"He-Man and the Masters of the Universe" (Netflix CGI Animated Series) News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Last Spider

Arachnid Dude
Perhaps but it's not 1983 anymore, the tastes of kids today are not the same as 1983.

Look at how wildly different the various TMNT and Transformers cartoons are. Really they tried to make a He-Man cartoon that was an updated version of the Flimation series in 2002, it went off the air after 2 seasons. I liked it, but it wasn't a hit with kids back then. I can see why Mattel would want to see what is popular with kids today and copy de lessons for this cartoon.
I look at TMNT and Transformers, and they actually keep a lot of the basics of the original series the same, and change things without needing to drastically overhaul them, so this comparison doesn't work, because if anything those series prove you can make a new iteration of something and keep the base elements of it while making changes, and then you bring up the 2002 cartoon except that was heavily praised and largely failed due to mismanagement from CN and Mattel not because there is anything wrong with the series itself.
Really all you're doing is saying that what they're doing with this show is pandering towards what think kinds like, and fail how pandering is ever supposed to be good.

The Overlord

I look at TMNT and Transformers, and they actually keep a lot of the basics of the original series the same, and change things without needing to drastically overhaul them, so this comparison doesn't work, because if anything those series prove you can make a new iteration of something and keep the base elements of it while making changes, and then you bring up the 2002 cartoon except that was heavily praised and largely failed due to mismanagement from CN and Mattel not because there is anything wrong with the series itself.
Really all you're doing is saying that what they're doing with this show is pandering towards what think kinds like, and fail how pandering is ever supposed to be good.
So should this cartoon pander to 40 plus fanboys instead?

The first TMNT cartoon had hardly anything in common with the Mirage Comics, was that TMNT in name only? What makes the Flimation version of version of MOTU the true version over the original mini-comic? Who gets to determine which version of these franchises are "the real one"?

Being slavish devoted to some supposed true version of the franchise says nothing about actual story telling.

Last edited:

Last Spider

Arachnid Dude
So should this cartoon pander to 40 plus fanboys instead?

The first TMNT cartoon had hardly anything in common with the Mirage Comics, was that TMNT in name only? What makes the Flimation version of version of MOTU the true version over the original mini-comic? Who gets to determine which version of these franchises are "the real one"?

Being slavish devoted to some supposed true version of the franchise says nothing about actual story telling.
You keep bringing up TMNT as if it's supposed to help your argument but it doesn't, just about every new adaptation of TMNT has managed keep enough of the things older fans loved and modernize the concept to bring in new fans without alienating the older ones, you've given me no reason why that can be done with He-Man.

The Overlord

You keep bringing up TMNT as if it's supposed to help your argument but it doesn't, just about every new adaptation of TMNT has managed keep enough of the things older fans loved and modernize the concept to bring in new fans without alienating the older ones, you've given me no reason why that can be done with He-Man.

And why do assume some older fans cannot enjoy this new cartoon? I have seen some older fans on other forums that think this could be good. It's just a trailer that came out, the show has not been released.

Frankly I dislike nerd nostalgia as an form of criticism, it promotes static story telling. I can apply it to anything, BTAS is a garbage because Mr. Freeze is a sympathetic character rather then the generic jewel that he was in the comics and they introduced characters like Harley Quinn who were not in the comics and gave her a bunch of screen time. It's why I used to roll my eyes when some fanboys complained that movie Whiplash didn't look exactly like his comic book counterpart in Iron Man 2 or some other thing that didn't exactly match the comics in these movies. Who decides what changes are good or bad?

If you do not like this show because it doesn't appeal to your nostalgia, that is your choice, but it's not a very compelling argument from my POV.

Will these changes work or not, I don't know, the show hasn't come out yet. One cannot make a sound judgment till then. Whether changes work or not depends on execution, otherwise it's just a creative choice you don't like and no show can please everyone.

This video does a good job explaining why I don't take a lot of the fanboy criticism of new MOTU shows very seriously:

Just to warn everyone, there is a little coarse language in that video.

Last edited:

Dragnatek

I got recommended that video but I was worried it was another video complaining about the new He-man. But if that's not what it is maybe I will

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
....just about every new adaptation of TMNT has managed keep enough of the things older fans loved and modernize the concept to bring in new fans without alienating the older ones, you've given me no reason why that can't be done with He-Man.
Sorry to butt in on this convo, I thought the core concept was a magically transformed prince with a super special sword fighting a skull for a head sorcerer. They're both still bodybuilders. The transformation is still the same. The talking green weaponized big cat is still there. The floating wacky side character is still there. The henchmen are still there. The castle, mountain, and planet is still the same. The prince's allies are still Masters of the Universe and we recognize who they represent. Maybe all these characters are descendants since it's so futuristic, but even if that's not the premise, this certainly checks off what's being asked.

Last Spider

Arachnid Dude
Sorry to butt in on this convo, I thought the core concept was a magically transformed prince with a super special sword fighting a skull for a head sorcerer. They're both still bodybuilders. The transformation is still the same. The talking green weaponized big cat is still there. The floating wacky side character is still there. The henchmen are still there. The castle, mountain, and planet is still the same. The prince's allies are still Masters of the Universe and we recognize who they represent. Maybe all these characters are descendants since it's so futuristic, but even if that's not the premise, this certainly checks off what's being asked.
Sure I guess it's the same if you just want the surface level stuff and live it at that.
And why do assume some older fans cannot enjoy this new cartoon? I have seen some older fans on other forums that think this could be good. It's just a trailer that came out, the show has not been released.

Frankly I dislike nerd nostalgia as an form of criticism, it promotes static story telling. I can apply it to anything, BTAS is a garbage because Mr. Freeze is a sympathetic character rather then the generic jewel that he was in the comics and they introduced characters like Harley Quinn who were not in the comics and gave her a bunch of screen time. It's why I used to roll my eyes when some fanboys complained that movie Whiplash didn't look exactly like his comic book counterpart in Iron Man 2 or some other thing that didn't exactly match the comics in these movies. Who decides what changes are good or bad?

If you do not like this show because it doesn't appeal to your nostalgia, that is your choice, but it's not a very compelling argument from my POV.

Will these changes work or not, I don't know, the show hasn't come out yet. One cannot make a sound judgment till then. Whether changes work or not depends on execution, otherwise it's just a creative choice you don't like and no show can please everyone.

This video does a good job explaining why I don't take a lot of the fanboy criticism of new MOTU shows very seriously:

Just to warn everyone, there is a little coarse language in that video.
You keep going on about other franchises and they stuff they changed and to be frank that's not relevant to me, I don't care what BTAS changed, I don't care what the MCU changed because this isn't about either of those things

The Overlord

I got recommended that video but I was worried it was another video complaining about the new He-man. But if that's not what it is maybe I will

As a pop culture critic I generally like Movie Bob, even if I don't always agree with him, he isn't a grifter like Clownfish TV is. He does layout why some of the backlash to new MOTU is done in bad faith.

Sure I guess it's the same if you just want the surface level stuff and live it at that.

You keep going on about other franchises and they stuff they changed and to be frank that's not relevant to me, I don't care what BTAS changed, I don't care what the MCU changed because this isn't about either of those things

So then why do care about these changes to MOTU, what is the difference? If the show hasn't come out yet, are your arguments purely nostalgia based?

This show has not come out yet, but I actually enjoyed Relevations, I didn't mind He-Man and Skeletor getting sidelined, because it gave the characters stuff to do. I didn't care that wasn't an exact recreation of the 83 show, not only did Teela have more to do, but villains like Evil-Lyn, Beast Man and Tri-Klops got to be more developed or menacing, when they were just goons in the 83 show. I would rather see something new with a franchise rather than repeating the same old beats at this point.

This CGI show doesn't have to be an exact recreation of the 83 show to be good, IMO. If you do not like it for nostalgia reasons, that is your choice, but I personally do not buy arguments.

This is another interesting video that makes the point I am making:

Last edited:

Last Spider

Arachnid Dude
That's what He-Man is...
That's how anybody knows what this is if they even remember all that. Everything else is reboot dressing.
Again that is true if you just care what's on the surface.
And they're barely getting that correctly.
As a pop culture critic I generally like Movie Bob, even if I don't always agree with him, he isn't a grifter like Clownfish TV is. He does layout why some of the backlash to new MOTU is done in bad faith.

So then why do care about these changes to MOTU, what is the difference? If the show hasn't come out yet, are your arguments purely nostalgia based?

This show has not come out yet, but I actually enjoyed Relevations, I didn't mind He-Man and Skeletor getting sidelined, because it gave the characters stuff to do. I didn't care that wasn't an exact recreation of the 83 show, not only did Teela have more to do, but villains like Evil-Lyn, Beast Man and Tri-Klops got to be more developed or menacing, when they were just goons in the 83 show. I would rather see something new with a franchise rather than repeating the same old beats at this point.

This CGI show doesn't have to be an exact recreation of the 83 show to be good, IMO. If you do not like it for nostalgia reasons, that is your choice, but I personally do not buy arguments.

This is another interesting video that makes the point I am making:

If you aren't gonna do anything but say nostalgia and link garbage videos I've already seen then you may as well stop responding all together.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
If you aren't gonna do anything but say nostalgia and link garbage videos I've already seen then you may as well stop responding all together.
This is a forum, not a social network. All you're doing is making a big fuss over what makes MOTU and what doesn't make MOTU, hence I don't see why you had the guts to tell @The Overlord to stop responding all together after doing those posts.

The Overlord

Okay, except you have not articulated what you think is wrong with this show (which hasn't even come out yet), without using "It's not my MOTU" style arguments. You are condemning a show that hasn't even come our yet, over nostalgia arguments.

What makes MOTU is in the eye of the beholder, because its not a set story like Lord of the Rings or Redwall.

Dragnatek

When it comes to these toy franchises constant reinvention is how they stay alive. He-man much like Thunder cats, Transformers, GI Joe, My Little Pony and others rely on being recreated and reformed for a new generation. Sometimes those new versions suck and other times they are even better then the original.

This main point of these franchises is to sell toys so they are not deep story's with huge lore. Yeah they still have their passionate fans but change is good. Just remember this type of drama isn't new. Trukk not Munky.

Oh overlord I will check out those videos. I think I ignored one of them since You tube kept recomending me people I knew were ASJW grifters and those two got lost in the crowd.

Last Spider

Arachnid Dude
This is a forum, not a social network. All you're doing is making a big fuss over what makes MOTU and what doesn't make MOTU, hence I don't see why you had the guts to tell @The Overlord to stop responding all together after doing those posts.
Is there a point here, because it doesn't sound like it.
Okay, except you have not articulated what you think is wrong with this show (which hasn't even come out yet), without using "It's not my MOTU" style arguments. You are condemning a show that hasn't even come our yet, over nostalgia arguments.

What makes MOTU is in the eye of the beholder, because its not a set story like Lord of the Rings or Redwall.
See that's exactly what I'm talking about if you're just gonna devolve everything I said down to "not muh" and nostalgia then all you're doing is atrawmanning and I don't have time for that.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Getting what correctly? Teela and Duncan?
Out of curiosity, I checked out the first few episodes of the original. That's all there is to it.
It's a decent episodic show.
Skeletor or his minions plot out some mcguffin. He-Man foils their plot. The rest of Team He-Man are relevant to whatever the joke scene is, to marginally help out or need to be saved.

Really not surprised if later adaptations have more character & story depth.
The trailer to this one already promises depth when you have acknowledgement of Keldor in relation to Adam and The Sorceress ghost implying there's been a champion & his nemesis before. These fledgling Masters will be training & learning life lessons to fight and most likely win against the same forces of Evil every episode.

Last Spider

Arachnid Dude
Getting what correctly? Teela and Duncan?
Out of curiosity, I checked out the first few episodes of the original. That's all there is to it.
It's a decent episodic show.
Skeletor or his minions plot out some mcguffin. He-Man foils their plot. The rest of Team He-Man are relevant to whatever the joke scene is, to marginally help out or need to be saved.

Really not surprised if later adaptations have more character & story depth.
The trailer to this one already promises depth when you have acknowledgement of Keldor in relation to Adam and The Sorceress ghost implying there's been a champion & his nemesis before. These fledgling Masters will be training & learning life lessons to fight and most likely win against the same forces of Evil every episode.
And nothing here was said besides the typical "the original sucked anyway" response.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
And nothing here was said besides the typical "the original sucked anyway" response.
You can rewatch the original for free on Youtube to dispute what I said is that show, which you haven't done whatsoever. Just another surface-level response.

Freddy

Yeah, no. Every single TMNT cartoon to date has been "the worst thing to happen to the franchise" to a vocal section of the fanbase (not always the same one, but still). Even arguably the most iconic one (in terms of presence in the popculture), the '87 series, is seen as the thing that ruined the turtles forever (pun not intended) to a large section of the Mirage purists.

Just look at how divisive Rise of the TMNT is even to this day. There are no fandoms with uniformed ideas on which elements of their franchise are essential.

Last edited:

The Overlord

Is there a point here, because it doesn't sound like it.

See that's exactly what I'm talking about if you're just gonna devolve everything I said down to "not muh" and nostalgia then all you're doing is atrawmanning and I don't have time for that.

I am incorrect about your arguments? If I am wrong, I can admit it, but if you have any non nostalgia arguments against this show, you can always present them.

Frontier

Staff member
Perhaps but it's not 1983 anymore, the tastes of kids today are not the same as 1983.

Look at how wildly different the various TMNT and Transformers cartoons are. Really they tried to make a He-Man cartoon that was an updated version of the Flimation series in 2002, it went off the air after 2 seasons. I liked it, but it wasn't a hit with kids back then. I can see why Mattel would want to see what is popular with kids today and copy de lessons for this cartoon.
I thought it was less an issue of popularity with the 2002 cartoon and more lack of merchandise sales and bad timeslots.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

WBD announces a Meerkat Manor animated film. In other news, the world suddenly remembers Meerkat Manor exists.
Today marks the 5th Year Anniversary of when the HD Double Pack of Final Fantasy X & X-2 was released on the Nintendo Switch in North America. It was nice to be able to play my favorite Final Fantasy game on a Nintendo system.
Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)

Featured Posts