Kodansha Comics USA to Release Original Ashita no Joe Manga

Mandouga

Article

According to ICv2, it will be published under the name "Ashita no Joe: Fighting for Tomorrow", which sounds kind of like two different names. It will have 8 "oversized volumes", and will come out beginning in December.

The article says it inspired two anime TV shows (1970, and 1980), and two anime movies (1980, and 1981). It also inspired the show Megalobox, which I don't think was simulcast in North America, but I'm not sure. What it doesn't mention is that it also inspired a Neo Geo arcade game, known as "Ashita no Joe Legend", which even though it wasn't released outside of Japan, has a complete English translation which changes the game's name to "Legend of Success Joe".

It also says it "would later inspire two generations of sports and shonen manga". In any case, I don't think some of you are going to like the ending, and that's all I'll say about it.

Did I mention that this manga predates Rocky (1976)? Actually, it predates it by 8 years.

Anyway, I just thought you all should know.

aegisrawks

I have a question, can we have a thread on Manga if there is no anime release, at least for USA?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

If the Bocchi the Rock! compilation movies don't get dubbed into English, it will be a huge loss. Do you agree with me?
Why wasn't the case with Bocchi the Rock? Crunchyroll must really re-issue the anime with a dub. Or else... Discotek Media will rescue the anime and dub it without any hesitation. What do you think?
As far as I know, a lot of successful anime gets dubbed in English and other foreign languages.
I find it weird that a sleeper hit that was Bocchi the Rock! wasn't dubbed in English (and any foreign language). Why?

Featured Posts