MeTV Launching Toon in with Me

Dan's Revenge

List keeper
I read from that article they've done close to 40 shows. Wondering how long they'll go until a decision is made to rebroadcast, which, is a curious thing upon editing, as I'd think they'd keep the same cartoons for that intended 'show' intact, which after a while would get a little old, but that's if they intend to. At that point, they could let go the preview to any cartoons they'd be doing the next day, still have a theme to the segments between the cartoons, but not necessarily play cartoons around that theme, so that that particular part of the show doesn't stale. I absolutely love how deep into the vault they get, but I wouldn't want to keep watching those same ones until finally getting others. I'd like to gradually see them continue that vault-digging and then some. I'm still not opposed to cartoons to the show's theme though as it's still fun.

As for other cartoons they're trying to get, I can at least come up with 2 particular characters that'd be fun to add to the mix. Pink Panther. and Mr. Magôô would be great additions. For the target audience, the latter of the two would be rather funny, but not at all indicating the audience is like him ;) ---- I'd seen a small number of Terrytoons a few years ago on a channel that mainly aired religious-based shows, in which I think was a network for a younger audience. (Can't remember the channel name) I didn't find myself enjoying them much if at all, but, I agree they'd be great for MeTV as well, and I'd likely try again to see if I can enjoy them.

Depending on how much MeTV can acquire (which I'm still amazed at what they did acquire, and I won't bother trying to imagine the budget for a rerun network), I do hope they're soon able to get new-to-them properties, especially in the 6-7 minute cartoon format like the three examples listed here. Mainly, in regards to 'Toon in with Me', it'll allow them to give us all different properties in that hour since it wasn't intended to be mostly or all one property. Between LT/MM, T&J/MGM, Popeye, and the examples of Terrytoons, Pink Panther, and Magoo... as long as they do 5 cartoons in the hour along with their host segments, all from different companies, it'd make the hour very worthwhile for all the variety they can show.

Eventually, depending on how much they acquire, and depending how long they hold the ones they do now, I could see further expansions to them showing cartoons so those newer ones have more of a chance to get shown. It'd mean scaling back on more westerns/sitcoms which I know a lot of the audience love, but they could still try to fit them in or rotate them around to keep the network in full as fresh as possible.

HombreSinNombre

Forgive My Past
Pink Panther's Party joins Saturday Morning Cartoons starting May 15th at 7:30AM ET, replacing a half-hour of Popeye and Pals. One would assume the shorts will also be integrated into Toon In With Me as well.

Last edited:

aegisrawks

"MeTV+" channel to debut May 15, 2021 in Chicago and Phoenix and possibly in other Weigel-owned tv stations (Los Angeles, San Francisco,, Milwaukee, St Louis, Houston, Salt Lake City, Hartford-New Haven CT, Seattle, Nashville, Glenwood Spring CO, Dallas, South Bend IN) and other cities in later periods as a digital subchannel. The Morning MeTV Toon In With Me show to be rerun at night on the new channel at 11pm Central. Night time toons for those missing the show in the morning. https://www.robertfeder.com/.../weigel-expands.../...

Dan's Revenge

List keeper
The first Pink Panther cartoon did play on Toon in With Me this morning as the last cartoon of the show, after the set was given a pink-over with the color being featured in the cartoons. The first animated toon of it as well; "The Pink Phink" was played. 'The Inspector' as well as 'Roland and Rattfink' from DFE Films were announced as part of MeTV's expanded cartoon library.

The confusing part right now is while their pdf schedule does show 'Pink Panther's Party' listed for 7:30am, the main schedule shows that + Popeye as a full hour and titled "Popeye and Pink Panther's Party", which cartoon titles between the franchises listed together. Meanwhile, upon making sure I have it set for DVR for the Saturday morning show, it first showed at 7:30am as 'Pink Panther and Pals' which was of course a newer series later, but now, 'The Pink Panther Show' for the full 7:00am hour. A lot of mix-up, making it difficult to know how they're going about this. Still haven't seen a preview yet for its Saturday morning yet either.

Also have to wonder if they're dropping or did drop Betty Boop altogether. Excluding the Best of Bugs they did, it hasn't appeared on TiWM yet this month, nor the last two weeks Saturdays (first 2 May Saturdays) during Popeye as all 7 cartoons both weeks were all Popeye - first 6 B&W and last in color at that. They very well could still do Betty Boop during TiWM but doesn't seem likely for now.

Last edited:

Low Spark of Lyman

Y’know, I think the poor guy's screwy.

Sunnydee

I feel like they get better with every episode! I'm really enjoying it! And then I'm also enjoying the Saturday Morning Block too!

I've discovered so many shorts that I otherwise would have never seen, but that I now love. I'm really surprised!

It's also great with Bill and Toony and the cast because you don't feel like you're alone watching in a vacuum. The show around the shorts really provides a great atmosphere.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
I would like to see WB commission computer-colorized versions of the B&W Popeye shorts, which would be made for broadcasting (including on Toon in With Me), streaming, digital download, and streaming - any type of media you can think of.

They'd be much better than the redrawn colorized prints that have been available since the 1980s. And unlike the redrawns, the restored DVD versions would be used as the basis, which means the new colorized versions would retain the Paramount logos.

I also say this because there are people who are put off by B&W.

The ending to such prints would be a black screen showing Turner Entertainment as the copyright holder to the new colorized version, info about the Popeye characters and related marks being owned by King Features, and the Paramount logo being owned by, well, Paramount.

Low Spark of Lyman

During the premiere Fantastic Friday last week, someone with a familiar (online) name requested a Merlin the Magic Mouse cartoon (which was granted via Feud with a Dude).

What was it...Yoshi Amaggeon, or something...

EDIT: YoshiAngemon, that's got to have been it.

Last edited:

Low Spark of Lyman

Okay, an episode that aired last week (I think)...

a) Super Rabbit aired for the first time, at least on Toon In With Me (don't know about Saturday Morning Cartoons).

b) A Bone for a Bone was introduced as the first Goofy Gophers cartoon? More like the first with Friz Freleng.

And at the end of today's preview of the next episode...Woody Woodpecker?!

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
Yes, "Pantry Panic", a classic Walter Lantz-era Woody short, aired yesterday. I believe it's one of the very few Woody Woodpecker shorts to be in the public domain, so MeTV should have free reign to it.

Heh, this was the only Woody short I saw as a child, as his classic cartoons weren't really on TV at the time. But this was on many a public domain tape, so it became pretty familiar to me.

Low Spark of Lyman

Yes, "Pantry Panic", a classic Walter Lantz-era Woody short, aired yesterday. I believe it's one of the very few Woody Woodpecker shorts to be in the public domain, so MeTV should have free reign to it.

Heh, this was the only Woody short I saw as a child, as his classic cartoons weren't really on TV at the time. But this was on many a public domain tape, so it became pretty familiar to me.
Just to note: I did see (or at least have on) most of the Toon In with Me episode (and even recorded the whole thing), but slacked off on reporting it.

To my knowledge, "Pantry Panic" is the only public domain short with Woody. If anyone can show otherwise, kindly let me know.

I figured it was shown for that reason, especially since there was no announcement/big deal made about Woody appearing on the block like there was about The Pink Panther et al. earlier this year.

Last edited:

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
Earlier this week, a Columbia Color Rhapsody cartoon aired on the block, "Cat-tastrophy". And another will air on this Monday's Super Colossal Cartoon Christmas Special at 8 pm, "Gifts from the Air". Whether these are just one-offs like "Pantry Panic", or will be future full-time additions to the series remains to be seen.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts