Is Disney Channel's Stuck In The Middle a rip-off from The Loud House?

Dynamite Soldier

At first, I didn't really know where to post this since Stuck in the Middle is a live-action sitcom from Disney, but I thought it would be more suited here since The Loud House is an official Nicktoon.

Now I really like both shows, but I've noticed they're are quite similar to each other, except The Loud House is animated while Stuck in the Middle is live-action.

Here are their similarities:
-Both has two main protagonists (Lincoln and Harley) breaking the fourth wall by talking to the viewers in every episode
-Both also has the two main protagonists star as the "middle child" of the family
-Pretty much every sibling from both shows have the same personality trait (Rachel/Lori, Georgie/Lynn, Daphne/Lola and Ethan/Luna)
-Both obviously involves plots with the main protagonist dealing with a large family (even having the same episode plot: TLH's "The Sweet Spot" and SitM's "Stuck In The Sweet Seat")
-Lastly, both Rachel and Lori's boyfriends can be irresponsible and ditzy

TLH was announced in 2014 and SitM was announced last year (though it premiered before TLH). So did Disney really copy the same idea from Nick?

jaylop97

Staff member
Both shows are actually a like in a way to Malcolm in the Middle given they both center on a middle child of a family and 4th wall breaking.

But to be honest I think Stuck in the Middle just rips off both Malcolm in the Middle and Loud House, given Harley is a prodigy as well much like Malcolm, and like you said the family is not that much different from the Louds either.

SitM not only rips off one show but another, because Loud House is about 1 boy and 10 girls and the protagonist isn't similar a prodigy giving a way to differentiate itself from Malcolm, while SitM doesn't do much given its similar elements from Malcolm in the Middle and Loud House.

Last edited:

zoombie

I don't see much similarities, I guess. If anyone ripped of anyone, Nickelodeon ripped off Disney first, The Other Kingdom is not even trying to hide that is a rip off of Star vs the Forces of Evil.

jaylop97

Staff member
I don't see much similarities, I guess. If anyone ripped of anyone, Nickelodeon ripped off Disney first, The Other Kingdom is not even trying to hide that is a rip off of Star vs the Forces of Evil.
But Nick didn't make that it was made by DHX media, Nick just airs that.

CartoonFridays

Promoted to detective.
Well, SitM premiered before TLH, but the latter's pilot short and the show's premise were already well-known. And seeing as how live-action shows are quicker and cheaper to make than animated ones, I think Stuck's quality speaks for itself that this was a preemptive strike.

Dynamite Soldier

Both shows are actually a like in a way to Malcolm in the Middle given they both center on a middle child of a family and 4th wall breaking.

But to be honest I think Stuck in the Middle just rips off both Malcolm in the Middle and Loud House, given Harley is a prodigy as well much like Malcolm, and like you said the family is not that much different from the Louds either.

SitM not only rips off one show but another, because Loud House is about 1 boy and 10 girls and the protagonist isn't similar a prodigy giving a way to differentiate itself from Malcolm, while SitM doesn't do much given its similar elements from Malcolm in the Middle and Loud House.
I completely forgot about Malcolm in the Middle. Yeah I do agree Stuck in the Middle is a possible rip-off from that show and The Loud House. Still, I think SitM is a fairly decent show (maybe one of Disney's best sitcoms since Wizards of Waverly Place), with an amazingly catchy theme song.

Mikurotoro92

Banned
I think the ABC show The Middle also rips off from Malcolm in the Middle!

They both have "the middle" in their titles for crying out loud!

In other words Stuck in the Middle & The Middle are spiritual successors of Malcolm just like how Nick's show 100 Things to Do before High School is a spiritual successor of Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think the ABC show The Middle also rips off from Malcolm in the Middle!

They both have "the middle" in their titles for crying out loud!

In other words Stuck in the Middle & The Middle are spiritual successors of Malcolm just like how Nick's show 100 Things to Do before High School is a spiritual successor of Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide
I don't think the title makes it a rip off. I'm not 100% sure on this, but The Middle could've gotten it's name because it's about a middle class family and Frankie is middle-aged. In other words, the title was probably a coincidence.

Cosmo

???%
I kind of thought this when it premiered but I doubt that was the mindset of the creators.

90'sKid

It's possible, as @CartoonFridays said, live-action shows are quicker to make than an animated show, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that Disney caught wind of TLH's premise and decided to "cash in" on the series. But as I haven't seen SitM (and have no intent to), I cannot say just how similar it is to TLH (Which, IMO, is a good show).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LUNI_TUNZ

People really need to expand their vocabulary. Two (or more) shows having a similar premise doesn't make one a "rip-off" of the other. It's the classic "Simpsons Did It" conundrum.

That said, do I think SitM took anything from TLH? No, no I don't. For one thing, Live-action shows may be quicker to produce once they're on the air, but they still take some time to get to production, it's not an overnight process, and unless someone has some information on when Stuck in the Middle was pitched, piloted, and then re-piloted (it's original pilot was Multi-cam) there's no telling which actually came first.

Also, someone mentioned The Other Kingdom, the "fish out of water" plot of magical characters pre-dates Star, so again, just because both series star Princesses who "aren't from here".

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy 4th of July!

I thought Franklin expired rights...

The winner of this matchup is Surf's Up, which got 2 votes. Wish Dragon got 1 vote. The next matchup is between Chicken Run and Vivo.
My pfp is now changed to my oc (with her new outfit that introduced last June 14) for the first time.

Featured Posts