NES with "new pins"?

What is this I keep seeing on ebay? There's always a few of these Nintendos there with new pins that are supossed to stop that blinking. Anyone have one? Does it work? I hope so because my Yobo emulator thing isn't cutting it. Certain games don't go over well in general and in some the cheats don't work, namely Battletoads and THAT is definitely a problem :D

Shawn Hopkins

TZ Member of the Year 2013
I've not tried replacing the pins, but I have found you can fix an NES to reasonable working condition with a little sandpaper and some alcohol. Try these directions from www.digitpress.com:

FABombjoy says: Personally, I have had a 100% success rate with simply sanding the corrosion off of the old contacts, blowing the debris off with compressed air, and cleaning them a few times with a standard NES cleaning kit. That saves cost, and the connector remains 'ZIF', unlike the MCM connectors that I've had to use pliers on 3rd party carts (especially Tengen).

For the sand procedure, I use a piece of 80-160 grit cut to about 2/3 the width of the connector, and wrapped around some thin cardboard to give it some rigidity. I sand in only _with_ the direction of the pins, avoiding perpendicular movement (you can knock the pins out of alignment). Follow with canned air, and several cleanings with a NES cleaning kit.

Jibbajaba adds: In lieu of using a NES cleaning kit as the last step, I wrap a piece of white paper around the cardboard and "sand" the connector pins with that in the same manner that the sandpaper is used. This seems to get the last of the grime off the connector, as the paper will show signs of discoloration after use. If the paper comes out really dirty, then I go back to the sandpaper. If the connector is cleaned properly, then the paper will stay bright white after being inserted into the connector a few times. I have performed FABombjoy's procedure on multiple 72-pin connectors, and the results are always the same. The NES is "ziffy" and plays like new. I consider buying a new connector to be an absolute last resort. Afterwards, it helps if you become extremely anal about not inserting dirty carts into your system, including carts that you have just blown into.

Last update: 2005-06-02 22:59
Author: Jibbajaba

The NES Cleaning Kit helps, but you don't really need it. I also clean the pins with alcohol while I have it taken apart.

oranthal

Superman: A hero in life and in death
#60 said:
What is this I keep seeing on ebay? There's always a few of these Nintendos there with new pins that are supossed to stop that blinking. Anyone have one? Does it work? I hope so because my Yobo emulator thing isn't cutting it. Certain games don't go over well in general and in some the cheats don't work, namely Battletoads and THAT is definitely a problem :D
This was posted a while back. http://forums.toonzone.net/showthread.php?t=45558&highlight=pins

Post number 21 has a link to classicgaming about how to "repair" the NES. It will require you disassemble it, so if you feel daring, give it a go. It didn't really work for me, but it might work for you.

Shawn Hopkins

TZ Member of the Year 2013
I would, personally, recommend against trying that bending pins method. That's the method I tried before sandpaper and I ruined a 72-pin connector with it. It's not hard to break the pins, apparently. You may want to consult it if you aren't sure how to take the thing apart, but that part is pretty easy to figure out.

The sandpaper works, though. It's the only thing I've tried that does.

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Did the forums go into “dark mode” for anyone else?

From their Kickstarter, looks like the revival is all but official
Has it been historically known that Boomerang hasn't been available on Comcast Xfinity in some regions? I have the service, and I was able to get the channel, maybe it was just in different parts of the country.
Obscure action toons to stumble on:
-Egyxos
-AKEDO Ultimate Arcade Warriors
Talk about production issues.

Featured Posts