"Masters of the Universe: Revelation" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss this series!

• Total voters

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
I almost forgot how divisive this show is. :p

I genuinely believe that this is one of the best American action cartoons of the last decade. Whether that is praise for the show, or a scalding rebuke of the competition, I leave for you guys to decide. ;)

The Overlord

Nice putting words in my mouth, funny how that's a typical thing with people who defend this series.
But no liking Revelations as awful as it is, isn't insulting the people who worked on the original series, what's insulting is flat out degrading the original series just to make this look better.
I'd really like an explanation how people flat out degrading and deriding the original series just to say Revelations better and fans of the original shouldn't be upset or dislike it, can't be taken as an insult to those who made the original.

Then what are you saying, what is your actual criticism of this show besides it being different from the Flimation series?

It's not like the Flimation series was the original source material, that would be the mini comics, which was changed to suit Flimation's needs.

Again Masters of the Universe was a franchise made up on the fly to sell toys. I like it because I like Sword and Planet type stories, but there is no original lore that is some sort of holy text that has to be followed to the letter.

Frontier

Staff member
I think it has a pretty cool lore and characters by the standards of an 80's show, but I always come at it with the 2002 update as a frame of reference.

Last Spider

Arachnid Dude
Then what are you saying, what is your actual criticism of this show besides it being different from the Flimation series?
I fail to see the point in that, you'll just make excuses for anything I say, in addition there's already far too many to even list.
But I'll list the the main things then, sidelining Adam, making Teela the main character in addition to making her one of the most uninteresting and unlikable characters in the show, making Skeletor's main motivation just be to get laid, and then just about everything involving Evil Lyn in part 2.

It's not like the Flimation series was the original source material, that would be the mini comics, which was changed to suit Flimation's needs.
That's so irrelevant to this it's almost funny.
If I need to explain the difference the main one is the simple fact the Filmation series never claimed to be a sequel to the comics, so it didn't have to use the same material, whereas this show calls itself a sequel to the Flimation series, and it was constantly said the point was to resolve plot lines from it.
Again Masters of the Universe was a franchise made up on the fly to sell toys. I like it because I like Sword and Planet type stories, but there is no original lore that is some sort of holy text that has to be followed to the letter.
By this point it's becoming increasingly clear you don't know what a sequel is.
Or if you do you're just making excuses for the sequel to not be consistent with the work it's supposed to follow up on

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Once again putting words in my mouth since that's not what I said.
But you did say that in one of your previous posts, didn't you?
Literally just proved my point, and it is nothing but disrespectful to the people who worked on the original series too.
I just want to know if there's someone from the original series who said that Revelation is disrespectful to their work on the show, okay.

I really don't want your next response being like "it's so irrelevant that it's almost funny", "once again, you're putting words into my mouth", "by this point you clearly don't know what a sequel is", "you're just making excuses for anything I say", "I fail to see your point in that" etc as once again, I just want an honest response from you to give an example of someone from the original series saying that Revelation is a disgrace to their work, not that kind of response as I mentioned above.

Last edited:

Last Spider

Arachnid Dude
But you did say that in one of your previous posts, didn't you?
No, I said degrading and deriding the Filmation series is insulting the people who worked on it, and the post you're trying to use as evidence of me saying different is a response to a post that does just that.
Not only that, but it wasn't a very good show to begin -- it was just a vehicle to sell toys. We're not taking about Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones here.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
No, I said degrading and deriding the Filmation series is insulting the people who worked on it, and the post you're trying to use as evidence of me saying different is a response to a post that does just that.
Well, I wouldn't say that at all as in telling someone that their opinion on that the original wasn't that good to begin with is coming off as insulting those who worked on the original since that's more coming off as telling them that their opinion is wrong as I would rather respect their opinion instead, so honestly I'm moving on because I want no part of this debate anymore and I think it would be better to continue this via PM instead.

Last edited:

khuddle

I almost forgot how divisive this show is. :p

This has got to be the most divisive show since "The Last Jedi". The back and forth on both sides is incredible.

Which is amazing to me, because, as i will state AGAIN, the original 80s He-Man JUST. WASN'T. THAT. GOOD. Even compared to its contemporaries like Thundercats, GI Joe and Transformers, 80s He-Man just didn't fare well.

I can understand fans getting riled up over "The Last Jedi", because the original Star Wars is a revered franchise (and deservedly so). But He-Man?

As others in my camp would argue, Revelation has pushed this franchise forward. It is at least now, if nothing else, a tad more interesting.

Last Spider

Arachnid Dude
Well, I wouldn't say that at all as in telling someone that their opinion on that the original wasn't that good to begin with is coming off as insulting those who worked on the original since that's more coming off as telling them that their opinion is wrong as I would rather respect their opinion instead, so honestly I'm moving on because I want no part of this debate anymore and I think it would be better to continue this via PM instead.
I'd like an explanation on how insulting the Filmation series and its fans is supposed to be anything other than an insult who made it.
Essentially saying their work isn't something people should be passionate or feel strongly about.
Which is amazing to me, because, as i will state AGAIN, the original 80s He-Man JUST. WASN'T. THAT. GOOD.
Once again proving my point, saying people can't like the Filmation series or feel strongly because you in specifics didn't like it.
As others in my camp would argue, Revelation has pushed this franchise forward. It is at least now, if nothing else, a tad more interesting.
Seeing how the only parts of Revelation that are actually good are just the parts of He-Man fighting I fail to see what's made more interesting.
If anything it's a step back.

Dragnatek

I enjoy the 80's He-man in the same way I enjoy the 60s Batman show. As pure cheese that takes itself too seriously and not seriously enough at the same time. The animation is bad even for an eighties cartoon, the writing was clearly being held back by the people in charge, the voice acting was hokey and that is what I loved about it. It is bad and might even know it.

Now I think Revelation is better. I can gush over revelation all day. While it is not perfect, nothing is I just love almost everything about it. I will die on this hill, the hill that this miniseries was a masterpiece. And I will argue that it is a perfect representation of the franchise. A love letter.

If you disagree with me, that is your opinion and I will accept that. After all there are things I hate that others love, like Zack Snyder's take on DC comics.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
Was I too sheltered getting into this franchise through the 2002 cartoon? Because that's my only frame of reference versus Revelations...

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Was I too sheltered getting into this franchise through the 2002 cartoon? Because that's my only frame of reference versus Revelations...
Did that show get reruns after it ended or air on any of the broadcast Saturday morning tv blocks? I only discovered there was a 200X He-Man toon because I managed to catch an episode years later.

Last edited by a moderator:

Last Spider

Arachnid Dude
Even using just that revelations still looks awful, because the 2002 cartoon shows you can do He-Man seriously and do it in a way that's actually interesting to watch.

Frontier

Staff member
Even using just that revelations still looks awful, because the 2002 cartoon shows you can do He-Man seriously and do it in a way that's actually interesting to watch.
I wouldn't say Revelations wasn't interesting in at least some form even if I still disagree with some creative decisions (and I don't think "the 80's cartoon wasn't high art" is an appropriate response to those criticisms).

The Overlord

You know it is possible to like the 2002 cartoon and Relevations? I like both, I just think you do not have to go in one direction with an adaption of MOTU. Relevations doesn't make the Flimation or the 2002 cartoons no longer exist. Heck the CGI cartoon is a more traditional He-Man vs. Skeletor show, so there is something for everyone.

Last Spider

Arachnid Dude
You know it is possible to like the 2002 cartoon and Relevations? I like both, I just think you do not have to go in one direction with an adaption of MOTU. Relevations doesn't make the Flimation or the 2002 cartoons no longer exist. Heck the CGI cartoon is a more traditional He-Man vs. Skeletor show, so there is something for everyone.
Is there a point to this?
Like obviously other He-Man series exist, I've referenced them multiple times, but how does that make relevations any less of a disappointment, how does that make it less bad?
There's no logic here at all, the Justice League movie may not have stopped any other JL material from existing but that doesn't mean it didn't suck.

The Overlord

Is there a point to this?
Like obviously other He-Man series exist, I've referenced them multiple times, but how does that make relevations any less of a disappointment, how does that make it less bad?
There's no logic here at all, the Justice League movie may not have stopped any other JL material from existing but that doesn't mean it didn't suck.

If you think it's bad, that's your opinion, but clearly a lot of people here disagree with that opinion and like Relevations. They don't hate MOTU because they like Relevations, they like that it seems to advance the story and puts the some of the characters in new roles.

Frontier

Staff member
I was fine with Revelations but I think the execution was lacking in a few areas and their approach wasn't ideal, but that's just me.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts