"Marvel on Disney+" Pre-Release News & Discussion, Part 6 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member

the greenman

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I would only want it connected to FF.
Well, despite ancient history with Perlmutter and the ABC series, we saw a variant of one of them reprised by the lead actor in said series appear in a movie that just came out. So one hand, acknowledgement. On the other hand, so many factors. Real world, they got the X-Men coming out in the next couple years and just introduced Eternals. And Inhumans' class system with a class of slaves would be controversial so the story would have to be done right.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Well, despite ancient history with Perlmutter and the ABC series, we saw a variant of one of them reprised by the lead actor in said series appear in a movie that just came out. So one hand, acknowledgement. On the other hand, so many factors. Real world, they got the X-Men coming out in the next couple years and just introduced Eternals. And Inhumans' class system with a class of slaves would be controversial so the story would have to be done right.
They need to omit that part of the story altogether. That's why the TV show sucked, if you ask me.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I am actually not happy with either of those pieces of news.
I don't think it will get dark like you're thinking. Pretty sure what we saw in the trailer will be the extent of it. Kamala being attacked by Damage Control and fighting that mystery group. I'm curious what "stakes" there are unless the bangle has some greater purpose.

They need to omit that part of the story altogether. That's why the TV show sucked, if you ask me.
Yes, it was difficult to root for an ousted monarchy that preserved the existence of a slave class and institutionalized racism i.e. the genetic council...

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I don't think it will get dark like you're thinking. Pretty sure what we saw in the trailer will be the extent of it. Kamala being attacked by Damage Control and fighting that mystery group. I'm curious what "stakes" there are unless the bangle has some greater purpose.
I have no idea what was in the trailer. I don't tend to watch them. I like seeing things fresh.
Yes, it was difficult to root for an ousted monarchy that preserved the existence of a slave class and institutionalized racism i.e. the genetic council...
It was actually impossible to root for them. How messed is the concept that the "bad guy" was actually right? The fact that he was murderous and evil too WHILE being right is another one of the hundreds of things that series did wrong.

I think Inhumans is a sucky premise. There, I said it. If producers try to make it close to the comics, it will suck because the premise itself does. They need to majorly overhaul it for the next screen adaptation.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I think Inhumans is a sucky premise. There, I said it. If producers try to make it close to the comics, it will suck because the premise itself does. They need to majorly overhaul it for the next screen adaptation.
Yeah, from what I remember that was part of the problem. The show stuck too close to the comics, Jenkins' run from the 2010s in particular with Maximus using the slave class and the chasm between those that have powers and those that don't, and tried to generalize it but that made it worse in a way. Marvel Studios has a preeeettty good track record of not slavishly sticking to the comics and doing well because of it so I think in theory it would be in way better hands with Feige. I just don't see a real need for them in the next couple years. I'm more looking forward to see what he does with the Fantastic Four, mutants, and Blade.

Frontier

Staff member
I think that was pretty much a given :).
I just want her to fight a giant bird man...
Yeah, from what I remember that was part of the problem. The show stuck too close to the comics, Jenkins' run from the 2010s in particular with Maximus using the slave class and the chasm between those that have powers and those that don't, and tried to generalize it but that made it worse in a way. Marvel Studios has a preeeettty good track record of not slavishly sticking to the comics and doing well because of it so I think in theory it would be in way better hands with Feige. I just don't see a real need for them in the next couple years. I'm more looking forward to see what he does with the Fantastic Four, mutants, and Blade.
The execution probably didn't help at all either.

I know the recent comics tried to make the Inhumans more...typically Superheroic but it always felt like they were trying to spin them too much like the X-Men.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
I know the recent comics tried to make the Inhumans more...typically Superheroic but it always felt like they were trying to spin them too much like the X-Men.

Well that's because for awhile they were attempting to try and make the Inhumans the new X-Men. See the former person in charge of Marvel the horrible Ike Perlmutter had a particular love for the Inhumans and wanted them to replace the X-Men not only for enjoying a property most of the rest of the top brass at Marvel didn't care for, but because the Inhumans unlike the X-Men weren't tied to FOX. Like remember years back that due to having the film rights of the mutants, he and enough of the Marvel board decided to try and spin the mutants off into mostly their own things even in the comics and make the Inhumans a lot more prominent. Honestly the ONLY lasting significance of that decision was Kamala Kahn as most of the other Inhumans prominence was vastly depleted even in the comics over time and now with Marvel having full rights to the X-Men and mutants on the table and Perlmutter gone there's little reason to use them.

I also want to point out quickly a reason that the Inhumans concept is when separated from a lot of the rest of the universe paint them out to be more villainous or horrible people it's because... well they actually did start out as villains. Like yeah the Inhumans for awhile were baddies and though did reform they were still for decades mostly supporting players not given like starring roles in series but as concepts that played off of other characters like the Fantastic Four and never until the 2010's got a push for a lot of their own solo titles. Thus yeah it didn't matter for ages that they weren't overall that likeable or interesting because they were meant to counter point off other characters and stories not specifically be their own thing. It's also clear the people behind making the shows didn't grasp that fact in the adaptation and didn't recognize the problematic elements in good enough ways. Ryan Coogler was able to realize some of the issues with Wakanda for his treatment of the first Black Panther thus why BP is such a beloved flick but yeah that never happened with Inhumans.

And to be a bit more on topic...

I totally keep forgetting that Eugence Cordero is Rutherford in Star Trek lower Decks which is where I recognize his voice. I also guess this means there will probably still be a lot of the TVA in season 2 even if it's an alternate one. I do hope now that there is a multi verse there are a lot more different rules these guys have to go by now without a specific singular timeline and there's more variant with the variants and what not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.

Featured Posts