Is OG US Boomerang a Lost Cause Now?

superkeegan9100

YTPer, Cartoon Analyst, Artist
Sorry to bump an old thread but since Boomerang in Latin America is being replaced by Cartoonito, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Cartoon Network US went this direction too. I mean, Disney and Nickelodeon have 24-hour preschool channels. It's only a matter of time before Cartoon Network gets one over here. Most international Boomerang channels I can see being rebranded into Cartoonito as well. Sure, it might be sad to see the old shows like Classic Tom and Jerry, Looney Tunes, and Scooby-Doo leave but at this point, Boomerang is a dying brand. Plus, most of the shows can easily be found on HBO Max and the Boomerang streaming service (which they probably will merge with HBO Max soon).

SpongieLoud

Bingo Bango!
Sorry to bump an old thread but since Boomerang in Latin America is being replaced by Cartoonito, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Cartoon Network US went this direction too. I mean, Disney and Nickelodeon have 24-hour preschool channels. It's only a matter of time before Cartoon Network gets one over here. Most international Boomerang channels I can see being rebranded into Cartoonito as well. Sure, it might be sad to see the old shows like Classic Tom and Jerry, Looney Tunes, and Scooby-Doo leave but at this point, Boomerang is a dying brand. Plus, most of the shows can easily be found on HBO Max and the Boomerang streaming service (which they probably will merge with HBO Max soon).
I could very well see that happening especially with the WB Discovery Merger. I do hope maybe there could be a classic block or something on Cartoon Network or even some family block on a Cartoonito channel that airs classics like T&J and Looney Tunes.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
As Mandouga and Silverstar already said, that tweet shouldn't be taken as gospel because no source is sited.

Also, I think that HBO Max and Discovery+ forming a bundle similar to the Disney Bundle (Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+) seems like a more plausible scenario.

We might get a Cartoonito channel somewhere down the line, but it won't be as early as next year. The block is less than 12 months old and doesn't have nearly big enough a library to allow for a 24/7 schedule.

Yeah, ditto with some of these comments above, I was one of the first people on the site to speculate that Boomerang could rebrand into a 24/7 Cartoonito channel, (and it will but in Latin America).

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
Might be more true outside the US, inside, nah... the cable contracts still make them money less channels=less money, Discovery isn't usually a close down channels company.

Moe

Might be more true outside the US, inside, nah... the cable contracts still make them money less channels=less money, Discovery isn't usually a close down channels company.
It means Comcast shouldn't close Chiller, Esquire/Style Network, G4 and Sleuth/Cloo at first place, hmm.

Streaker Prower

I think WarnerMedia will launch a Cartoonito channel by replacing a useless third-rate Discovery Rerun Channel (i.e. Destination America), once WarnerMedia and Discovery Merges

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
I think WarnerMedia will launch a Cartoonito channel by replacing a useless third-rate Discovery Rerun Channel (i.e. Destination America), once WarnerMedia and Discovery Merges
If we ever do get a Cartoonito channel, it won't be as early as next year, which is when the merger is supposed to be finalized. I know of 4 more shows that have been announced for the block (Bugs Bunny Builders, Batwheels, Jessica's Big Little World and Tom and Jerry Time) but haven't premiered yet, but even with 4 additional shows, Cartoonito doesn't have a big enough backlog of programs to fill up a 24/7 schedule. And yes, Discovery does have several "trash" channels that they aren't doing anything significant with (Destination America, Discovery Life, Cooking Channel, etc.), but they don't seem to care. Discovery could have shut down Destination America years ago back when the channel failed as Planet Green, but they didn't.

As for Cartoonito, it's possible that Warner Media could merge it with Boomerang (another "junk" channel), but even if that were to happen, I don't think that the Cartoonito block would leave CN proper.

Last edited:

Tacomaster

I Actually Like Pizza More
At the very least, the 8 hour block could repeat twice after the initial broadcast to get a rudimentary 24-hour channel. Plus, the Cartoonito Italy and LA channels have The Tom and Jerry Show and Grizzy and the Lemmings, and LA has Scooby-Doo and Guess Who. All of these shows are on Boomerang US. The weekend-exclusive Care Bears previously ran weekdays on Boomerang, Esme and Roy could easily jump to weekdays, and HBO Family has its own pre-owned preschool series like A Little Curious.

Streaker Prower

If we ever do get a Cartoonito channel, it won't be as early as next year, which is when the merger is supposed to be finalized. I know of 4 more shows that have been announced for the block (Bugs Bunny Builders, Batwheels, Jessica's Big Little World and Tom and Jerry Time) but haven't premiered yet, but even with 4 additional shows, Cartoonito doesn't have a big enough backlog of programs to fill up a 24/7 schedule. And yes, Discovery does have several "trash" channels that they aren't doing anything significant with (Destination America, Discovery Life, Cooking Channel, etc.), but they don't seem to care. Discovery could have shut down Destination America years ago back when the channel failed as Planet Green, but they didn't.

As for Cartoonito, it's possible that Warner Media could merge it with Boomerang (another "junk" channel), but even if that were to happen, I don't think that the Cartoonito block would leave CN proper.
Well. The Cartoonito Channel can use the show on the HBO Kids block, rerun old shows from Discovery Kids' Ready Set Learn Block, and even be the new US Home for Doki (Also Known as Doki Adventures)

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
^^Even if Boomerang US were to become a Cartoonito channel, Cartoonito (the programming block) would continue airing on Cartoon Network. CN gave up those hours willingly and they won't be taking them back. For those who are hoping that the launch of a Cartoonito channel would/will mean the end of the preschool block on CN, it wouldn't/won't. Nick Jr. and Disney Junior have their own channels on upper tiers, but their programming blocks still air on their main channels.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts