"Jellystone!" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss this Series!

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 3 18.8%

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
A Jellystone! Halloween special premieres today on HBO Max!

Jellysyone! - "Spell Book"
Debut - October 21, 2021 (on HBO Max)

Synopsis: While helping the overworked Winsome Witch prepare for Halloween, Augie, Yakky, and Shag perform a spell that threatens to ruin Halloween, unless they can reverse it.

Comments?

Perla Magica

Digital Love
It was a standard 11-minute episode, so it's pretty average for a Halloween special.

It felt weird that the solution of the mess was to eat all the stolen candy not giving it back to everyone, but I guess that's the lesson for kids that candy is... kinda bad when you eat too much.

I liked the song and that Fairy Tail reference, that's about it.

Goldstar Neo

Good Morning!
I saw it last night. It was OK. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either. It was a fairly standard Jelllystone plot that just happened to take place on Halloween. I did like that it was only 11 minutes long, so it didn't wear out it's welcome. I'm glad that there wasn't some over arching plot about having to save the holiday or anything, because that would've seemed weird for a slapstick-y show like this one. And anytime Winsome Witch gets a decent amount of screen time, that's good for me.

Classic Speedy

The wife!
Staff member
Reporter
When a couple of you were bringing up Fairy Tail, I tuned in to see if it was a parody or art style shift. It wasn't, it was just a couple quick references to it because one of the characters was dressed as Natsu. Meh.

Anyway, I've watched two episodes of this show and it's not doing a thing for me.

Goldstar Neo

Good Morning!
They finally found a way to incorporate Josie and the Pussycats into Jellystone.
If by that you mean Bleep from Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space, he's been seen on Jellystone a couple of times before, mostly as Easter egg. He's even in one gag in the opening title sequence. Since Bleep is an original creation from H-B studios, he's the only Josie character who gets a pass.

Interestingly .C.H. Greenblatt originally wanted to use Jeannie and Babu from H-B's Jeanie cartoon, but Warner Bros. said that he couldn't. Now, I can understand why they weren't allowed to use Jeannie, since Columbia Pictures Television currently owns the I Dream of Jeannie IP (this is also why Jeanie - who was originally going to be on the Scooby Doobies team - didn't appear on H-B's Laff-A-Lympics), but you would think they'd be able to use Babu, since he's was an original character created by the studio. My guess is that Shazaan was brought in as a last minute replacement for Babu.

Last edited:

ToonDude03

If by that you mean Bleep from Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space, he's been seen on Jellystone a couple of times before, mostly as Easter egg. He's even in one gag in the opening title sequence. Since Bleep is an original creation from H-B studios, he's the only Josie character who gets a pass.

Interestingly .C.H. Greenblatt originally wanted to use Jeanie and Babu from H-B's Jeanie cartoon, but Warner Bros. said that he couldn't. Now, I can understand why they weren't allowed to use Jeanie, since Columbia Pictures Television currently owns the I Dream of Jeanie IP (this is also why Jeanie - who was originally going to be on the Scooby Doobies team - didn't appear on H-B's Laff-A-Lympics), but you would think they'd be able to use Babu, since he's was an original character created by the studio. My guess is that Shazaan was brought in as a last minute replacement for Babu.
Probably why Shazzan says "Yabble Dabble" in Jellystone!

Corwin Haught

Interestingly .C.H. Greenblatt originally wanted to use Jeanie and Babu from H-B's Jeanie cartoon, but Warner Bros. said that he couldn't. Now, I can understand why they weren't allowed to use Jeanie, since Columbia Pictures Television currently owns the I Dream of Jeanie IP (this is also why Jeanie - who was originally going to be on the Scooby Doobies team - didn't appear on H-B's Laff-A-Lympics), but you would think they'd be able to use Babu, since he's was an original character created by the studio. My guess is that Shazaan was brought in as a last minute replacement for Babu.

It is my understanding that Sony Pictures Television owns the Jeannie cartoon outright (as it appears on Crackle and hasn't appeared on Cartoon Network), while the Josie characters were licensed to H-B for a show that they fully own.

Silverstar

Rock the Dragon
The Josie characters were licensed to H-B for a show that they fully own.
HB (and subsequently, now Warner Bros.) does indeed own the 2 Josie & the Pussycats animated TV shows, but they don't own the characters; the She's Josie characters belong to the Archieverse and as such are property of Archie Comics. Going back to Laff-A-Lympics, the characters of Melody, Alexandra & Alexander Cabot and Sebastian the cat from Josie were also originally planned for the Scooby Doobies team roster, but ultimately didn't make the final cut for that very reason.

It's like how we'll probably never see the Smurfs on Jellystone!. Hanna-Barbera produced the 1982 Saturday morning Smurfs TV show, so Warner Bros. owns that, but the Smurfs IP is owned by Studio Peyo. HB doesn't own every property that they produced shows for: Josie is owned by Archie Comics, the Smurfs are owned by Studio Peyo, the Addams Family are currently owned by MGM, Pac-Man is owned by Namco, the Pound Puppies are owned by Hasbro and the Shirt Tales are owned by American Greetings.

Last edited:

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
While I liked the Halloween episode with the song it was on the rushed side though that’s usually the case for 11 minutes. If Jellystone does a Christmas episode I would like it a full 22 minutes like in Greenblatt’s other shows. What is notable is that the regular episodes are pairs of 2 eleven minute episodes while Spell Book was just a stand alone 11 minute episode.

So the episode wasn’t epic, but still I think Jellystone is very comparable to Unikitty another WB show I like. Unikitty had simple and short paced stories with some episodes ending abruptly but has a feel-good nature to it. It’s also nice Jellystone along with Looney Tunes Cartoons got some Cartoon Network airings even if they just aired them as filler.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy Dr Martin Luther King Jr Day, everybody!
I can see predictions of Nickelodeon Making the next Sonic Cartoon after Sonic Prime, Mainly Because they mentioned Sonic the Hedgehog on today's Broadcast of the Dallas-49ers Wild Card Game on Nickelodeon

And the Sonic Movie 2 TV spot.

Talk about going the extra mile.
One thing I like about Amazon and Netflix original films is that they’re greenlighting or picking up movies that are riskier,niche,or alternative then most major studio films in the last 5 years or so.

Sure they’re not all winners but at least you can tell they give writers and directors more freedom with their projects
today marks the first anniversary of when tvguide.com had rebranded their website.

Featured Posts