"Mortal Kombat Legends: Battle of the Realms" Animated Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Mortal Kombat Legends: Battle of the Realms - Rate and Discuss this Animated Feature!

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• ***1/2

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
From the minds behind some of the biggest DC Comics animated projects comes the biggest Mortal Kombat animated movie yet!

Mortal Kombat Legends: Battle of the Realms
Studio: Warner Bros. Animation
Release Date: Aug. 31, 2021

Mortal Kombat Legends: Battle of the Realms picks up shortly after the explosive finale of Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion’s Revenge, the 2020 blockbuster hit that initiated these animated films – which are based on one of the most popular videogame franchises in history.

In Mortal Kombat Legends: Battle of the Realms, our team of heroes are besieged by the enemy forces of Shao Kahn – forcing Raiden and his group of warriors into a deal to compete in a final Mortal Kombat that will determine the fate of the realms. Now our heroes must travel to Outworld in order to defend Earthrealm and, simultaneously, Scorpion must find the ancient Kamidogu before it’s used to resurrect the One Being – which would mean certain destruction of all things in the universe. Time is short and the stakes are high in this action-packed continuation of the Mortal Kombat journey.

Mortal Kombat Legends: Battle of the Realms is directed by Ethan Spaulding (Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion’s Revenge, Batman: Assault on Arkham) from a script by Jeremy Adams (Supernatural, Justice Society: World War II) and based on the videogame created by Ed Boon and John Tobias. Rick Morales (Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders, Batman vs. Two-Face) is Producer. Jim Krieg (Batman: Gotham by Gaslight) is Producer. Executive Producer is Sam Register. Ed Boon (NetherRealm Studios) is Creative Consultant.

Mortal Kombat! Discuss this action-packed animated feature right here!

Related Content and Discussion:
-Mortal Kombat Legends: Battle of the Realms Review (Spoilers)
-Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge Review (Spoilers)
-Mortal Kombat (2021) Talkback (Spoilers)
-Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge Talkback (Spoilers)
-Mortal Kombat: The Journey Begins Animated Special Talkback (Spoilers)
-Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm Animated Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
I liked it, but the merging of the realms at the end was way too rushed. I kinda wish we had more of that, instead a good chunk of the film was another tournament.

Other thoughts:
-I did like Raiden giving up his immortality- it felt like a rebuttal to Mortal Kombat Annihilation's "I will pray for you all."
-Sub-Zero and Scorpion fighting in the cavern with the air currents reminded me of Mythologies: Sub-Zero.
-Stryker and Kung Lao's fatalities... yowza. Those who have seen it know what I mean.
-I wish they kept in one of the outtakes Joel McHale used for one of Johnny Cage's come-on lines to Sonya- the one about their genitals. It was already rated R anyway, why not keep it in?
-Liu Kang morphing into the dragon at the end was pretty cool.
-Pleased to see so many characters from the MK universe here, even some of the more recent games, even if they didn't have time to develop most of them past "here's another opponent that needs defeating".

Last edited:

khuddle

A lot of preposterous Mortal Kombat fun. It's not "Hamlet" by any means, in fact the story is kind of all over the place (especially towards the end), but if you like Johnny Cage quips, and lots male vs female, female vs female martial arts action, you'll like this one. A decent successor to Scorpion's Revenge.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
They sure crammed a lot of content into this movie, that's for sure. When I rewatched it with commentary I was thinking, "Wow, there were a lot of set pieces in this movie, weren't there?"

SweetShop209

Maybe this could be attributed to how this movie (much like the previous movie) is 80 minutes long. I think the pacing is good, but having at least 5 more minutes would help out.

Frontier

Staff member
Maybe this could be attributed to how this movie (much like the previous movie) is 80 minutes long. I think the pacing is good, but having at least 5 more minutes would help out.
I think they also tried to throw in content from more than one Mortal Kombat game (I think they kind of condensed the plots of 2 and 3).

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Mortal Kombat Legends: Battle Of The Realms

I liked it, but I don't think I liked it as much as the first one. Liu Kang's mother getting brutally murdered in the opening scene REALLY turned me off, and the movie never fully won me back. Seriously gruesome and downright loathsome stuff.

Stryker's horrible death was not a surprise, but perhaps but Kung Lao and Raiden's deaths were. I think what bothered me most about Kung Lao's death is that it was comically gruesome. You want to play Stryker's death that way, that's one thing. To do that to Kung Lao is too much.

Joel McHale as Johnny Cage remains the franchise's MVP. As dark as things get, McHale is always making things tolerable. Cage died at some point in the games, but if the animated franchise is smart, they'll ignore that bit of canon history for the cartoon movies. I don't think any of these movies could work without him.

I am always fascinated by the fact that Scorpion is a good guy in these movies, and was really pleasantly surprised he made some sort of peace with what turned out to be the real Subzero. It was really cool.

The opening WB logo with Shaggy was fun too. Matthew Lillard was even billed in the credits.

Liu Kang turning into the Mortal Kombat dragon at the end sort of made me say "Aha!"

It was good, but it made some choices that I was not on-board with. ***1/2.

Kombat Gags: Gag Reel:

It's not an animated gag reel (which I would have loved) but animated outtakes of Joel McHale riffing. Him mentioning Community is weird because it seems like he's name-dropping it. His career is hardly dead enough that he needs to do that. He's not Mickey Rooney. Yet. ***.

SweetShop209

I would not be surprised if Jeremy Adams and Ethan Spaulding would be writer and director again.

TUO

I feel like it was rushed. They could have ended the movie with Shinnok getting and mergin with all off the kamidogu and Liu kang winning the outworld tournament. Then the third movie could have been Liu Kang stopping Shinnok.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts