Lovecraftian Lore and Horror in Animation

Troy Troodon

Ever noticed there was not one direct adaption of HP Lovecraft's work, most notably with Cthulu and the Yog-Sothoth mythos in any live-action movie or tv show?!

Surely it is one of the most influential sources in contributing to the Cosmic Horror genre; of course we are getting a new video game based on, The Call of Cthlulu soon enough, but what about a movie or tv show? I Imagine there are several factors that may be holding back putting it through production, like a budget for the effects to bring the outer gods and their world to life for one.

Either way, perhaps it's not so easy to adapt Lovecraft's work into live-action, so how about animation? Would anyone be interested in adapting the Yog-Sthoth mythology into an animated movie or short series?! It would probably be cheaper for one, plus it you can build more from it as well.

Not only would it be easier to adapt Lovecraft's work that way, but it would also prove to be another counter argument to the ideology that animation is a genre, one particularly made for children at that; most animated projects tend to be preppy and upbeat with ample light heartedness to go around, but one of the major themes of Lovecraftian Horror is hopelessness, insignificance, or the idea that humanity is in fact both meaningless and unimportant in the grand scheme of things; and in the end we will either be destroyed, consumed, or even enslaved by such otherworldly forces that we have yet to comprehend.

So to adapt Lovecraft's mythos into an animated project, would most certainly be a worthy feat in more ways than one; but suppose we don't really have to do that, partly because there are already works in movies and television be they live-action or animated that are already inspired by Lovecraftian horror and convey the same themes... I guess that might make for a valid argument, then again the Lord of the Rings was adapted after previous films that were already inspired by JRR Tolkien's work, so same could very well be said with HP Lovecraft's work.

Either way, what do you guys think?

Egon1982

What about The Real Ghostbusters? some episodes are Lovecraftian in aspects just like the movies are Lovecraftian in ways.

Or what about Wicked City, Urotsukidoji, Devilman, Vampire Hunter D 1 & 2 etc.?

AnotherRandomGuy

The cat came back, he just couldn't stay away
Sadly in the west horror in general seems to be a lost art in animation.

If I recall right I remember seeing an animated teaser for a Shadow Over Innsmouth movie some years back, but i don't think it went anywhere.

Troy Troodon

There's always a chance! We could use more horror in animation and not just campy comedies, be it for kids or adults; something that really makes people question their own place in existence.

Of course looking back now, yeah HP Lovecraft's fatalism (something which clearly affect him through out his life) is what really makes his stories exceptionally bleak and soul crushing for most people to handle, heck even Alien seems more cheery in comparison.
But who knows, maybe with some just a little positivity through creative liberties, there might be a shot.

Egon1982

There's always a chance! We could use more horror in animation and not just campy comedies, be it for kids or adults; something that really makes people question their own place in existence.

Of course looking back now, yeah HP Lovecraft's fatalism (something which clearly affect him through out his life) is what really makes his stories exceptionally bleak and soul crushing for most people to handle, heck even Alien seems more cheery in comparison.
But who knows, maybe with some just a little positivity through creative liberties, there might be a shot.

What about Wicked City?

ShadowBeast

I know this isn't animation, but there was a recent game that came out on steam that was Lovecraft-inspired called Conarium.

Troy Troodon

I might check that out; anyway it turns out there is a short web series based on At the Mountains of Madness, first three episodes are already up, but the series is still in production.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Hard to believe DiC lasted longer than most Saturday morning studios
Earlier today, my house was on fire. Nearly half of the house was burned down. It's expensive to fix the house thanks to damage. All help appreciated here in this link: Pay Markus Nelis using PayPal.Me
Check out @Zentron 's Art Stuff on The Drawing Board!

Some very cool animated clips and reworkings of Dungeons And Dragons and He-Man and She-Ra scenes. They start in earnest on Page 3

So both movies are tied with 2 votes each. I can't think of which one I like more, so the one with the highest IMDb score moves to the next round. That movie is Scooby Doo Frankencreepy. The next matchup is between Surf's Up and Wish Dragon.
Oh, lord. They're coming back.

Featured Posts