Movies that SHOULD'VE gotten different ratings (Opinion)

pacman000

It’s root bear & a candy cigar!
A couple of years ago, I discovered the Common Sense Media website Reviews for what your kids want to watch (before they watch it) | Common Sense Media which gives age ratings (such as 3+ or 13+) to as many shows, movies, and games they can find and review as possible, and it got me thinking: in the case of movies, the MPAA SOMETIMES don't rate their movies accurately. Based on what I found on CSM, I decided to make a list of movies that SHOULD'VE gotten higher (or, in rare cases, lower) ratings, or SHOULD be re-rated:

Downton Abbey (MPAA: PG; CSM: 13+; therefore should be PG-13)
Dr. Dolittle 1998 (MPAA: PG-13; CSM: 9+; should be PG)
Howard the Duck (MPAA: PG; CSM: 13+; should be PG-13)
Footloose 1984 (MPAA: PG; CSM: 13+; should be PG-13, since that rating was introduced that year)
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (MPAA: PG; CSM: 12+; should be PG-13)
Gremlins 1 (MPAA: PG; CSM: 13+; DEFINITELY should be PG-13)
Sleepover (MPAA: PG; CSM: 15+; should be PG-13, or probably R)
Flash Gordon (MPAA: PG; CSM: 12+; should be PG-13)
Beetlejuice (MPAA: PG; CSM: 13; should be PG-13)
Big (MPAA: PG; CSM: 13+; should be PG-13)
Marley and Me 2008 (MPAA: PG; CSM: 13+; should be PG-13)
KIngsman: The Secret Service (MPAA: PG-13; CSM: 16+; should be R)

Other examples:
The Smokey and the Bandit trilogy
The Grease films

The list goes on and on, but what do YOU think? Does Common Sense Media rate films more accurately than the MPAA does? Should CSM be the new self-regulatory organization in North America pertaining to movies, games, and TV shows from now on, or is that going too far?
In the early 80’s, PG was used to indicate that a film “may not be appropriate for non-teenagers,” so Gemlins, Flash Gordon, Etc were probably rated correctly at the time.

Dr.Pepper

I just watched Cruella today and it has got to be one of the tamest PG-13 movies I’ve seen. There was no sex, basically no swearing, and the violence was largely off screen.

Pooky

Staff member
The lower end of PG-13s today is films that would have been rated PG in the 90s, no question. The higher end of PG-13s today is stuff that would have easily got an R in the 90s.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image

Dr.Pepper

I am watching It’s a Wonderful Life on NBC now and it has a TV-G rating. I think it should be TV-PG with the drunkenness, child abuse, mild sexual themes, and the fact the whole thing is about a guy trying to kill himself.

Moe

TV rating is assigned by broadcasters or networks, so they could air Chucky TV series with TV-Y rating but not sure about penalties by FCC for rate incorrectly, however PTC would have a field day if happen and Comcast may be embarrassed.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts