MeTV Launching Toon in with Me

Low Spark of Lyman

Are you in, genius?
Today's episode was certainly interesting in the trivia department. Someone asked about the chronological range of cartoons in the MeTV library, which led to the following cartoons being shown as answers (more or less):

"Smile, Darn Ya, Smile!" (1931)

It should be noted that this was the earliest cartoon sold to Associated Artists Productions for television syndication, and the second of the Merrie Melodies series. I guess MeTV is uneasy about the Bosko shorts (though I do recall at least one such cartoon- "Bosko's Knight-Mare"- airing some time ago). "Lady, Play Your Mandolin!", the inaugural Merrie Melody, has rarely been shown in the past 91 years since its debut (August 2nd).

"Attack of the Drones" (2004)

Basically, the Larry Doyle era of Looney Tunes (2003-04), which was cut short due the underperformance of Looney Tunes: Back in Action. Which would mean they aren't including the two Tom and Jerry shorts from the 2000s ("The Mansion Cat" and "The Karate Guard"), neither of which I've seen on MeTV anyway. It seems only Looney Tunes has anything post-1971 being shown on the network.

EDIT: It was actually "The Queen Was in the Parlor" that I (partially) saw some time ago, not "Bosko's Knight-Mare". Oh well.

Last edited:

superkeegan9100

YTPer, Cartoon Analyst, Artist
"Attack of the Drones" (2004)

Basically, the Larry Doyle era of Looney Tunes (2003-04), which was cut short due the underperformance of Looney Tunes: Back in Action. Which would mean they aren't including the two Tom and Jerry shorts from the 2000s ("The Mansion Cat" and "The Karate Guard"), neither of which I've seen on MeTV anyway. It seems only Looney Tunes has anything post-1971 being shown on the network.
I don't even think those shorts aired on Cartoon Network or Boomerang

Low Spark of Lyman

Are you in, genius?
I don't even think those shorts aired on Cartoon Network or Boomerang
I remember seeing both of the Tom and Jerry ones on CN's Tom and Jerry block in the 2010s. IIRC (from what I've read before), "The Mansion Cat" premiered on Boomerang in 2001.

Although for Looney Tunes (again on CN), I don't remember any 2003-04 shorts on their block at the time, which is probably not surprising. The latest cartoon I saw on there was "From Hare to Eternity" (1997).

Micahel Cataldo

I hope MeTV replays the episode Bill's Legs Fall Asleep soon because it has the characters doing random dancing and Bill doing his dance moves while his legs sleep.

ToonDude03

A “Bugs Bunny Block Party“ will air next Sunday, consisting of a total of 30 Bugs Bunny cartoons!

Attachments

• C51C1D40-5D1B-41B2-A13D-EBEC5E14680A.jpeg
    C51C1D40-5D1B-41B2-A13D-EBEC5E14680A.jpeg
    230.2 KB · Views: 53

Low Spark of Lyman

Are you in, genius?
Also, tomorrow's episode:

THE CLAMPETT CARNIVAL
"Bill and Toony celebrate the work of the great Looney Tunes director, Bob Clampett."

I noticed his daughter appeared in the "On the next..." promo.

Last edited:

Low Spark of Lyman

Are you in, genius?
Today's episode included a guest appearance from Cheryl Chase, best known for voicing Angelica on Rugrats. Ms. Chase was also the crowned "Super Tooner" for the week (a common aspect of Fantastic Fridays), since she's really into cartoons, having been, IIRC, president of a Bugs Bunny club in school. I also noticed a poster of Merrie Melodies on the wall behind her (pretty sure it was for "Greetings Bait").

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
Today's episode included a guest appearance from Cheryl Chase, best known for voicing Angelica on Rugrats. Ms. Chase was also the crowned "Super Tooner" for the week (a common aspect of Fantastic Fridays), since she's really into cartoons, having been, IIRC, president of a Bugs Bunny club in school. I also noticed a poster of Merrie Melodies on the wall behind her (pretty sure it was for "Greetings Bait").
She's also legendary animation researcher Jerry Beck's wife, who I believe has been on the show a few times himself.

Low Spark of Lyman

Are you in, genius?
She's also legendary animation researcher Jerry Beck's wife, who I believe has been on the show a few times himself.
I may have read that somewhere before, but didn't recall it at all. Oh well.

I remember seeing Beck on the show at least once: as one of the guests for the Bugs Bunny birthday week event (as I described earlier on here).

Low Spark of Lyman

Are you in, genius?
Sorry for the double post, but I thought this was worth bringing up:

One of the Popeye cartoons shown today- "Blunder Below"- had the WB warning about politically incorrect material being shown. I don't know if this has been done before on MeTV (I know it's been a thing overall since at least 2005), although I've read that it's happened at least once on MeTV+ (the Daffy Duck cartoon "Ain't That Ducky").

Mr. Idea Box

Let's look on the bright side. Maybe we can get Yogi Bear and other HB animal shorts on MeTV?

Hey, it's a long shot. But if they're only allowed to air WB-owned shorts most of the time, not counting the DFE library from MGM, then maybe some good old-fashioned Daws Butler could be enough to expand their horizons.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

To think that it was 5 years ago on this day when Stella Zhau made her "technical"/off-screen debut. It wouldn't be until August 2nd of that year when she made her "formal"/on-screen debut.
Revivals are fine if a show was abruptly cancelled and didn't get to finish its story, but for Pete's sake, can we at least slow down on the reboots so that original content can take priority? Why are networks so afraid of innovating now as if they haven't done it before?
Reply if you're muslim (you can if you aren't)
It's been one year since NickRewind block ceased the operations.
it's that day of the year!

Featured Posts