Knights of the Zodiac(Saint Seiya) getting a live-action movie

Frontier

Staff member
Well, this is a surprise...I'm sceptical of any American adaptation of a Japanese property, let alone a Shonen Battle Manga, but I'm curious to see how they handle it. Especially compared to the Netflix cartoon.

PicardMan

Staff member
This is one of the weird examples of a battle shonen on Cartoon Network in the early 00s that wasn't a huge success. It probably would have been bigger with less censorship and if it aired on Toonami itself. Curious why this one escaped development hell and not something like that Naruto movie considering how much more name recognition that gets. I think Netflix is giving this a little bit of a second wind, but I don't know how much of one. Looks like this one is in the category of anime adaptation really for real happening. It's scary as Dragonball Evolution is the only American battle shonen adaptation and it sucked. As long as its not Spider-Man ripoff with Greek mythology as Evolution was a Spider-Man ripoff with martial arts.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
This is one of the weird examples of a battle shonen on Cartoon Network in the early 00s that wasn't a huge success. It probably would have been bigger with less censorship and if it aired on Toonami itself. Curious why this one escaped development hell and not something like that Naruto movie considering how much more name recognition that gets. I think Netflix is giving this a little bit of a second wind, but I don't know how much of one. Looks like this one is in the category of anime adaptation really for real happening. It's scary as Dragonball Evolution is the only American battle shonen adaptation and it sucked. As long as its not Spider-Man ripoff with Greek mythology as Evolution was a Spider-Man ripoff with martial arts.

Saint Seiya is one of those shows that might have gotten popular in America had it come in the mid-90's like Sailor Moon and Ronin Warriors. While it's not really popular here, the show was huge in Latin America and Europe, where it aired in the early 90's.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Now it all makes sense why Netflix randomly re-dubbed the original show, and made that CGI remake. I think they were hoping to make Saint Seiya more recognizable as a brand before unveiling their own movie.

I...have my doubts after the Netflix Death Note movie, but hopefully this one can overcome the odds.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
The best movie template in terms of expected content with the concept is Gods of Egypt...Hope they get someone like Alex Proyas to adapt it.

PicardMan

Staff member
Now it all makes sense why Netflix randomly re-dubbed the original show, and made that CGI remake. I think they were hoping to make Saint Seiya more recognizable as a brand before unveiling their own movie.

I...have my doubts after the Netflix Death Note movie, but hopefully this one can overcome the odds.

That press release didn't mention the part about this being a Netflix movie. Thought and hoped it would be theatrical. Even the non anime Netflix original movies don't inspire confidence as I didn't see what all the Bird Box hype was about.

Saint Seiya is one of those shows that might have gotten popular in America had it come in the mid-90's like Sailor Moon and Ronin Warriors. While it's not really popular here, the show was huge in Latin America and Europe, where it aired in the early 90's.

I was thinking the movie might be made to appeal to that region. In America, it seems like we got the imitator, Ronin Warriors, first probably because it didn't have the bloody violence that needed censoring (like the iconic opening scene of a guy getting an ear punched off). Weird how there are hardly any sentai style battle shonen and it seems like to this day, Dragonball Z is still the blueprint with the other 80s action anime like Saint Seiya and City Hunter nowhere near as copied. Maybe being based on a lesser known anime (at least in America) will actually work in this movie's favor, as Alita, also based on an obscure property, is maybe the only not hated American adaptation of an anime. All the adaptations of famous anime like Dragonball, Ghost in the Shell, and Death Note fell into the curse of the American adaptation, so maybe being based on something obscure would help, or maybe not (see live action Guyver).

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
I was thinking the movie might be made to appeal to that region. In America, it seems like we got the imitator, Ronin Warriors, first probably because it didn't have the bloody violence that needed censoring (like the iconic opening scene of a guy getting an ear punched off). Weird how there are hardly any sentai style battle shonen and it seems like to this day, Dragonball Z is still the blueprint with the other 80s action anime like Saint Seiya and City Hunter nowhere near as copied. Maybe being based on a lesser known anime (at least in America) will actually work in this movie's favor, as Alita, also based on an obscure property, is maybe the only not hated American adaptation of an anime. All the adaptations of famous anime like Dragonball, Ghost in the Shell, and Death Note fell into the curse of the American adaptation, so maybe being based on something obscure would help, or maybe not (see live action Guyver).

Yeah, that's true. Maybe Hollywood should try more slightly obscure anime for adaptations. I'm surprised they haven't done more romance or shojo adapations. I could see stuff like Fruits Basket or Kimagure Orange Road being decent adaptations.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
That press release didn't mention the part about this being a Netflix movie. Thought and hoped it would be theatrical. Even the non anime Netflix original movies don't inspire confidence as I didn't see what all the Bird Box hype was about.

Whoops, I have to admit, I assumed it was heading to Netflix, but I guess that isn't confirmed. I'm sure Netflix will try to grab it, though.
Yeah, that's true. Maybe Hollywood should try more slightly obscure anime for adaptations. I'm surprised they haven't done more romance or shojo adapations. I could see stuff like Fruits Basket or Kimagure Orange Road being decent adaptations.

I feel like now it's too late to adapt something like Fruits Basket, since the entire YA film industry seems to have imploded, and that seems like the audience they would aim a Shojo adaption at.

AdrenalineRush1996

I feel like now it's too late to adapt something like Fruits Basket, since the entire YA film industry seems to have imploded, and that seems like the audience they would aim a Shojo adaption at.
Well, that and some of the recent YA films have been released on streaming services than in cinemas.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Andy Cheng, who was a fight choreographer on Shang-Chi is doing a similar role for Knights of the Zodiac. The interesting tidbit from this article is that Toei is banking on this being successful, enough that they could make 6 or 7 movies from it.o_O

Frontier

Staff member
Andy Cheng, who was a fight choreographer on Shang-Chi is doing a similar role for Knights of the Zodiac. The interesting tidbit from this article is that Toei is banking on this being successful, enough that they could make 6 or 7 movies from it.o_O

Kind of makes me wonder how they plan to adapt the story...Will they adapt Galaxian War or try to get into Sanctuary with the Gold Saints like the CG film did?

PicardMan

Staff member
American adaptations of anime even getting a sequel is pretty rare as direct to video Guyver is the only one I can think of that pulled that off. Even the well regarded Alita never got a sequel, which is frustrating for those hoping for closure of that story.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Streaker Prower wrote on LinusFan303's profile.
Hey LinusFan303, What did you just said about Kickoff to Christmas on "Freeform (Formerly ABC Family)" Network Thread! I know that Kickoff To Christmas will happen this year, I just wait for the Schedule to happen.
Happy 52nd birthday to Vanessa Marshall.
My tweet become banger?? how?

Did a search for Woody Woodpecker this morning, and I found this...

Featured Posts