"Krypto The Superdog: The Complete Series" DVD Release Talkback (Spoilers)

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
A new breed of Super Hero arrives with Krypto The Superdog: The Complete Series

t-cover.jpg

Click here for more details!

Krypto The Superdog: The Complete Series
Studio:
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment
Release Date: September 27, 2022 August 2, 2022

Synopsis: In 2005, a new breed of Super Hero claimed its place of prominence among Saturday morning cartoons with the premiere of Krypto The Superdog: The Complete Series. On August 2, 2022, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment brings the acclaimed complete animated series to DVD (USA $44.98 SRP; Canada $49.99 SRP).

Created by Chris Mitchell, Krypto The Superdog: The Complete Series follows the adventures of the title character – Superman’s beloved pooch – who also acquires the powers afforded his original Earthbound master. Alongside allies like Ace The Bat-Hound and Streaky the Supercat, Krypto fights the forces of evil, which include the animal companions of Lex Luthor and Catwoman.

Sam Vincent (Ninjago, Sausage Party) voiced the title character to lead the robust cast that included Brian Drummond (Monster Beach) as Streaky, Scott McNeil (X-Men: Evolution) as Ace the Bat-Hound, Alberto Ghisi (Trick ‘r Treat) as Kevin Whitney, Tabita St. Germain (My Little Pony franchise) as Andrea, Terry Klassen (Dragon Ball Z) as Tusky Husky, Ellen Kennedy (Polly Pocket) as Brainy Barker, Michael Dobson (The Deep) as Bulldog. Additional cast members included Peter Kelamis (Beyond, Riverdale) as Tail Terrier, Mark Oliver (Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitsu) as Mechanikat, Trevor Devall (He-Man and the Masters of the Universe) as Hot Dog, and Nicole Bouma (Powerpuff Girls Z) as Snooky Wookums.

Scott Jeralds (Static Shock) and Alan Burnett (Batman: The Animated Series) served as supervising producers, and Linda Steiner (Pound Puppies) and Paul Dini (Superman: The Animated Series) were producers on the series. Sander Schwartz was the executive producer. Burnett and Dini also served as story editors, while Jeralds directed all 39 episodes of Krypto the Superdog.

DISC 1
Ep- 01 Krypto’s Scripto: Pt. 1 and Pt. 2
Ep- 02 Super-Flea / A Bug’s Strife
Ep- 03 Meet the Dog Stars / The Streaky Story
Ep- 04 Diaper Madness / Feline Fatale
Ep- 05 Dog-Gone Kevin / The Dark Hound Strikes!
Ep- 06 My Pet Boy / Dem Bones
Ep- 07 Bathound for a Day / Dog Bot
Ep- 08 Old Dog, New Tricks / Talk to the Animals

DISC 2
Ep- 09 My Uncle, the Superhero / Top Dog
Ep- 10 Puss in Space Boots / Teen Tiny Trouble
Ep- 11 Dogbot To The Rescue / Bad Bailey
Ep- 12 Bathound’s Bad Luck / Circus of the Dog Stars
Ep- 13 The Living End / The Dog Days of Winter
Ep- 14 Bad Hair Day / The Cat and the Bat
Ep- 15 Melanie’s Monkey / Funny Business
Ep- 16 Now You See Him. . . / Bones of Contention

DISC 3
Ep- 17 Superdog? Who’s Superdog? / The Good Life
Ep- 18 Streaky’s Super Cat Tale / The New Recruit
Ep- 19 Up, Up and Away / Dinosaur Time
Ep- 20 Puppy Problems / Switching Sides
Ep- 21 Leaf of Absence / Big Sister
Ep- 22 Bathound Meets The Dog Stars / A Dog’s Life
Ep- 23 Stray for a Day / Ruffled Feathers

DISC 4
Ep- 24 Bathound and the Robin / Furry Fish
Ep- 25 Tusky’s Tooth / When Penguins Fly
Ep- 26 Storybook Holiday: Pt. 1 and Pt. 2
Ep- 27 Kids in Capes / Attack of the Virtual Vegetables
Ep- 28 Mechani-Bot / Stretch-O-Mutt to the Rescue
Ep- 29 Growing Pains / K-9 Krusader
Ep- 30 Andrea Finds Out! / Magic Mutts
Ep- 31 Reptile Round-Up / Streaky’s Field Trip
Ep- 32 Pied Pussycat Piper / Solar Specs

DISC 5
Ep- 33 Too Many Cooks / Join the Club
Ep- 34 Bailey’s Back / Streaky’s Inner Struggle
Ep- 35 Face Time / Catopia
Ep- 36 The Parrot and the Pirates / Robbie’s Return
Ep- 37 Revolt of the Beavers / Invasion from the Planet Peanut
Ep- 38 Mechanikalamity / Barrumpbarrump
Ep- 39 Iguanukkah

Please note this talkback is specifically for the DVD set - which includes discussing the physical set, the audio and video quality and bonus content, and so on. To discuss individual episodes, check out the Talkback Collection Thread!

Discuss this long-awaited Krypto The Superdog home video release right here at The DC Animation Forum!

Related Discussion:

-Krypto the Superdog: The Complete Series DVD Review
-DC League of Super-Pets Talkback
-DC Super Hero Girls "#BeastsInShow" Talkback
-Justice League Action "Best Day Ever" Talkback
-DC Nation DC Super-Pets! "Joke's on You" Talkback
-DC Nation DC Super-Pets! "Krypto vs. Streaky" Talkback
-DC Nation DC Super-Pets! "World's Finest Bark" Talkback
-DC Nation DC Super-Pets! "The League of Just Us Cows" Talkback
-Krypto the Superdog Series Talkback
-Krypto The Superdog "Krypto Scripto" Series Premiere Talkback

Kirben

Wasn't this DVD release delayed until 27th September? at least that is the release date Amazon and other online stores are showng now.

Kirben

Can someone confirm whether the series is actually in true widecreen or not? nothing on the back cover to indicate the aspect ratio

JonnyQuest037

DCAU Historian
I need to pick this set up! I got to pencil a Krypto the Superdog coloring book, Test Pilot Puppy!, for DC's licensing department back in 2006. I started recording and watching the show for research, and I became a fan. It really made me realize how much kid appeal the Krypto concept really has. What could be cooler to a 10-year-old kid than having a pet dog with super powers?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Can someone confirm whether the series is actually in true widescreen or not? nothing on the back cover to indicate the aspect ratio
It is in 1.78:1 (or widescreen 16:9 encoded to a 853x480 matrix) which I think is the first time it has been presented in that ratio.

Parker-Shepherd

Here's a bit of trivia for those that might not know, this series was going to get another season but got cancelled because of copyright problems.

However, a tie in comic series was published around the time, Krypto the Superdog ended.

Now that I think about it, around that time there was a lawsuit going on about who owned the rights to Superman, if I remember correctly.

I think Netflix used to have Krypto the Superdog DVDs but it wasn't the complete series, just a few episodes per disk.

JonnyQuest037

DCAU Historian
Now that I think about it, around that time there was a lawsuit going on about who owned the rights to Superman, if I remember correctly.
That would've been when Jerry Siegel's heirs were suing DC for the rights to Superman and Superboy, which led to DC Comics killing off the Kon-El Superboy for a while until the fuss died down and the nonsense of calling Superboy "Young Superman" in the Legion of Super-Heroes cartoon.

I also got a directive when I was getting ready to start penciling the coloring book Krypto: Test Pilot Puppy for DC's licensing department that I could no longer draw Superman in the book, even though he'd appeared on the cartoon series we were adapting. So instead of Superman appearing on the front page of a newspaper on one page, I just drew a picture of his emblem. I'm sure there were legal/licensing reasons behind that.

Parker-Shepherd

That would've been when Jerry Siegel's heirs were suing DC for the rights to Superman and Superboy, which led to DC Comics killing off the Kon-El Superboy for a while until the fuss died down and the nonsense of calling Superboy "Young Superman" in the Legion of Super-Heroes cartoon.

I also got a directive when I was getting ready to start penciling the coloring book Krypto: Test Pilot Puppy for DC's licensing department that I could no longer draw Superman in the book, even though he'd appeared on the cartoon series we were adapting. So instead of Superman appearing on the front page of a newspaper on one page, I just drew a picture of his emblem. I'm sure there were legal/licensing reasons behind that.
That sounds about right. If I'm not mistaken, Superman Returns and the Richard Donner cut of Superman 2, were released in 2006, which if I'm not mistaken, was the year the lawsuit happened. Smallville was also on TV too. There was a tie in Krypto the Superdog comic book but it only ran for six issues.

I remember a survey question where people were asked online about what cartoons they wanted to see rebooted or continued and Krypto the Superdog was one of the answers fans wrote down.

JonnyQuest037

DCAU Historian
That sounds about right. If I'm not mistaken, Superman Returns and the Richard Donner cut of Superman 2, were released in 2006, which if I'm not mistaken, was the year the lawsuit happened.
If you follow the link in my post, you'll see that the lawsuit was filed in October of 2004.

Parker-Shepherd

If you follow the link in my post, you'll see that the lawsuit was filed in October of 2004.
I'll take a look. Thanks.

I remember reading Krypto the Superdog premiered on cartoon Network in March 2005, which was five months after the lawsuit was filed.

I think a few episodes of Krypto the Superdog were released on DVD about a year later but a complete series set didn't exist until last fall.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts