"Looney Tunes Cartoons" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Use this thread to discuss the new Looney Tunes Cartoons, available starting today on HBO Max!

Looney Tunes Cartoons
Series debut - May 27th, 2020 (on HBO Max)

Synopsis: Warner Bros. Animation’s all-new series Looney Tunes Cartoons echoes the high production value and process of the original Looney Tunes theatrical shorts with a cartoonist-driven approach to storytelling. Marquee Looney Tunes characters will be featured in their classic pairings in simple, gag-driven and visually vibrant stories. The new series will include 80 eleven-minute episodes, each comprised of animated shorts that vary in length and include adapted storylines for today’s audience. Fans can also look forward to holiday-themed specials.

The voice cast includes Eric Bauza, Jeff Bergman and Bob Bergen. Pete Browngardt and Sam Register serve as Executive Producers.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Other relevant links
:
"Looney Tunes Cartoons" News & Discussion Thread
"Looney Tunes Cartoons" Page on HBO Max

Watch "Pest Coaster" on YouTube
Watch "Wet Cement" on YouTube
Watch "Tunnel Vision" on YouTube
Watch "Boo! Appetweet" & "Bubble Dum" on YouTube

Last edited:

Yippee Coyote

Graphic Novelist
Disney+ had Steamboat Willie, HBO Max has Steamboat Willie's knockoff :bosko:

1590582666292.png

Mandouga

Incidentally, the main characters are named "Foxy" and "Roxy". That's right. It's the same characters that appeared in that one episode of Tiny Toon Adventures (along with "Goopy Geer"*, another little known character from the black and white era), although in that show they had different character designs. Also, isn't this short actually in the public domain?...

*Who's similar to Goofy, but apparently, neither was really meant to be a copy of the other, although Goopy Geer technically came first.

wiley207

So far some fun stuff! The animation is really nice and the music and writing are fun. The sound effects are rather unusual; at times they feel more reminiscent of "Ren & Stimpy" or "Rocko's Modern Life" instead of a classic WB cartoon. I even heard some of Horta Editorial's old custom sound effects here and there; I assume the uncredited sound designer/editor is someone who used to work for Horta Editorial or Hacienda Post. Of course if only they decided to go with DigiPost.TV instead of just restricting that to the serious DC Comics stuff, we'd actually get stuff like the Treg Brown falling down whistles instead of Hanna-Barbera's or whatever.
Thad Komorowski mentioned that a Korean animation studio was fired from this series. And that studio turned out to be Yearim Productions. To be honest, I'm not surprised Yearim was fired, as even on "Wabbit"/"New Looney Tunes" their episodes didn't look as good as Snipple Animation. Maybe if they wanted a Korean studio they would've had better luck with Lotto Animation?

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
Watched the first episode, I like what I see so far.

cheril59

Thad Komorowski mentioned that a Korean animation studio was fired from this series. And that studio turned out to be Yearim Productions. To be honest, I'm not surprised Yearim was fired, as even on "Wabbit"/"New Looney Tunes" their episodes didn't look as good as Snipple Animation. Maybe if they wanted a Korean studio they would've had better luck with Lotto Animation?
WB fire Yearim? But they were so good with "Baby Looney Tunes", "Duck Dodgers", "Tom & Jerry Tales", and "The Looney Tunes Show".

I've watched all 10 episodes of LTC and they were great. Someone episodes inspired others, like the beginning and end scenes of Firehouse Frenzy. They really inspired Tick Tock Tuckered.

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
I just got HBO Max and so I saw some Looney Tunes cartoons and I really like the series more than I expected. I think it’s the best Looney Tunes series since Duck Dodgers.

wiley207

I just watched "Shower Shuffle" and thought it was pretty funny. I could relate to Porky at times; I hate it when someone runs water when I'm in the shower, and the pressure changes and hurts me, either with a brief boiling burn or stinging icy cold. Though I will admit Daffy's ugly run-down bathroom was kind of "Ren & Stimpy"-esque, and there was that bit with Daffy's booger-covered tissue, though that was honestly not much different from some of the 90s Spielberg WB cartoons (and it was Porky's reaction that made me laugh.)
"Fleece and Desist" was also fun; I hope to see more of Ralph Wolf and Sam Sheepdog soon!

dothesmartthing

Planet Yakko
I've watched a few episodes and so far I'm digging the new series. Sam Sheepdog and Ralph Wolf, I don't get to see you guys often. Welcome back.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Looney Tunes Cartoons "Ep 1 101"

Curse Of The Monkeybird:

I love the design of the elephant and the Monkeybird.

I have to confess. I like the old Looney Tunes cartoons. But I rarely (if ever) laughed at them. They are so dated in hindsight. But I was losing it here during the bit with the booby traps. The idea that one of them is getting kicked in the face by a horse is genius in its absurdity. I'm loving these new cartoons. *****.

Marvin Flag:

Good animation in this cartoon. ****.

Harm Wrestling:

Wow, Yosemite Sam is ripped. I like the way he giggles.

I laughed at the entire saloon being turned into dynamite.

Pretty good. ***1/2.

Episode Overall: ****1/2.

Looney Tunes Cartoons "Ep 2 102"

Big League Beast:

I like the Gossamer on The Looney Tunes Show better.

I like the Mad Scientist though. Bugs Bunny is like the worst neighbor ever.

Gossamer's portfolio shots were funny.

Pretty good. But Bugs is a jerk. ****.

Mini Elmer:

This cartoon would make a pretty good videogame. ****.

Firehouse Frenzy:

At least Porky Pig doesn't have any nipples here.

The firepole sequence was very well animated and imaginative.

I like that Daffy takes the guy walking the Dalmation for the Dalmation and paints him with spots.

Solid. ****.

Episode Overall: ****.

Looney Tunes Cartoons "Ep 3 103"

"Boo! Appetweet"

Great concept for a cartoon. It's clear a new generation of writers are able to think up things the original creators never dreamed of. The animation was excellent too.

Sylvester saying he ate that darn canary seemed to be a reference to The Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries.

Tweety ain't afwaid of no puddies.

Honestly, that was probably the best Sylvester and Tweety cartoon I've ever seen. *****.

"Plunger"

Good. ****.

"Bubble Dum"

You know what? That was nasty. *

Episode Overall: ***1/2.

Looney Tunes Cartoons "Ep 4 104"

Pain In The Ice:

Saucy title.

I like the design on the polar bear.

Decent. ***1/2.

Tunnel Vision:

Wile E. getting trapped in the tunnel is a new twist. ****.

Pool Bunny:

You know what? Bugs was far crueler to Elmer than the situation called for. Making him step on tacks, jacks, and mousetraps? He's a jerk.

Bugs has a wife and kids? The little bunnies ARE pretty cute.

I will never get used to seeing Looney Tunes characters with nipples.

I think the "Buddy" gag is the thing that bothers me the most. Bugs wanted to use the pool, right? Wouldn't it have made sense to offer to be Elmer's pool buddy in that moment? It's like he's so focused on being cruel he is working against what he says he wanted.

Bad short. *.

Episode Overall: **1/2.

Looney Tunes Cartoons "Ep 5 105"

Pest Coaster:

Bold opinion: This isn't measurably better or worse than either The Looney Tunes Show or Wabbit. The animation is better and the character designs finally look all right, but for this specific short, looking at it through a modern lens, I can't help nitpicking it. Just because of all of the other stuff I've seen.

Sam planned to dynamite one of the rides? How does he expect to keep his job, much less not be thrown in Abu Graib for being a terrorist? And while of course it makes sense the baby is a doll to suggest Sam's actions were entirely futile, it amazes me the show is dumb enough to show a character seeming to take a baby on a rollercoaster to begin with.

For the record, the Bugs in drag jokes have not aged well.

I didn't love this one. *1/2.

Rhino You Don't!:

I like the hologram of all of the animals chasing Sylvester at the end.

The dumb baby seal was cute.

Good. ***1/2.

Episode Overall: **1/2.

Looney Tunes Cartoons "Ep 6 106"

Buzzard School:

I love Beaky Buzzard! Nope nope nope! It's too gruesome!

Why does Bugs call him Spinoza? Didn't get that reference.

That was funny! ****1/2.

Marvin Flag:

I loved that. That was a really cool idea for a planet. *****.

Wet Cement:

That was a bonafide hit.

Who was the guy in the statue Daffy made in the cement? It seemed like an Easter Egg I missed.

The last words of the cartoon being "I am one stuck duck," were entirely appropriate. ****1/2.

Episode Overall: ****1/2.

Looney Tunes Cartoons "Ep 7 107"

Siberian Sam:

I like the husky and that she's named Melania. Good slam.

A dunce cap for Sam is about right.

"Eat at Vlad's". Another good slam.

Weirdly topical cartoon. ****.

Moving Hole:

Nice interstitial cartoon. ***1/2.

Fleece & Desist:

A Sam and Ralph cartoon! I have always loved how Ralph looks almost exactly like the Coyote except for the red nose and snaggletooth.

The recycling bin points out it's a modern cartoon.

Yay! *****.

Marvin Flag:

This almost seems like an existential cartoon. ****.

Looney Tunes Cartoons "Ep 8 108"

Grilled Rabbit:

What a great premise for a cartoon.

The lie detector here isn't as great as Moe's on The Simpsons. But it's great for the same reasons.

I love Bugs giving Elmer a sphincter face. Mind officially blown.

Funny stuff. *****.

Cactus If You Can:

It amazes me how they can keep coming up with new premises for these cartoons decades later.

The biggest difference between then and now? I'd have to say the newer cartoons are a lot more violent. The stuff with the cactus bordered on horrific. ****.

Shower Shuffle:

I can totally see Porky's bumbum.

I like that Daffy Duck is the specific type of gross loser who uses toilet paper for Kleenex.

Pretty good (if a little gross). ***1/2.

Looney Tunes Cartoons "Ep 9 109"

Overdue Duck:

I like the goon but it seems to me that beating up Daffy instead of Porky would have been more effective. ****.

Bees:

Bees! Eek! ***.

Vincent Van Fudd:

Pretty Good Artist Magazine? Dream big, Elmer.

Return of the red paint / ketchup gag. Been decades since we've been allowed to do that one.

Everyone's a critic. ****.

Looney Tunes Cartoons "Ep 10 110"

Hare Restoration:

Last line was a groaner.

Elmer Fudd says he's thinning a little on top. Right.

All right. ***1/2.

TNT Trouble:

I love that Wile E licks the binoculars.

Roadrunner eats the Coyote. Didn't see that coming.

Fun. ****.

Plumber's Quack:

Great title.

Since when does Elmer have body hair?

I gotta say, the expressions they animated on Daffy in this cartoon were absolutely amazing. That's some Chuck Jones level of expressiveness.

Neat. ****.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter

I saw the article. They do briefly mention The Looney Tunes Show, but that's about it. The main point of the article seems to be that the show relies too heavily on nostalgia for comedy rather than trying to evolve with the times. They also say the show should have some kind of satirical angle ala The Simpsons. At least, that's what I think they're saying.

Mandouga

That's also what it sounds like to me, which really just shows what they know about this new series, and maybe...just maybe even the characters themselves, but what can you expect from a biased review like that? Basically, all it really says is "the show is good, but it would be better if it was more like The Simpsons". In other words, this article basically thinks that this series should try to be something it isn't, in order to stay "relevant", but the characters are not only timeless, in their own way, they've been relevant ever since they first started back in the 1930s. They don't need to be like all the other shows out there (especially the prime time shows made for mom and dad).

Really, everyone. I don't like that whole "out with the old, in with the new" idea. Maybe that was the article's intention, maybe it wasn't, but again, that really is what it sounds like to me. As for me, my only real issue isn't actually with the series itself, but with HBO Max labeling most of the shorts as "TV-PG" (one of them was labeled "TV-Y7"), but that's something else entirely.

Pooky

Staff member
Apparently our always-irrelevant friends at National Review never knew about The Looney Tunes Show.
View attachment 282206

Oh boy, just imagine how fresh and funny these cartoons would be if they were "taking on Hamilton or the Avengers"!

He is right about Daffy eating street him though. Gross

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
A Looney Tunes Cartoons Holiday Special premieres today on HBO Max!

Bugs Bunny's 24-Carrot Holiday Special (Season "1B")
Debut - December 3, 2020 (on HBO Max)

Synopsis: The Looney Tunes are here to get you in the holiday spirit with Bugs Bunny's 24-Carrot Holiday Special. Duck the halls with Porky and Daffy as they travel to the North Pole on a mission to save Christmas. Don’t miss out on all the holiday sales when Granny and Tweety go hunting for deals…and Sylvester goes hunting for a delicious yellow bird. Finally, it’s the ultimate cold war when a snowball fight quickly escalates between feuding neighbors Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd. Along with other favorites like Taz, Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner, let the Looney Tunes jumpstart your holiday season celebration.

Comments?

Last edited:

wiley207

Ooooh, I like how the Tasmanian Devil is in the same design as in his old theatrical cartoons from the 50s and early 60s!

Nice to see Tweety acting more violent again like in the 1940s.

It kind of annoys me how this series prefers to use Hanna-Barbera's fight bell clang, yet the "Animaniacs" revival and "Scooby-Doo and Guess Who" actually use the classic Warner Bros. fight bell sound effect, which is ironically on the Hanna-Barbera SoundFX Library CD set! (which is probably why the latter uses it, given its' heavy use of H-B sounds.)
And it's also partially annoying still hearing the H-B "shell screaming whine down" used a lot, and it's largely because of how Warner Bros. Sound doesn't want to hunt down a copy of any of the actual Treg Brown falling whistles, and DigiPost.TV (which often used them) is no longer active either. And then when the people pounce on Sylvester hiding behind the HDTV, I heard a couple of the dreaded "Premiere Edition" cat yowls. (Seriously, doesn't anyone doing sound editing on such cartoons know that they can easily purchase the classic Disney/WB cat yowl sound effects track from SoundDogs or SourceAudio for a low price?! Then again, it seems the International Sound Effects Library (where it's on) doesn't seem to get much usage these days...)
I'm still wondering who this show's sound effects editor(s) is? Probably at least someone who worked at Horta Editorial in the 1990s, given the very similar sound effects (which is why the sound effects in this series tend to give me more of a "Rocko's Modern Life" vibe than classic Looney Tunes, and THAT show used the classic WB sounds a lot as well).

The Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote segment was pretty fun, but why is there snow in the desert? Usually there only would be snow there if Wile E. Coyote used a snow-making machine (like in "Hairied and Hurried" and "Freeze Frame").

Still a fun special, and one I'll be watching every holiday season for the time being! And once again Snipple Animation outdid themselves. I'm really liking what they do so far!

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Looney Tunes Cartoons "Bugs Bunny's 24-Carrot Holiday Special"

The Daffy and Porky cartoon is great, but that wasn't so hot overall. What I will say is that it puts that CBS primetime specials from the 1970's and 80's to shame. Those were nothing but clips shows surrounded by some truly bargain-basement cheaply-animated wraparounds. This is the same idea as those specials, except with new cartoons and an actual budget. I didn't love the episode. but I appreciated how superior it was to Bugs Bunny's Thanks-for-giving Special.

Elf Help:

Porky and Daffy are nothing but a couple of scabs!

I like Santa's character design.

Daffy lays eggs? Is he a girl duck?

Daffy and Porky will take their coal and like it.

The Elves REALLY need that dental plan. Also, Lisa needs braces.

Funny. ****1/2.

Yuletide Taz:

This sketch never seems to actually end. Why didn't they have Jim Cumming voice Taz? ***.

Holiday Purrchase:

Always remember, no matter how cute Tweety looks on pink girls' T-shirts, he's an irredeemable sadist and a truly sick individual.

Boy, Sylvester sure can crack dose nuts. Wait, what?

I'm betting even Charlie Brown's friends couldn't magically wave their arms around and fix up the Sylvester tree.

Funny, but mean-spirited by the end. ***.

Ho Ho Go!:

Passable, but does nothing new with the premise. ***.

Snow Laughing Matter:

Is it just me of is Elmer Fudd uncharacteristically a total monster in this cartoon?

Firm Opinion: The Animaniacs relaunch is far better and funnier than Looney Tunes Cartoons. Nothing proves it more than this worthless cartoon. **.

Episode Overall: ***.

powerjake

Banned
The Looney Tunes cartoons is not bad but lacks the charm of what made the classic theatrical shorts so good. Even shows like Taz-Mania, The Sylvester & Tweety Mysteries, Duck Dodgers (2003 series) were better than this HBO Max series.

I have not watched full episodes of The Looney Tunes Show or Wabbit/New Looney Tunes only some clips on youtube so my opinion on these cartoons is too incomplete and not sure what to think of them.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts