JoJo's Bizarre News and Discussion Thread

WickedChild

Kissing the shadows
Oh yeah, Jessica DiCicco was Tanjiro's little brother. Just now found that out. I'm guessing her character in this is a meatier role?

I'd think there'd be lots of congratulating on Twitter, but I don't see why there'd be any hate. Kira's plenty talented.

Jessica D was also in SAO War of Underworld for about 30 seconds before getting sliced up. She's pretty prominent in western animation, not sure why she's only got smaller parts so far in anime.

I'm not thrilled about the Kira Buckland news, though it doesn't necessarily surprise me either. Netflix probably didn't want to deal with the Twitter mob that would have been banging on it's doors if she didn't get the role. But that's a bad precedent to set, too. Basically, if you want a certain role, now all you have to do is get a lot of Twitter followers to like your cosplay of said role? Yeah no thanks, I'd prefer merit.

KB is decent, but I've yet to hear her in a standout role. And there are many other VAs that have a lot more experience, would fit the character more, and who have put in the dues and deserve a big leading role like this more. I've mentioned Trina Nishimura, Tara Platt, and Laura Bailey earlier in the thread. There's many others, especially if the casting pool includes those who typically do western animation (I'd throw my hat in for Tara Strong or Grey DeLisle in that case).

Well maybe she'll impress me, but she sounded pretty mediocre in the trailer, and her OraOraOra was really not good.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
KB is decent, but I've yet to hear her in a standout role.

I personally really enjoyed her portrayal of Beatrice, I suppose. Parts 3-5 of Jojo's dub have been pure gold and it's hard to believe Bang Zoom can do a bad dub of a JoJo season. The Rohan miniseries proved that Netflix yanking the franchise away from Adult Swim wouldn't harm the series.

Frontier

Staff member
Jessica D was also in SAO War of Underworld for about 30 seconds before getting sliced up. She's pretty prominent in western animation, not sure why she's only got smaller parts so far in anime.

I'm not thrilled about the Kira Buckland news, though it doesn't necessarily surprise me either. Netflix probably didn't want to deal with the Twitter mob that would have been banging on it's doors if she didn't get the role. But that's a bad precedent to set, too. Basically, if you want a certain role, now all you have to do is get a lot of Twitter followers to like your cosplay of said role? Yeah no thanks, I'd prefer merit.

KB is decent, but I've yet to hear her in a standout role. And there are many other VAs that have a lot more experience, would fit the character more, and who have put in the dues and deserve a big leading role like this more. I've mentioned Trina Nishimura, Tara Platt, and Laura Bailey earlier in the thread. There's many others, especially if the casting pool includes those who typically do western animation (I'd throw my hat in for Tara Strong or Grey DeLisle in that case).

Well maybe she'll impress me, but she sounded pretty mediocre in the trailer, and her OraOraOra was really not good.
I mean, I don't think twitter would've really gone that crazy just over Kira not getting a role and she would've supported anyone who was cast (and it's not like she hasn't been in JoJo already, she had roles in Parts 4 and 5), although she's had a longer association with Jolyne than just cosplaying as her frequently.

I also highly doubt that had anything to do with her being cast in the role, or at least it wasn't the main reason.

Of the VA's you list I think the only one that could've done it is Tara Platt because it's likely a Union Dub, but it would still be pretty unlikely.

Her Ora at the end sounded fine to me.

WickedChild

Kissing the shadows
I personally really enjoyed her portrayal of Beatrice, I suppose. Parts 3-5 of Jojo's dub have been pure gold and it's hard to believe Bang Zoom can do a bad dub of a JoJo season. The Rohan miniseries proved that Netflix yanking the franchise away from Adult Swim wouldn't harm the series.

Is it for sure that BangZoom is producing it? It's hard to follow who's actually doing what whenever Netflix is involved. I thought they did a lot of this kind of stuff in-house? Many of their anime shows don't even show the English language credits at the end! We haven't even gotten official word of the actual cast, we're just going off what we hear in the trailer. And even still I certainly don't expect it to be outright bad.

I mean, I don't think twitter would've really gone that crazy just over Kira not getting a role and she would've supported anyone who was cast (and it's not like she hasn't been in JoJo already, she had roles in Parts 4 and 5), although she's had a longer association with Jolyne than just cosplaying as her frequently.

I also highly doubt that had anything to do with her being cast in the role, or at least it wasn't the main reason.

Of the VA's you list I think the only one that could've done it is Tara Platt because it's likely a Union Dub, but it would still be pretty unlikely.

Her Ora at the end sounded fine to me.
I dunno, the coincidence is just a bit much for me to brush off. She was the first choice of most people I saw talking about it in the weeks before, and you can bet that's the reason why. She's clearly the popular pick, so I don't want to rain on people's parade, I just don't like the precedent it sets. I definitely don't dislike her, but this is a special role I've been looking forward to, and there are other actors I'm a big fan of that I think are much more deserving.

Whatever, I'm sure it'll be fine. They got Matt Mercer back which is the other most important thing, and the rest of the cast is solid.

Frontier

Staff member
I dunno, the coincidence is just a bit much for me to brush off. She was the first choice of most people I saw talking about it in the weeks before, and you can bet that's the reason why. She's clearly the popular pick, so I don't want to rain on people's parade, I just don't like the precedent it sets. I definitely don't dislike her, but this is a special role I've been looking forward to, and there are other actors I'm a big fan of that I think are much more deserving.

Whatever, I'm sure it'll be fine. They got Matt Mercer back which is the other most important thing, and the rest of the cast is solid.
I mean, Mercer was a fan of Jotaro and wanted to get to play him and that happened, so it wouldn't be the first time.

I think she was only the "first choice" because she's so well associated with the character for one reason or another, but I'm sure she still went through an auditioning process.

WickedChild

Kissing the shadows
I mean, Mercer was a fan of Jotaro and wanted to get to play him and that happened, so it wouldn't be the first time.

I think she was only the "first choice" because she's so well associated with the character for one reason or another, but I'm sure she still went through an auditioning process.

Little different with Mercer, he wasn't publicly campaigning for the part.

WickedChild

Kissing the shadows
I don't think Kira has either beyond cosplay or wishing for it.

Well...yeah, that's the whole point of what I've been saying. Twitter/Instagram/Youtube is how showbiz people make their case these days, especially when it's something with an established fanbase. It's how Ryan Reynolds got Deadpool greenlit.

Frontier

Staff member
Well...yeah, that's the whole point of what I've been saying. Twitter/Instagram/Youtube is how showbiz people make their case these days, especially when it's something with an established fanbase. It's how Ryan Reynolds got Deadpool greenlit.
True, but I don't think she ever made that much of a concerted effort about it compared to what Reynolds did unless you count those times when she voiced Jolyne in fan dubs that I think were before she was even a professional VA.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
This is a very Netflix thing to do as they love to have long gaps between batches of episodes. They do this all the time with things I have been pretty sure were completed long before release as It makes little sense for Netflix to have 16 month gaps between six episode batches of sitcom episodes, but that's how Netflix rolls. I think the reason they do this is because they hope that people too lazy to look up the release date don't cancel their subscriptions and resubscribe when the next batch of episodes of the shows they want comes back. They just hope the allegedly stupid subscribers keeps checking the show page until the show finally magically arrives. Sucks that Netflix's business model will hurt the Japanese audience too as usually it just affects the international audience. I know some people think this will give David Production more time to touch up the show, but I suspect it's completed and just locked up in Netflix Jail.

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
This is a very Netflix thing to do as they love to have long gaps between batches of episodes. They do this all the time with things I have been pretty sure were completed long before release as It makes little sense for Netflix to have 16 month gaps between six episode batches of sitcom episodes, but that's how Netflix rolls. I think the reason they do this is because they hope that people too lazy to look up the release date don't cancel their subscriptions and resubscribe when the next batch of episodes of the shows they want comes back. They just hope the allegedly stupid subscribers keeps checking the show page until the show finally magically arrives. Sucks that Netflix's business model will hurt the Japanese audience too as usually it just affects the international audience. I know some people think this will give David Production more time to touch up the show, but I suspect it's completed and just locked up in Netflix Jail.
Netflix: the real Stone Ocean.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)
aegisrawks wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
I loved your post in that Nick thread. I really dislike Nick's mentality of "It didnt outdo the Super Bowl, CANCEL IT NAO" and I am so glad you agree, even if you are more realistic and more wise.
It seems evidently that, despite being completed, ''Walpurgisnacht Rising'' hasn't been released yet. What do you think?

Featured Posts