"Marvel Cinematic Universe" News & Discussion, Part 8 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frontier

Staff member
Well, in Vol 2, she did look pretty dangerous when she fought Nebula and had that huge cannon on her shoulder...
Honestly I thought Gamora and Neblua's fight in Vol. 2 was pretty underwhelming. At the time I don't think Gunn was very good at directing hand-to-hand or in-depth fight scenes compared to, say, TSS.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Honestly I thought Gamora and Neblua's fight in Vol. 2 was pretty underwhelming. At the time I don't think Gunn was very good at directing hand-to-hand or in-depth fight scenes compared to, say, TSS.
True, and for a solo project, I think it would be more interesting for a different director to handle a Gamora movie/show/special who is versed in fighting scenes. Fine if they consult with Gunn creatively like he did on IW and EG to make sure the "voices" were right.

the greenman

Clickbait and a pointless video unless I forgot Hawke or Scorsese were on the set of every MCU movie filmed, invisible, and observed every second of the director and their interactions with Marvel Studios for them to make the statements they have in the past that this guy is rehashing.
Sorry, but it seems glaringly true now. It's funny cause. WBDC used to be the opposite.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
True, and for a solo project, I think it would be more interesting for a different director to handle a Gamora movie/show/special who is versed in fighting scenes.

Honestly I don't think the issue is the fact that Gunn isn't versed in fight scenes as he can do those quite well (and as shown in The Suicide Squad with female characters as Harley Quinn had an especially cool one in that film) but more that never really fit into the stories he was trying to tell unlike how the comics really got more time to showcase her dangerousness. Though considering the Gamora in Guardians 3 is a variant who saw Thanos die and now apparently leads the Ravagers it's possible she may have severely gone up a combat level to be a bigger threat. Either way though...

Fine if they consult with Gunn creatively like he did on IW and EG to make sure the "voices" were right.

I don't think we're going to see Gunn come back to write for her and the other Guardians. He made it clear Volume 3 is where he ended the series and has made clear he's obviously going to be busy working for DC and developing stuff for them so I doubt he has any time to work on any more Marvel stories going forward.

Sorry, but it seems glaringly true now. It's funny cause. WBDC used to be the opposite.

Look even if you've disliked a majority of Phase 4, you can't act like it's because they didn't have the director's flow and style in it and they simply had the execute the ideas the executives forced them into. Oddly the movie that feels the closest to that in Phase 4 is Spider Man No Way Home mostly for having the least director style but that's due to also focusing on other elements but yeah every other film you can very much feel the thumbprint of who made it right on the film for better or worse.

Frontier

Staff member
Honestly I don't think the issue is the fact that Gunn isn't versed in fight scenes as he can do those quite well (and as shown in The Suicide Squad with female characters as Harley Quinn had an especially cool one in that film) but more that never really fit into the stories he was trying to tell unlike how the comics really got more time to showcase her dangerousness. Though considering the Gamora in Guardians 3 is a variant who saw Thanos die and now apparently leads the Ravagers it's possible she may have severely gone up a combat level to be a bigger threat. Either way though...
I dunno, between the first two GoTG films, it indicated fight scenes (at least more intricate ones with human characters) weren't his strong suit. There's very likely the possibility that he improved on it as a director over time though.

I think it also didn't help that Gamora was functionally just the token girl of the team and had to play that part and everything it entails.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Sure but what I'm saying is a different director/writer for a Gamora solo story could be a boon. Guun's style would be right for a Gamora solo story that we're thinking of. Like imagine a Gamora movie directed by Michael Mann. The tone would be totally different.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
I dunno, between the first two GoTG films, it indicated fight scenes (at least more intricate ones with human characters) weren't his strong suit. There's very likely the possibility that he improved on it as a director over time though.

Granted I don't think he was ever in the Russos league back then with how they (well the full team behind those Captain America sequels anyway since yeah this is all team based) directed fight scenes but they weren't awful either. Though what I feel Gunn liked best in fight scenes were more the gadgets and gun and weapons then actual brawling.

I think it also didn't help that Gamora was functionally just the token girl of the team and had to play that part and everything it entails.

I will say that is more the issue especially since Gamora honestly was always emotionally connected to another character and their story that Gunn or someone else most wanted to tell. Like with Peter Quill and then Nebula especially in the second movie. And then of course Thanos in Infinity War plus yeah as the character who was more the "straight man" of the team who didn't lead themselves as much to jokes or wacky scenarios, it was harder to get her in on some of the fun even in the action scenes. Plus yeah sadly there still is a lot of annoying "i'm the only girl" energy of her needing to be saved or not being allowed to help in the action in those first two movies like Peter needing to talk Drax down from killing her or Rocket knocking her out when she was trying to save Peter from Ego that hopefully won't be in the third movie.

Sure but what I'm saying is a different director/writer for a Gamora solo story could be a boon. Guun's style would be right for a Gamora solo story that we're thinking of. Like imagine a Gamora movie directed by Michael Mann. The tone would be totally different.

Yeah A Michael Mann movie would NOT be something that really works for a MCU film unless it was a totally off the rails one off of their original style and even then it wouldn't be with Gamora. We still have no idea who lives and who dies in the last Guardians story though I will say if Gamora does survive and there is the potential to make more stories out with her I would be fine leaning more in the "universe's most dangerous assassin" direction the comics did. Maybe team her up with Warlock like in the comics as some sort of power team.

I do feel if Gamora did come back and again lived through Guardians 3 it would either be as a quick cameo or yeah you'd have to give her a more starring role. Like this whole discussion was brought about talking about how Zoe Saldana's frustrations with the role and though feeling it was a great experience also reflecting poorly on the hours of make up and training and what not. So she would have to have a reason to really come back again so giving her a starring focus would probably be that especially approaching avenues of the character not quite explored as well before.

Frontier

Staff member
Granted I don't think he was ever in the Russos league back then with how they (well the full team behind those Captain America sequels anyway since yeah this is all team based) directed fight scenes but they weren't awful either. Though what I feel Gunn liked best in fight scenes were more the gadgets and gun and weapons then actual brawling.
Maybe not awful, but not memorable either.

He could get very creative with them at times, but I wouldn't put any of the fights in GoTG as the best in the MCU. Which sucks because the team is usually much more powerful (and competent) than they're depicted in the movies.
I will say that is more the issue especially since Gamora honestly was always emotionally connected to another character and their story that Gunn or someone else most wanted to tell. Like with Peter Quill and then Nebula especially in the second movie. And then of course Thanos in Infinity War plus yeah as the character who was more the "straight man" of the team who didn't lead themselves as much to jokes or wacky scenarios, it was harder to get her in on some of the fun even in the action scenes. Plus yeah sadly there still is a lot of annoying "i'm the only girl" energy of her needing to be saved or not being allowed to help in the action in those first two movies like Peter needing to talk Drax down from killing her or Rocket knocking her out when she was trying to save Peter from Ego that hopefully won't be in the third movie.
It's funny to think Nebula on the team might be more like comic Gamora than MCU Gamora was :p.

the greenman

Chris Hemsworth hints when Thor next appears, he wants to reinvent the character yet again (i.e. played Thor one way in Thor and Dark World, another way in IW and EG, another way in Ragnarok and Love and Thunder)
How many times can they keep reinventing Thor? I'm just asking for some consistency here :sweat:.
Yeah, I remember C. Evans was asking Russo Bros. about consistency. They simply leaned into Hemsworth doing his comedic version. A little too much at this point.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Some new dates were announced.

Deadpool 3 - May 3, 2024
Captain America: Brave New World - July 26, 2024
Thunderbolts - December 20, 2024
Blade - February 14, 2025
Fantastic Four - May 2, 2025
Avengers: The Kang Dynasty - May 1, 2026
Avengers: Secret Wars - May 7, 2027

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
2/7/23: Broussard confirms there are already thinking of a fourth Ant-Man movie.

2/8: Feige confirms Phase 5 and 6 will also have stand alone films like Eternals or Shang-Chi.

2/9: John Leguizamo was almost the Vulture.

2/14: Interview with Feige.

2/19: Broussard states RDJ's Iron Man returning is "no longer on the table."

So it's still on the table. :p j/k

2/22: Wave (Pearl Pangan) reportedly will appear in a project soon.

M.O.D.O.K. will allegedly appear again.

2/23: Steven Yuen joins the Thunderbolts cast and it's major one for Phase 5 and the MCU.

2/24: When asked at a con what storyline she'd want to explore, Elizabeth Olsen was mum.

3/2: Wall Street analyst thinks Disney buy Comcast's Hulu stake in a package deal to have full rights for Hulk and Namor at long last.

3/4: During an AMA, Keanu Reeves admits he regrets turning down Wolverine.

3/7: Allegedly, Phase 5 to 7 now looks like so:

Phase 5

-Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumainia

-Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

-Secret Invasion (ETA May 17 - June 21 2023)

-Loki season 2 (ETA July 26 - August 30 2023)

-Echo (ETA October 2023)

-Mephisto (Special Presentation, ETA Halloween 2023)

-The Marvels

-Sentry (Special Presentation, ETA Holidays 2023).

-Ironheart (ETA Early 2024)

-Daredevil: Born Again (ETA Spring 2024)

-Captain America: New World Order

-I Am Groot (ETA Mid-2024)

-Thunderbolts

-Deadpool 3 (ETA September 6 2024)

-Wonder Man (ETA Fall 2024)

-Man-Thing (Special Presentation, Halloween 2024)

Phase 6,

-Blade (ETA November 8 2024)

-Silver Surfer (Special Presentation, ETA Holiday 2024)

-Agatha: Coven of Chaos (ETA Late 2024/Early 2025)

-Fantastic Four

-Vision Quest (ETA Spring 2025)

-Armor Wars (ETA May 2 2025)

-What If...? Season 2 (ETA Mid 2025)

-Young Avengers (ETA July 25 2025)

-Midnight Angels (TV Series, ETA Fall 2025)

-Ghost Rider (Special Presentation, ETA Halloween 2025),

-Zombies (ETA October 2025)

-Shang-Chi 2 (ETA November 7 2025)

-Nova (Special Presentation, ETA Holiday 2025)

-Spider-Man 4 (ETA December 19 2025)

-Strange Academy (TV Series, ETA Late 2025/Early 2026)

-Doctor Strange 3 (ETA February 13 2026)

-Ms. Marvel season 2 (ETA Spring 2026)

-Avengers: The Kang Dynasty (ETA May 1 2026)

Phase 7 is said to be part of the "Battleworld Saga"

-Moon Knight Season 2 (ETA Mid-2026)

-Midnight Suns (ETA July 24 2026)

-She-Hulk season 2 (ETA Fall 2026)

-an Untitled Halloween Special

-World War Hulk (ETA November 6 2026)

-Untitled Holiday Special

-What If...? Season 3 (ETA Early 2027)

-Eternals 2 (ETA February 12 2027)

-Illuminati (TV Show, ETA Spring 2027)

-Avengers: Secret Wars (ETA May 7th 2027/2028)

-Avengers: Forever may also be released in 2027/2028, ending this period of storytelling and serving as a final farewell to the main Infinity Saga characters.

There are also rumored projects starring Scarlet Witch, Namor, Monica Rambeau, and Deadpool being considered. There is also an alleged Nomad TV series starring Chris Evans and Scarlett Johannson.

3/9: Comments from Iger at a Morgan Stanley conference imply we could be seeing less Part 3 and 4s.

3/11: Apparently, there are plans for Krysten Ritter/Jessica Jones for the movies.

We've heard some Hulking rumors but allegedly Iron Lad is coming up soon, too.

3/15: Michael Waldron renewed his deal with Marvel Studios.

3/20: Victoria Alonso has left Marvel Studios.

3/22: Now reports Alsono was fired by Disney and she was blindsided.

Insider claims Squadron Supreme are from a dimension destroyed during the Loki series, will debut as enemies led by Kang, and debut in Phase 6.

3/24: Alonso's firing is about a breach of contract regarding her Argentina 1985 documentary and not being allowed to comment on Disney's stance on Florida's "Parental Rights in Education" bill. Her contract was re-drafted out of respect for all her years with Marvel Studios for Argentina 1985 to be an exception to a rule that she was not allowed to work for any other studio. She was asked not to promote the doc. She promoted the doc. It is believed the days she took off, some which were to produce the doc, contributed to big VFX delays at Marvel Studios. She is now suing for wrongful termination. But her lawyer suggests Argentina 1985 had no role in her firing.

3/28: It seems a disagreement about censoring a Pride image for a Kuwati version of Quantumania played into Alonso's firing.

4/1: Reportedly, Lilith has been secretly cast and will in some projects already announced and some not officially confirmed yet.

4/11: Paul Adelstein is in Atlanta for a MCU project.

4/12: Insider claims Shang-Chi's rings and Kamala's bracelet contain Adamantium.

4/15: Insider claims there will be a third Captain Marvel movie and Carol will be solo.

4/16: Insider claims Keanu Reeves and Norman Reedus have been offered Ghost Rider.

4/20: Alonso and Marvel reportedly came to a settlement in the multi-millions for the former.

4/21: Scarlet Johansson states she is done and not reprising her role.

5/6: Gunn confirms he's had conversations with Marvel Studios about their plans for the Guardians post-Vol. 3.

5/10: Insider warns not to expect Dr. Doom to appear in the Multiverse Saga.

5/13: Feige reveals Clive Owen was the top choice for Iron Man but he wasn't interested.

Insider claims Anthony Starr will have a role.

5/17: Kurt Angle reveals he's tried to get a role in the MCU a couple times.

5/28: Insider claims Feige stills has plans to introduce the Inhumans.

6/10: Rumor is the follow up to Captain America: Brave New World is World War Hulk.

6/13: Johansson says the untitled project she's producing on was in the middle of development then placed on hold with the strike.

Several movies were moved

-Deadpool 3 moved from November 8, 2023 to May 3, 2024

-Captain America: Brave New World moved to August 26, 2024

-Thunderbolts moved to December 20, 2024

-Blade moved to February 14, 2025

-Fantastic Four moved to May 2, 2025

-Kang Dynasty moved to May 1, 2026

-Secret Wars moved to May 7, 2027

Removes July 25 and November 7, 2025 from schedule.

6/15: The arrival of The Incredible Hulk on Disney+ on Friday are adding to some claims full rights have reverted from Universal to Disney/Marvel Studios. Variety also reports it.

6/20: Marvel Studios is skipping a SDCC panel but will still have a presence on the floor.

6/28: SLJ tells an anecdote from the Oscars when Julia Louis-Dreyfuss kept poking him and teasing "We're gonna fight."

7/4: Cumberbatch hints he will be filming a MCU project next year.

7/7: Gunn teases his and Pratt's idea for a Legendary Star-Lord project – Peter trying to adjust to life on Earth.

The Watcher rumored to appear in a project this year and it doesn't seem to be What If season 2.

7/10: Midnight Sons is reportedly in development with producer Stephen Broussard.

Gunn reveals the origin story of Rocket and Groot.

7/12: Anson Mount confirms he's had some informal talks about Black Bolt but nothing is set in stone yet.

7/19: Kathryn Newton tried out for Kate Bishop.

8/2: A Daughters of Liberty project was in early development/or just an idea some time before the strikes.

8/3: Adam Brody confirms he tried out for Star-Lord.

Leterrier reveals the scrapped Incredible Hulk sequel had Grey Hulk and Red Hulks in it.

8/7: VFX crews have voted to unionize.

8/13: Insider claims Marvel Studios still has plans to use Tom Cruise as Superior Iron Man in a future Multiverse project.

A Scarlet Witch movie reportedly still in the works.

8/19: Thor 5 reportedly in development.

8/20: A Ghost Rider solo project was in the works before the strikes and will continue development after.

Insider claims the plan is for Blade and Ghost Rider to have solo movies each; Werewolf By Night, Man Thing, and Elsa Bloodstone to have their own Special Presentations, and it all culminates in a Midnight Suns movie. Other horror characters will appear in other projects to round out the team. Some put on hold pre-strikes.

8/24: Insider hints Nicholas Cage will reprise Ghost Rider.

9/1: In response to Paltrow's latest coy actor remark, an insider claims there already is a plan in place for Pepper's return.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Despite the tepid reception, I actually enjoyed seeing Argylle in the cinema.
Shania Twain > Taylor Swift. That is all.
I wish the internet would quit pushing sites like Temu and Shein onto me. I can't stand them, for numerous reasons.
I almost forgot to mention, but I'm doing another Media Brackets competition

X-Men '97 is good so far, but don't forget that angst does not automatically equal depth. Just adding swears and piling on cheap tragedies doesn't instantly make your work deep or mature.

Featured Posts