collective dither about this until we learn what's being cut and what isn't.

We can't boycott HBO Max because come summer 2023, HBO Max and Discovery Plus will be morphed into a single service. As long as I can still watch the WB stuff I want to watch and the rates don't go up ridiculously high, Ill be OK with that; I just won't click on any of the Discovery windows.

In all likelihood Zaslav is going to slash some of the stuff that was greenlit before he took over, 'cause that's usually what happens when new ownership comes in. No doubt popularity will also play a factor in his decision making; there will likely still be DC, Hanna-Barbera and Looney Tunes stuff on the horizon, just not necessarily all of the stuff that's out there or has already been announced. (For example, I suspect that Jellystone! will be one of the shows that ends up on the chopping block, as that show isn't super-duper popular and it was made for streaming; Zaslav is a reality TV guy who wants to cut costs and favors theatrical movies and linear TV over shows made specifically for streaming.)

We know that there will still be DC stuff on the horizon, as WBD wants to compete with the MCU; Zaslav reportedly wants to bring in a Kevin Feige-like figure to oversee the DCEU.

Yeah, it sucks that so many people are going to lose their jobs and some good stuff will likely never see the light of day, but even a capitalist like Zaslav isn't foolish enough to ax and neglect the many, many profitable franchises his company owns. We're going to lose some stuff, sure, but there will still be kids' and family entertainment coming from Warner Discovery. I'm keeping my expectations low, but I'm not crying doom and gloom just yet.
I'm hoping Jellystone isn't among the shows being affected, especially since it was renewed for an additional 40 episodes back in March. As of now, I'm asking myself whether or not they'll continue to make new Looney Tunes and Hanna-Barbera content in the future. I just hope there's good things to come out of this.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
I'm hoping Jellystone isn't among the shows being affected, especially since it was renewed for an additional 40 episodes back in March.

Close Enough had an entire 4th season planned, and that show still got canned. I personally hope Jellystone! doesn't get the ax, but I'm not the one making the decisions over at WBD. If they'll cancel a freaking Scooby-Doo movie, one set during the holiday season no less, which was guaranteed to make money, then nothing's untouchable.
As of now, I'm asking myself whether or not they'll continue to make new Looney Tunes and Hanna-Barbera content in the future. I just hope there's good things to come out of this.
Why wouldn't they? Looney Tunes and Hanna-Barbera are two of WB's most popular and profitable franchises; those characters are known and beloved all over the world (you could journey to the deepest heart of the Peruvian jungle and run into a tribe who live in mud huts and don't speak a word of English, but if you were to show up wearing a Bugs Bunny T-shirt they'd all point to it and say "What's Up, Doc?"). Letting them die off would be a phenomenally stupid move, career suicide in fact.

There will definitely be more Hanna-Barbera and Looney Tunes content going forward, it'll just be new stuff greenlit under the current management. When Disney bought Star Wars, they didn't kill the franchise off, they just terminated all the Star Wars stuff outside of the first 6 movies they didn't produce, then they went on to make their own Star Wars stuff which they didn't have to share with anyone they don't employ. Anyone who truly believes that David Zaslav is going to kill Looney Tunes and Hanna-Barbera truly doesn't understand how the entertainment industry works.

Last edited:

JMTV

The Adorkable One.

We know that there will still be DC stuff on the horizon, as WBD wants to compete with the MCU; Zaslav reportedly wants to bring in a Kevin Feige-like figure to oversee the DCEU, which let's face it, was a huge flipping mess long before Discovery came along.

Close Enough had an entire 4th season planned, and that show still got canned. I personally hope Jellystone! doesn't get the ax, but I'm not the one making the decisions over at WBD. If they'll cancel a freaking Scooby-Doo movie, one set during the holiday season no less, which was guaranteed to make money, then nothing's untouchable.

Why wouldn't they? Looney Tunes and Hanna-Barbera are two of WB's most popular and profitable franchises; those characters are known and beloved all over the world (you could journey to the deepest heart of the Peruvian jungle and run into a tribe who live in mud huts and don't speak a word of English, but if you were to show up wearing a Bugs Bunny T-shirt they'd all point to it and say "What's Up, Doc?"). Letting them die off would be a phenomenally stupid move, career suicide in fact.

There will definitely be more Hanna-Barbera and Looney Tunes content going forward, it'll just be new stuff greenlit under the current management. When Disney bought Star Wars, they didn't kill the franchise off, they just terminated all the Star Wars stuff outside of the first 6 movies they didn't produce, then they went on to make their own Star Wars stuff which they didn't have to share with anyone they don't employ. Anyone who truly believes that David Zaslav is going to kill Looney Tunes and Hanna-Barbera truly doesn't understand how the entertainment industry works.
Okay, you're right. Apologies if I come across as overreacting back there. Sometimes, I get too emotional.:sweat:

Anyways, I think those posts actually does makes me feel better about this. Thank you.

At the end of the day, it's not show friends, it's show business. As much as I don't agree with some of the decisions that Discovery is making lately, but hey, it is what it is (although, there are some that I do agree with like DC for example). As long as the kids content from WB are safe, then I don't think there's nothing to worry about.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
Okay, you're right. Apologies if I come across as overreacting back there. Sometimes, I get too emotional.:sweat:
Ah, no worries, man. You're fine. This has been a very jarring few days as far this goes.
Anyways, I think those posts actually does makes me feel better about this. Thank you.

At the end of the day, it's not show friends, it's show business. As much as I don't agree with some of the decisions that Discovery is making lately, but hey, it is what it is (although, there are some that I do agree with like DC for example). As long as the kids content from WB are safe, then I don't think there's nothing to worry about.
Yeah. While I'm not the biggest fan of the current Discovery, I don't agree with Zaslav's hack 'n' slash methodology, and I think he's being VERY old-timey and short-sighted on the popularity of original streaming series (while I appreciate his wanting to put stake into theatrical movies and TV, the fact remains that many people are abandoning TV for streaming and many are still wary of going back to theaters due to the pandemic, and also original streaming shows are one of the things that helped elevate HBO Max to what it is now, streaming is going to be a major player going forward whether we like it or not)...despite all of that, I've witnessed shake-ups like this before and so far they've never resulted in the end of entertainment. The man's going to cut some stuff that we like, that's all but guaranteed, not every WB animated project is going to make it out of this alive and that's unfortunate, but DC, Looney Tunes and Cartoon Network will indeed survive. They've all endured stuff like this before.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
That’s not to say there won’t be cuts, or even major cuts, to animated productions across Warner Bros. brands. However, there seems to be a great deal of misinformation and conjecture floating around. Contrary to several reports and some viral social media posts, nobody who spoke during the call said anything concrete about kids and animation content seeing a broad range of cuts across streaming and linear platforms.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Yeah, I know what they're aiming for here..... This CEO only wants REALITY TV to be the selling point. Where else are you gonna be able to watch any of this stuff without good old fashioned pirating, unfortunately? I'm down for a little rebellion, as it is, but yeah. WBD and their marketability/appeal to anyone's days are royally, royally numbered, going forward from here.
They have no new content to prop themselves up with and what they did have, they've either cancelled or are on the verge of canning.
Yeah..... I'd say to let nature take its course and let Armageddon come for this regime, honestly. Nobody is just gonna go back and be a slave to cable anymore. People who are smart will find better streaming platforms than this in response as well, at the end of the day.
I look forward to seeing all this deserved suffering. Damn shame - avoidable as it was.

Moe

flaboyblast

The movies are rotating for sure, but this is probably part of the purge that happens to Cartoon Network Studios shows. And don't even try to say that removing the Infinity Train soundtracks means going to Disney Plus. I'm not buying it. And Zaslav doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Moe

The movies are rotating for sure
Yes, it is for Harry Potter.

but this is probably part of the purge that happens to Cartoon Network Studios shows.
Yes, it is very brutal about what Discovery did to WB and most of us were very upset with Zaslav.

And don't even try to say that removing the Infinity Train soundtracks means going to Disney Plus. I'm not buying it.
Infinity Train is WB property and it will never go to Disney+ unless Disney buy their IP and all of their contents, also it means Disney would have to pay tax penalty to IRS to get IP back, especially if Discovery used as tax write-off.

It is very unlikely at best.

And Zaslav doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.
I agree with you and I despise Zaslav very, very, very MUCH.

TsWade2

I'm so glad I didn't subscribe to HBO Max. I was thinking to subscribe, but if they're going to get rid of Looney Tunes and Hanna Barbera old and new, then I'm not going to subscribe it.

Moe

I'm so glad I didn't subscribe to HBO Max. I was thinking to subscribe, but if they're going to get rid of Looney Tunes and Hanna Barbera old and new, then I'm not going to subscribe it.
I got access to HBO Max at no charge because of subscribed HBO via TV provider.

HBO Max hasn't add Looney Tunes since 2020 and they removed a lot of H-B shows last March or April 2022, also they didn't add HBO Max since December 2020 when 80s Smurfs was added to service.

Looney Tunes and DC are likely to be safe, but they cancelled Young Justice as far as I know.

I'm better going back to HBO Max to count the Looney Tunes shorts to see if there is disparity after Discovery's Greatest Purge.

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
The movies are rotating for sure, but this is probably part of the purge that happens to Cartoon Network Studios shows. And don't even try to say that removing the Infinity Train soundtracks means going to Disney Plus. I'm not buying it. And Zaslav doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.
Infinity Train for Disney+? No it won’t happen. If the Owl House doesn’t fit the Disney brand then Infinity Train doesn’t fit the Disney brand either.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts