"Marvel Cinematic Universe" News & Discussion, Part 8 (Spoilers)

Frontier

Staff member
Well, in Vol 2, she did look pretty dangerous when she fought Nebula and had that huge cannon on her shoulder...
Honestly I thought Gamora and Neblua's fight in Vol. 2 was pretty underwhelming. At the time I don't think Gunn was very good at directing hand-to-hand or in-depth fight scenes compared to, say, TSS.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Honestly I thought Gamora and Neblua's fight in Vol. 2 was pretty underwhelming. At the time I don't think Gunn was very good at directing hand-to-hand or in-depth fight scenes compared to, say, TSS.
True, and for a solo project, I think it would be more interesting for a different director to handle a Gamora movie/show/special who is versed in fighting scenes. Fine if they consult with Gunn creatively like he did on IW and EG to make sure the "voices" were right.

the greenman

Clickbait and a pointless video unless I forgot Hawke or Scorsese were on the set of every MCU movie filmed, invisible, and observed every second of the director and their interactions with Marvel Studios for them to make the statements they have in the past that this guy is rehashing.
Sorry, but it seems glaringly true now. It's funny cause. WBDC used to be the opposite.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
True, and for a solo project, I think it would be more interesting for a different director to handle a Gamora movie/show/special who is versed in fighting scenes.

Honestly I don't think the issue is the fact that Gunn isn't versed in fight scenes as he can do those quite well (and as shown in The Suicide Squad with female characters as Harley Quinn had an especially cool one in that film) but more that never really fit into the stories he was trying to tell unlike how the comics really got more time to showcase her dangerousness. Though considering the Gamora in Guardians 3 is a variant who saw Thanos die and now apparently leads the Ravagers it's possible she may have severely gone up a combat level to be a bigger threat. Either way though...

Fine if they consult with Gunn creatively like he did on IW and EG to make sure the "voices" were right.

I don't think we're going to see Gunn come back to write for her and the other Guardians. He made it clear Volume 3 is where he ended the series and has made clear he's obviously going to be busy working for DC and developing stuff for them so I doubt he has any time to work on any more Marvel stories going forward.

Sorry, but it seems glaringly true now. It's funny cause. WBDC used to be the opposite.

Look even if you've disliked a majority of Phase 4, you can't act like it's because they didn't have the director's flow and style in it and they simply had the execute the ideas the executives forced them into. Oddly the movie that feels the closest to that in Phase 4 is Spider Man No Way Home mostly for having the least director style but that's due to also focusing on other elements but yeah every other film you can very much feel the thumbprint of who made it right on the film for better or worse.

Frontier

Staff member
Honestly I don't think the issue is the fact that Gunn isn't versed in fight scenes as he can do those quite well (and as shown in The Suicide Squad with female characters as Harley Quinn had an especially cool one in that film) but more that never really fit into the stories he was trying to tell unlike how the comics really got more time to showcase her dangerousness. Though considering the Gamora in Guardians 3 is a variant who saw Thanos die and now apparently leads the Ravagers it's possible she may have severely gone up a combat level to be a bigger threat. Either way though...
I dunno, between the first two GoTG films, it indicated fight scenes (at least more intricate ones with human characters) weren't his strong suit. There's very likely the possibility that he improved on it as a director over time though.

I think it also didn't help that Gamora was functionally just the token girl of the team and had to play that part and everything it entails.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Sure but what I'm saying is a different director/writer for a Gamora solo story could be a boon. Guun's style would be right for a Gamora solo story that we're thinking of. Like imagine a Gamora movie directed by Michael Mann. The tone would be totally different.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
I dunno, between the first two GoTG films, it indicated fight scenes (at least more intricate ones with human characters) weren't his strong suit. There's very likely the possibility that he improved on it as a director over time though.

Granted I don't think he was ever in the Russos league back then with how they (well the full team behind those Captain America sequels anyway since yeah this is all team based) directed fight scenes but they weren't awful either. Though what I feel Gunn liked best in fight scenes were more the gadgets and gun and weapons then actual brawling.

I think it also didn't help that Gamora was functionally just the token girl of the team and had to play that part and everything it entails.

I will say that is more the issue especially since Gamora honestly was always emotionally connected to another character and their story that Gunn or someone else most wanted to tell. Like with Peter Quill and then Nebula especially in the second movie. And then of course Thanos in Infinity War plus yeah as the character who was more the "straight man" of the team who didn't lead themselves as much to jokes or wacky scenarios, it was harder to get her in on some of the fun even in the action scenes. Plus yeah sadly there still is a lot of annoying "i'm the only girl" energy of her needing to be saved or not being allowed to help in the action in those first two movies like Peter needing to talk Drax down from killing her or Rocket knocking her out when she was trying to save Peter from Ego that hopefully won't be in the third movie.

Sure but what I'm saying is a different director/writer for a Gamora solo story could be a boon. Guun's style would be right for a Gamora solo story that we're thinking of. Like imagine a Gamora movie directed by Michael Mann. The tone would be totally different.

Yeah A Michael Mann movie would NOT be something that really works for a MCU film unless it was a totally off the rails one off of their original style and even then it wouldn't be with Gamora. We still have no idea who lives and who dies in the last Guardians story though I will say if Gamora does survive and there is the potential to make more stories out with her I would be fine leaning more in the "universe's most dangerous assassin" direction the comics did. Maybe team her up with Warlock like in the comics as some sort of power team.

I do feel if Gamora did come back and again lived through Guardians 3 it would either be as a quick cameo or yeah you'd have to give her a more starring role. Like this whole discussion was brought about talking about how Zoe Saldana's frustrations with the role and though feeling it was a great experience also reflecting poorly on the hours of make up and training and what not. So she would have to have a reason to really come back again so giving her a starring focus would probably be that especially approaching avenues of the character not quite explored as well before.

Frontier

Staff member
Granted I don't think he was ever in the Russos league back then with how they (well the full team behind those Captain America sequels anyway since yeah this is all team based) directed fight scenes but they weren't awful either. Though what I feel Gunn liked best in fight scenes were more the gadgets and gun and weapons then actual brawling.
Maybe not awful, but not memorable either.

He could get very creative with them at times, but I wouldn't put any of the fights in GoTG as the best in the MCU. Which sucks because the team is usually much more powerful (and competent) than they're depicted in the movies.
I will say that is more the issue especially since Gamora honestly was always emotionally connected to another character and their story that Gunn or someone else most wanted to tell. Like with Peter Quill and then Nebula especially in the second movie. And then of course Thanos in Infinity War plus yeah as the character who was more the "straight man" of the team who didn't lead themselves as much to jokes or wacky scenarios, it was harder to get her in on some of the fun even in the action scenes. Plus yeah sadly there still is a lot of annoying "i'm the only girl" energy of her needing to be saved or not being allowed to help in the action in those first two movies like Peter needing to talk Drax down from killing her or Rocket knocking her out when she was trying to save Peter from Ego that hopefully won't be in the third movie.
It's funny to think Nebula on the team might be more like comic Gamora than MCU Gamora was :p.

the greenman

Chris Hemsworth hints when Thor next appears, he wants to reinvent the character yet again (i.e. played Thor one way in Thor and Dark World, another way in IW and EG, another way in Ragnarok and Love and Thunder)
How many times can they keep reinventing Thor? I'm just asking for some consistency here :sweat:.
Yeah, I remember C. Evans was asking Russo Bros. about consistency. They simply leaned into Hemsworth doing his comedic version. A little too much at this point.

the greenman

Turns out if they wanted to, Disney cannot make a solo Namor movie yet. There were also marketing restrictions, too, as he could only appear with a group of characters and never alone. Guess the rights are still a bit tangled.
Geez. Oh wells.
Hopefully, the distribution rights to the Incredible Hulk and Namor the Sub-Mariner will go back to Marvel Studios/Disney after June 2023.
I feel like Hulk might be a lot sooner than Namor.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

writtenbyianmaxtonegraham.jpg

"Why do jerks think everyone wants to see their stupid name?"

Oh boy, this is going to be a rough episode... And we've barely even reached the main plot. Oof, more like a rough season. I hope I get through this pain quickly.
I've just read the real reason they killed off Maude Flanders... Wow. I thought The Simpsons couldn't go any lower, but this is a new level of appalling. South Park has been spiteful before, even towards the audience, but it's rarely towards their own staff.
FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT: Please stop getting information from 4chan! It’s become a cesspool for leaked material that is heavy on spoilers!
By the way, why exactly Cartoon Network ignores the existence of the Powerpuff Girls anime titled "Powerpuff Girls Z"?
Alright, I have started watching the certain Powerpuff Girls anime in Japanese. With English subtitles. That's better.

Featured Posts