"Masters of the Universe: Revelation" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss this series!

• Total voters

flaboyblast

Wikipedia claimed that is sequel and I have no opinion about source from wikipedia.

1627312503676.png

This is from Netflix themselves.

Reactions: Moe

Moe

Sinse Netflix said it themselves, does the show it self even prove it?.
It would be member’s opinion.

I watched this show and yes, I can tell that they are sequel to original, in my opinion.

The Cartoon

Blast From the Past
Walking in as someone who had never seen the original series, I just watched the first episode with my brother and we thought it was awesome. I'm kind of grateful that I don't have the reference point, because I was able to enjoy the impressive animation and shocking Episode 1 ending without any nostalgia to impact my opinion.

Freddy

I don't know why people always go on about nostalgia.
It just wasn't good writing.

You made your point, no need to get salty over every single positive comment posted here, unless you have something new to add to the discussion.

Last Spider

Arachnid Dude
You made your point, no need to get salty over every single positive comment posted here, unless you have something new to add to the discussion.
If you wanna go that route what exactly are you adding here besides sniping?
I simply made a comment that I disagree with the idea the negative reaction is solely from nostalgia, but here you are not really saying anything relevant at all.

Freddy

If you wanna go that route what exactly are you adding here besides sniping?
I simply made a comment that I disagree with the idea the negative reaction is solely from nostalgia, but here you are not really saying anything relevant at all.

You make that point once and then move on, unless you have something new to add, not just repeat it.

I'm just giving you a hint. Obviously I'm not one of the mods, so I have no actual authority to say when someone is or isn't behaving themselves in terms of forum rules, but I think we all want to have appropriate behavior and discussion here from everyone.

Last Spider

Arachnid Dude
You make that point once and then move on, unless you have something new to add, not just repeat it.

I'm just giving you a hint. Obviously I'm not one of the mods, so I have no actual authority to say when someone is or isn't behaving themselves in terms of forum rules, but I think we all want to have appropriate behavior and discussion here from everyone.
I don't recall where I said before that it's not nostalgia that's responsible for the negative reaction.
So once again you're the one who's not adding anything here.

IDistractedYou

Perky Prince of Painful Puns
Alright so I was big into He-Man as a kid. Read all the mini-comics, had all the toys, save for the original plain old Skeletor, etc. I mean my Mum has a picture of me with Eternia on Christmas morning in a frame somewhere. I devoured He-Man and She-Ra both. I watched the 2002 reboot at least first season when it came out then well I was in my 20s and life, work, etc. But I digress.

So I was excited when the series was first announced. I tend to avoid spoilers for shows I want to watch so really the only things beyond the 2 trailers I saw were the initial blurb and a synopsis on a random website of; "After the final Battle between Skeletor and He-Man Teela is searching for He-Man and answers." That being said this half of the series is pretty much what I was expecting.

I won't break it down episode by episode as I watched all 5 back to back so my perception of which ep is which may be blurred. So if you don't want spoilers for the whole of part 1 please skip.

The animation is gorgeous though the CGI sometimes took me out of it. The character designs for Teela I know there was much to do about Teela being too muscular, etc. (Despite her being Captain of the Guard) in motion rather than a still image looks fine and honestly fit the scale of the other non He-Man characters. She is more muscular/toned than new addition Andra, who is more of an engineer/tech warrior but not as ripped as Beast Man. Character design wise most characters are smaller in build than He-Man himself. That being said the He-Man transformation itself is glorious. Given what Powerhouse has done with Castlevania I am excited for battles in the 2nd half.

There are a TON of Easter Eggs mostly related to the toys themselves but also callbacks to old episodes of the Filmation series. From "smells like pine" to the presence of Blast Attack and his ahem action feature. Motherboard being Screech, the shaping staff, etc.

Plot bearing in mind this is only half of the story I enjoyed it. It's not high art but it is a fun ride and let's be honest isn't that all most of us expected? There are some unexpected twists and turns and the voice cast is excellent and does well. King Randor being dense and Queen Marlena being aware of He-Man's secret is a nice call back as well as true to life for family secrets, mothers usually know. Teela's anger and pain is very justified in this instance given her line about the Royal Family making her feel like family. The Power Sword being split is a nice reference to the original toyline idea being that Skeletor had one half and He-Man the other.

I fully second the magic vs tech debate is an interesting one I would like to see explored more and holy hell makes for some body horror. I would hope it is explored more but given there are only 5 remaining episodes I doubt it. I am enjoying Duncan being portrayed as the battle hardened warrior he is. The Orko/Oracle reveal was nice and glad he got his moment to shine. The fear episode as a whole was a bit heavy handed but most episodes like that are.

Adam choosing his "lesser form" in Preternia is telling and I feel they are going for a Billy Batson/Shazam vibe. Shazam may be the muscle but it's Billy's heart that drives it and I feel that was the point they are making with Adam. I did like that Evil-Lyn was completely in the dark regarding Skeletor's "plan" and I am not sure her return is legitimate. I will not be surprised if there if a turn before series end. It's totally in her character. Hell of a cliffhanger but I feel it will be resolved fairly quickly. Overall I enjoyed it and am looking forward to the 2nd half.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
New episodes premiere today!

Masters of the Universe: Revelation, Part 2
Debut - November 23, 2021 (on Netflix)

Comments?

khuddle

So I just finished watching Part 1 (first 5 episodes).
What I liked:
+ Teela's new appearance and confident swagger (yes, I'm partial to female bodybuilders :))
Ditto for Evil-Lyn (and apparently she gets even bigger in Part 2!).
+ I liked the story, to a degree: Teela and her friends trying to survive in an Eternia without He-Man and with all the magic gone. Sworn enemies Teela and Evil-Lyn forced to team up, along with Orko, Beast-Man, Roboto, and Man-At-Arms. And of course the Skeletor twist at the end.
+ Voice acting was great. Stand-outs were Mark Hamill as Skeletor and Lena Heady as Evil-Lyn. Nice to see the great Susan Eisenberg (Wonder Woman) return as the voice of the Sorceress.
+ Sound-track was great.
What I neither liked nor disliked:
+/= Animation was by the same studio that did the Castlevania series. It wasn't bad, I just felt the series would have better served by another studio. This studio does "fantasy-horror" (like Castlevania) brilliantly, but for straight up fantasy would have preferred another studio.
What I disliked:
- The story felt very flimsy. This post-He-Man version of Eternia was not sufficiently fleshed out. For example, Cyclops and Trapjaw and the weird cult they had put together. What was that all about? It wasn't properly explained. Who was the undead-sorceror that confronted Teela in the Land of the Dead? Was that Evil-Lyn's sorceror dad? Again not sufficiently explained. All in all, just not enough world building.

I'd give it a 6 out of 10. Not all bad, but judging from the internet's frenzied reaction, I was expecting a radical departure from the old story, but there was really nothing radical about it, other than Teela's eccentric new haircut and bulging muscles. Hoping Part 2 is a little more interesting.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts