International Disney Networks Thread Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

RegularCapital

Staff member
Despite the sanctions, it seems that Disney Channel in Russia (Kanal Disney) is still getting new shows and dubs. I know that Disney can't close the channel in Russia as they only own 20% of it and its all tied up in contracts etc., but I'm surprised they haven't at least cut their supply of new episodes and new shows.

NixcoBox12

Also known as pizzabob, also a dubbing archiver
Despite the sanctions, it seems that Disney Channel in Russia (Kanal Disney) is still getting new shows and dubs. I know that Disney can't close the channel in Russia as they only own 20% of it and its all tied up in contracts etc., but I'm surprised they haven't at least cut their supply of new episodes and new shows.

Yes, that IS true, however The Ghost and Molly McGee (in which you used as reference) premiered in Russia on February 7th 2022, 17 days before the Ukraine war started.

zakawer2

#BringBackDislikes
They did premiere Alice's Wonderland Bakery on Kanal Disney in Russia with Russian dubbing during the infamous happenings in Ukraine, which seems like solid enough evidence to me.

Also, Disney Channel Scandinavia and Disney Junior Scandinavia still have Russian audio tracks featuring the exact same Russian dubbings as Kanal Disney, correct?

NixcoBox12

Also known as pizzabob, also a dubbing archiver
Also, Disney Channel Scandinavia and Disney Junior Scandinavia still have Russian audio tracks featuring the exact same Russian dubbings as Kanal Disney, correct?
Scandinavia still has the Russian audio

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Disney Channel Canada schedule from today.
  • 12am – Jessie (x2)
  • 1am – The Ghost and Molly McGee (x2)
  • 2am – Big City Greens (x2)
  • 3am – Jessie
  • 3:30am – Gabby Duran and the Unsittables
  • 4am – The Ghost and Molly McGee (x2)
  • 5am – Big City Greens (x2)
  • 6am – The ZhuZhus
  • 6:30am – Go Away, Unicorn!
  • 7am – Wayside
  • 7:30am – Ghostforce
  • 8am – Big City Greens (x2)
  • 9am – Jessie (x2)
  • 10am – The Ghost and Molly McGee
  • 10:30am – Amphibia
  • 11am – Big City Greens
  • 11:30am – The Owl House
  • 12pm – The Villains of Valley View
  • 12:30pm – Ultra Violet & Black Scorpion
  • 1pm – Bunk'd
  • 1:30pm – Roman to the Rescue
  • 2pm – Ghostforce
  • 2:30pm – Hotel Transylvania: The Series
  • 3pm – Jessie (x2)
  • 4pm – The Villains of Valley View
  • 4:30pm – Ultra Violet & Black Scorpion
  • 5pm – Bunk'd
  • 5:30pm – Roman to the Rescue
  • 6pm – The Ghost and Molly McGee
  • 6:30pm – Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
  • 9pm – Degrassi: The Next Generation (x2)
  • 10pm – Hotel Transylvania: The Series (x2)
  • 11pm – Wayside
  • 11:30pm – Ghostforce

Francisque

Remember that the Russian influence doesn't disappear overnight, and Russia doesn't equal Russian language.

Russian is still spoken by a considerable — although decreasing — amount of Sovietized and Eastern Slavic people in the Baltic area, where DC Scandi is available , so it makes sense

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Russian is still spoken by a considerable — although decreasing — amount of Sovietized and Eastern Slavic people in the Baltic area, where DC Scandi is available , so it makes sense
1 million Russians in the Baltic states (2017) is not that much... But Russian is also widely understood in Central Asia, Ukraine, Belarus and Moldova.

It's like how American cartoons get dubbed into Mandarin even if they never air in Mainland China. There are a lot of Mandarin speakers in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore and Malaysia.

Francisque

Yeah, Russian though acts like a Lingua franca, that's why I've mentioned "Sovietized" people (mostly bilingual).

Although English is replacing it: as for Taiwan, that's Mandarin speaking , while for HK quite often AFAIK dubs are in Cantonese .

But still, Mandarin is quite known, kind of like Swiss Germans know standard German too

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Are Disney Channel, Nickelodeon and CN dubbed into Cantonese? Wikipedia claims those channels are only in Mandarin. AFAIK, Hongkongers are expected to be bilingual.

I have always found it odd when Hong Kong and Taiwan get separate Mandarin dubs... then just dub it into Cantonese, no??
Although English is replacing it
In the Baltic states yes, in the other countries no.

zakawer2

#BringBackDislikes
Are Disney Channel, Nickelodeon and CN dubbed into Cantonese? Wikipedia claims those channels are only in Mandarin. AFAIK, Hongkongers are expected to be bilingual.

I have always found it odd when Hong Kong and Taiwan get separate Mandarin dubs... then just dub it into Cantonese, no??

In the Baltic states yes, in the other countries no.
Disney Channel was actually dubbed into Cantonese back when it used to be available in Hong Kong, but I'm not exactly sure about the other two channels.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Disney Channel was actually dubbed into Cantonese back when it used to be available in Hong Kong, but I'm not exactly sure about the other two channels.
You're right!
HBO Go Asia has some Cantonese dubs of CN cartoons, so it is possible that Cartoon Network SEA has Cantonese audio.

Francisque

Yeah, I thought that; the presentation of the kids channels is all in Cantonese, after all.

@Red Arrow yeah i'm indeed conscious of the fact that English is only replacing Russian in Baltic countries, it's still a power language elsewhere

Reactions: Rrr

RegularCapital

Staff member
I've finally done it, after many months, over 100+ sources (which doesn't include the sources on the supplement articles), I've finally completed my article/wiki page about The History of Disney Channel UK 1995-2020.

DisneyChannelUKBrandingHistory.png

JulianRO

I've finally done it, after many months, over 100+ sources (which doesn't include the sources on the supplement articles), I've finally completed my article/wiki page about The History of Disney Channel UK 1995-2020.

View attachment 299402
Huge congrats for the time you did spend for us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts