How can we improve the animation industry

Florida Jones

So, this is actually based on my original post in the 'is animation beyond saving' thread, I feel like there are multiple ways we can help fix or at least improve the animation industry so it benefits all animators. It's no secret at this point that it's been a rough year for animation, especially recently with HBO Max's purging of content. But I think this provides us a good opportunity to discuss ways to bring proper change to the industry. I've mentioned bringing in the New Deal 4 Animation and being extremely vocal about it to studios, but I'd like to hear from you now. What ere some ways we can improve the animation industry?

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
More cartoons should get home video releases even if the physical media market has been shrinking. The recent announcement of the Ed, Edd, n Eddy and Foster’s set reminded me there is still a physical media market. There are many cartoons from Cartoon Network, Warner Bros, Nick, Disney, etc. that have been given very partial home video releases or none at all with only a select few getting their full series on DVD. Disney TVA is the worst in this category as practically none of their shows get any of their episodes on DVD let alone full series. (Gravity Falls being an exception. Thanks Shout Factory!)

EJLD4Ever

Animation Student
Another thing to think about:

In the past, in order to work in the animation industry, you had to live where the work is located at. Most of that work is, of course, based around Los Angeles. At one point I contemplated a career in the mainstream animation industry, but the thought of spending thousands on moving to LA with no necessary guarantee of employment was discouraging. It's not that I didn't want to move to LA at all, it was just that it was so expensive!

You'd think that with remote work and telecommuting being more popular these days than it's ever been, and with most animation work going all-digital (even hand-drawn stuff is done mostly by Wacom tablets instead of paper!), that more studios would be more open to artists working remotely, so we don't have to necessarily be forced to move to LA!

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Another thing to think about:

In the past, in order to work in the animation industry, you had to live where the work is located at. Most of that work is, of course, based around Los Angeles. At one point I contemplated a career in the mainstream animation industry, but the thought of spending thousands on moving to LA with no necessary guarantee of employment was discouraging. It's not that I didn't want to move to LA at all, it was just that it was so expensive!

You'd think that with remote work and telecommuting being more popular these days than it's ever been, and with most animation work going all-digital (even hand-drawn stuff is done mostly by Wacom tablets instead of paper!), that more studios would be more open to artists working remotely, so we don't have to necessarily be forced to move to move to LA!
500% BASED AND CORRECT. You know how to fix this? OPEN MORE STUDIOS NATIONWIDE. Or better yet?? ENCOURAGE MORE REMOTE (Work from home) WORKPLACE OPERATIONS. Work from home is skyrocketing in popularity, like homeschooling/private school are for a reason, after all.

Thinking of all the money your employees would save is a good start to not being a greedy pig and just one actually real way to promote working for animation nationwide. Not just some sanctuary city that needs to be destroyed already, to state honest FACTS & TRUTH.

Classic Speedy

Let it haunt your nightmares
Staff member
Reporter
I mean, that's already starting to happen- Titmouse is a great example. It has studios in L.A., New York and Vancouver but it employs people all over the world who can work remotely.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
I mean, that's already starting to happen- Titmouse is a great example. It has studios in L.A., New York and Vancouver but it employs people all over the world who can work remotely.
True. And with that noted..... DO IT MORE. Please and thank you very much.

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
While streaming doesn't guarantee the future of animation, I'd still say that if you have access to a streaming service that has any favorites and time to spare, binge while the show of interest is present.

And whenever any favorite shows are released physically or any tie in products (i.e. figures, shirts, comic books or TPBs) are recently distributed, purchase them from the get-go unless there are immediate necessities.

If it's we don't act like legit products or digital distribution are worth our time, how else can we convince business folks that animation is worth investing?

Like for the Disney Afternoon stuff, we have the Disney Adventures trade from last year and Dynamite's upcoming reprints of Gargoyles from both Marvel and SLG.

JMTV

Pocket's a Cutie!
Another thing I want to say and this could also applies to the kids entertainment industry is better protection laws for animation creators, voice actors, and children(especially), terminate the NDAs, give the animators better pay, and hold the executives and producers accountable for their scummy actions (or fired them if it gets worse).

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Looks like there is some good news!

Asa
I speculate this third pandemic winter could end up being it's very last one, ever (we don't need to have too many).
Went to TGI Friday's for my birthday yesterday. Had a great time there despite the chilly weather in Leicester Square.
I've officially turned 26 years old.

Featured Posts