"Looney Tunes Cartoons" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Finally, I'll add a couple of extra notes about this season. This season was far too Daffy-heavy. Bugs and Daffy need to share a cartoon as rivals. And Taz didn't appear at all (and neither did Marvin), and we also didn't get a single Roadrunner cartoon. I felt the earlier seasons of this show were a bit hit and miss, but we had way more variety in them. Sylvester only appears twice in a main short, and with Tweety only once. It feels like these specific ten episodes have the show in a rut. Hopefully, the next batch will be more varied. But I miss the days we could see a cartoon with Hubert and Bertie or Charlie the Dog. **.

Wow, this sure failed to have the variety of what made the classic theatrical shorts so loved and remembered.

Goldstar!

Just a tad spicy
Wow, this sure failed to have the variety of what made the classic theatrical shorts so loved and remembered.
A little variety in the lineups and pairings would be nice, but I would hardly call Looney Tunes Cartoons a failure. My biggest complaint (aside from the directors always staying with the same combinations) is that we still haven't gotten an appearance by Lola. I just want to see her depicted here, hopefully as a funny character like she was on The Looney Tunes Show or New Looney Tunes and not bland cypher like she was on Space Jam.

Silverstar

Jet Flyin', Limousine Ridin'
Looney Tunes Cartoons feels way too tame compared to the classic theatrical shorts.
We're never going to get a 100% rehash of the original shorts; that's an impossible goal to achieve since the original directors and animators are either deceased or retired. It's like trying to create another Beatles or another Woodstock; it's not going to happen.

For me, any new Looney Tunes project doesn't have to be a mirror of the classic shorts, it just has to be good and look and feel like Looney Tunes, and that's what these shorts (as well as the criminally underrated New Looney Tunes) do/did, at least for me. Peoples' mileage will vary of course, but I personally think Looney Tunes Cartoons is pretty good, not perfect, but not all of the original shorts were winners either. New Looney Tunes and Looney Tunes Cartoons are what I expected The Looney Tunes Show to be.

Last edited:

disneyphilip

A little variety in the lineups and pairings would be nice, but I would hardly call Looney Tunes Cartoons a failure. My biggest complaint (aside from the directors always staying with the same combinations) is that we still haven't gotten an appearance by Lola. I just want to see her depicted here, hopefully as a funny character like she was on The Looney Tunes Show or New Looney Tunes and not bland cypher like she was on Space Jam.

I agree.

Regardless, Looney Tunes Cartoons still feels more like a variety show than Animaniacs 2020.

MarshalGrover

I laughed more at of one of the new Mickey Mouse specials than any of these shorts. That should not be right.

disneyphilip

Since they've indicated that more shorts will be made beyond the initial 209, let's hope that they'll succeed in coming up with ideas for Sylvester Jr. and the Goofy Gophers and that they'll get more experimental with character team-ups like Wabbit/New Looney Tunes did.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
Watched season 3 today and now in the middle of season 4.

TsWade2

I'm not sure how true it is, but I found this video that Warner Bros is coming to San Diego Comic Con this month saying not only they're going to show Bugs Bunny Builders and Tiny Toons Looniversity, they also might announce that they're making more shorts for Looney Tunes Cartoon on HBO Max:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
A Looney Tunes Cartoons Halloween Special premieres today!
Looney Tunes Cartoons Bugs Bunny's Howl-O-Skreem Spooktacula
Debut - September 29, 2022 (on HBO Max)

Synopsis: In this seasonal anthology, the Looney Tunes celebrate Halloween! Daffy and Porky take a dear friend to a final resting place, Witch Hazel chases down an ingredient for her spell, Sylvester finds a suspicious motel and Bugs meets a mummy.

Comments?

The shorts aren't bad, but we can not replicate the style and atmosphere of the Golden era of animation. I'm not sure what it is, but this new Looney Tunes Cartoon aren't really that impressive. They try to be like the cartoons from the past, but just can not really replicate them.

Goldstar!

Just a tad spicy
The shorts aren't bad, but we can not replicate the style and atmosphere of the Golden era of animation. I'm not sure what it is, but this new Looney Tunes Cartoon aren't really that impressive. They try to be like the cartoons from the past, but just can not really replicate them.
Well, we're never going to get a 100% reiteration of the original Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies shorts. That's just not possible. Everyone who worked on the original shorts at Termite Terrace is either passed on or long retired. It's a fair point that the original theatrical shorts from the 1940s to late 1950s are better. I don't think that anyone was expecting these shorts to surpass, or even equal the originals, but saying "the original shorts are better" is like saying that the Chip 'N' Dale: Rescue Rangers movie that debuted earlier this year on Disney+ wasn't as good as Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Anyone who came into that film expecting that to happen was setting themselves up for disappointment. Naturally, some low budget nostalgia trip movie that was made for streaming isn't going to compare to one of the greatest cinematic achievements of all time. Personally, I think that these shorts are pretty good. They're not as good as the originals, but I never thought that they would be. Looney Tunes Cartoons is at least better than the DePatie-Freleng Looney Tunes shorts from the 1960s. These shorts beat those by a country mile.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts