I Learned Something Today

Mandouga

Although “Welcome to the New World” (from Kirby and the Forgotten Land) is officially sung in gibberish, there’s a reason why the English lyrics don’t line up with the notes being sung. I saw a video of the part where this plays in the Japanese version (Hoshi no Kirby: Discovery), and I discovered that the song was clearly intended to be sung in Japanese.

EDIT (7-19-22):

The phrase “too big to fail” doesn’t necessarily mean that a large company can’t ever fail. What it does mean is that if a large company does fail, it would have a major impact on whatever industry it’s part of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mandouga

When Conan the Destroyer (1984) was made, it got an R rating at first, but then the decision was made to tone down the violence, but it only got a PG rating because PG-13 didn't quite exist just yet. On a related note...

The original Red Dawn was the first movie to be released with a PG-13 rating. Also...

Kull the Conqueror is based on Robert E. Howard's other barbarian hero. Not only that, it was originally going to be "Conan the Conqueror".

Sent from my SM-T220 using Tapatalk

Mandouga

It’s against Japanese law for married couples to have separate surnames. On the other hand, that doesn’t appear to have stopped Yoshihiro Togashi (Yu Yu Hakusho, Hunter x Hunter), and Naoko Takeuchi (Sailor Moon) from using their original names as their professional names. In any case, I’ll bet that’s part of the reason why husbands sometimes take their wives’ last names…

Also:

Togashi-san, and Takeuchi-san have been married since 1999.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Japanese footballer Kazuyoshi Miura is the only professional footballer to have played in five consecutive decades (1980s, 1990s, 2000s, 2010s and 2020s).

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest has two audios: one where the drums (?) can be heard clearly and another where the drums are less audible.

"Lyrics":
TUM TUM
(tadada tada)
TUM TUM
(tadada tada)
TUM TUM
(tadada tada)
TUM TUM
(tadada tada)
TUM TUM, TUM TUM, TUM TUM, TUM TUM
etc.

There is also an intro with "Cartoon Network presents" instead of "Hanna-Barbera presents".

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Disney does NOT own the song "When You Wish Upon A Star." In fact, they own NONE of the songs from Snow White, Pinocchio or Dumbo (nor Fantasia, but that's a different situation as all those pieces were public domain). An outfit called Bourne Music Co. holds the actual copyright to the soundtracks from those films. This is very surprising as Disney has shown multiple times they would rather stop using something if they don't own it outright, than pay the folks that do.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
The founders of Columbia Pictures, Harry and Jack Cohn and Joe Brandt began their career at Independent Moving Pictures, the studio that would later be reorganised as Universal Pictures.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
So all this time I've been wondering if there's a widescreen version of The Brave Little Toaster out there. Turns out....there actually isn't. Someone got their hands on a 35mm theater print and discovered it was shot in 4:3 and meant to be cropped by the projector into 16:9. The film's producer confirmed to this guy that BLT was animated under the assumption this cropping would happen.

So the lo-def version we've had all this time is actually open matte, and if Disney were to make a widescreen version, THAT would be cropped and we'd miss details.

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
There was animation being made in the 1800s. I knew Winsor McCay wasn't the first to do it, but I didn't know there was anything that early.

Mandouga

The American electronics company Zenith (which is now part of the Korean company LG) was the original inventor of the remote control device, and that was back in the 1950s.

The first “clickers” were wired, which a lot of people didn’t like. It wasn’t until the late 1950s or early 1960s (not quite sure which) that wireless remote controls were introduced.

The fact that Zenith invented remote controls is also why the game show “Remote Control” referred to its board as the “Big Zenith”.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Two days ago, I learned that when Japanese is written horizontally, you have to read it from left to right. Strange how it took me so long to find out about it.

This means Japanese school books are all printed like Western school books (especially math, which is never written vertically), rather than "flipped" like mangas.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts