International HBO Max News Thread

Markus Nelis

Most names are weird to say. I think even they try to figure it out which one to use. Warner Bros Discovery+ would make the most sense right now. At least I think so,

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Warner Bros. Discovery has halted the global expansion of HBO Max, they're now prioritising combining HBO Max's and Discovery+'s content libraries into a new unnamed service. HBO Max was due to launch in France in 2023, but it will have the combined service instead.
So basically, Warner Bros. Discovery is doing what Disney has been doing recently when they launched Star as an overseas version of Hulu barring third party content and ads as well as what Paramount is planning to do in some European countries with Comcast by launching Sky Showtime instead of both Paramount+ and Peacock. Well, I'm not really sure about this decision if I'm being honest.

Dutch reality TV series The Traitors is getting a Spanish version on HBO Max Spain.

Last edited:

RegularCapital

Staff member
French Pay TV provider Canal+ are in talks to acquire Orange Cinema Series. OCS airs HBO Originals so buying the channel may give Canal+ leverage in future HBO Max (or whatever the merged HBO Max/Discovery+ streamer will be) distribution negotiations.

Amazon Prime Video Signs Deal With Warner Bros Discovery, To Premiere HBO Max Originals In India.

Francisque

Most names are weird to say. I think even they try to figure it out which one to use. Warner Bros Discovery+ would make the most sense right now. At least I think so,
I sometimes wish this wasn't so much a 50/50% merger, but there's so much "company" egos at play; I mean, Warner Bros as the name of the company alone would have sufficed

WBD+ sounds quite ridiculous

Warner Bros Max alone would be better, without Discovery

Beast of Beef

I sometimes wish this wasn't so much a 50/50% merger, but there's so much "company" egos at play; I mean, Warner Bros as the name of the company alone would have sufficed

WBD+ sounds quite ridiculous

Warner Bros Max alone would be better, without Discovery
I think Warner max is good. Having the “bros” in there just makes it harder to say. But full name wbd+… yeah not so good.

Francisque

I think Markus meant the name of the company.

It's fine, I realize Warner Discovery as the name of the company can sound ok at first, but still to me it sounds like a clumsy compromise which has to adjusted soon, and will probably be sorted out soon.

Especially clumsy when the company has to promote itself! Warner (Bros) would've sufficed, also easier to market with OTT services and the likes.

Warner Max would sound a lot
more comprehensive, inclusive than HBO Max for me.

As long as the Discovery are still in place, and it's treated as an important asset of a WB company, who cares?
Nicer sounding name, easier to target to, more globally renowned brand too, Discovery doesn't say much,especially in certain countries.

I mean, in Italy the FTA channels don't have the Discovery name, they had to show that on the DOG and in cross promotions to give it a boost

JaredCap43™

I'm the Mighty Pocoyo, no CEO can defeat me!
(Not sure if this should be in HBO Max or Paramount+ thread, but) Minx (an HBO Max Original) is being added to Paramount+ in the UK next Wednesday.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Spanish survival reality show El Puente (known as The Bridge for the British and Australian versions) is getting a Hungarian version on HBO Max Central Europe.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Three months ago, the subscription prices for the Nordic, Spanish, Portuguese and Bulgarian versions were increased for the first time since launch.
30/09: HBO Max Latin America's rebrand as Max has been postponed until next year.
13/10: The streaming service will become available in Benelux next year but will go by HBO Max than by Max due to the Dutch broadcaster Omroep MAX.
28/10: As covered last week on the main thread, Max's European rolllout will begin next year.
04/11: Warner Bros. Discovery UK and Ireland president Andrew Georgiou has confirmed that TNT Sports is part of the forthcoming British version of Max that will launch once the deal with Sky expires in 2025.
WBD’s Andrew Georgiou says ‘eventual’ Max UK launch part of thinking around TNT Sports
11/11: HBO Max Central and Eastern Europe (soon to be Max Central and Eastern Europe) has acquired the limited series I Know Your Soul from Bosnian filmmaker Jasmila Žbanić.
24/11: Max Poland will launch next year.

Last edited:

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Max Spain will become available to Vodafone subscribers in the country during this spring.
Vodafone España to add Warner Bros. Discovery’s Max to TV offering from next spring
25/01: HBO Max Latin America and Caribbean will become Max in the end of February.
27/02: Max is coming to the UK in two years' time once the Sky deal is over.
21/03: New original content have been confirmed for Max France when the streaming service launches in the country during this summer.

Last edited:

Markus Nelis

Via X's HBO Max Nordic account: Max is coming to Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Finland May 21.
1711035868279.png

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts