Netflix Animation Is In Serious Trouble

Corwin Haught

SilentYoda

Can't hear...
binge model
I never even liked the model to begin with.
I'm not fan of binge model and serialized shows take much of my time, so that why, I prefer episodic format and I can watch anytime.

To be blunt, yes.
Time to call Netelodeon? NetNick? NetflixNick?

I wonder if this will affect any chances of Disenchantment getting a fifth part (aka. season 3 part 1)?
I'm wonder about it.

SilentYoda

Can't hear...
Or can I call it Nickflix? :p
That's good one and time for Paramount to sell TeenNick and Nicktoons channel slots to Netflix, so they can fill original series, so it is going to be 24/7 of House of Cards and Paramount handle with commercial break. :D

harry580

That's good one and time for Paramount to sell TeenNick and Nicktoons channel slots to Netflix, so they can fill original series, so it is going to be 24/7 of House of Cards and Paramount handle with commercial break. :D
so, the Netflix channel right?

JMTV

Don't they already got Paramount Network for that? :p

Anyways, let's get back on topic.

SilentYoda

Can't hear...
Don't they already got Paramount Network for that? :p

Anyways, let's get back on topic.
Yeah, but Paramount want more and more - they carry most channels, tho.

I'm wonder if Netflix contents went into syndication on live TV channels?

The Overlord

Now, wait a minute. This has nothing to do with releasing several episodes at once (which I personally don’t mind), versus releasing episodes once a week, or whatever. This is only about what they have recently done (namely the whole “cancelling several planned shows” thing). Let’s stay on target here, okay? This isn’t a “Netflix is doomed” thread (not really, anyway). Besides, it’s too early to say that anyway, plus there’s already thread like that, but it’s now a “news and discussion” thread.

Don’t get me wrong, though. I’m not defending them, or what they did. I’m just saying it’s too soon to say it’s over for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't talk about the woes of Netflix Animation without talking about the flaws in the Netflix business model. If the business model doesn't work, they would inevitably have to cut costs and animation usually is the place a lot of media companies look to cut first. They have to cut costs because they acquired so much debt, they acquired so much debt by reckless spending, like spending 30 million dollars per episode on Stranger Things season 4, that level of spending means ultimately there is less money to go around in general.

Weekly releases create buzz for a show that releasing all the episodes at once doesn't create.

RainbowCupcake

Finish your dessert and like it!!!
Staff member
I've been perusing the Netflix drama lately, and I've got to say, it's so ironic that less than a month ago, we were praising Netflix for saving Nimona and giving the film a home. Nearly a week lately, the animation community now despises Netflix because they've been canceling kids' shows left and right.

I'm not going to defend or bash on Netflix; it sucks that these shows were canned, but it makes sense from a business standpoint. However, I do find it interesting how quickly Netflix's demise has transpired. Will they get through this rough patch and continue to dominate the animation industry? Perhaps, or perhaps they won't recover from this bad press. Time will only tell.

SilentYoda

Can't hear...
The spending spree and overspend are bad deal for Netflix, and I don't think that $30 millions is reasonable amount for one episode of Stranger Things, so $1 million would be enough for those kind. $30 millions is enough to make one comedy theatrical film.

Raise the monthly cost isn't going to save Netflix's face, so I know that Netflix is going dive after raise the monthly cost multiple of times for years.

The Overlord

I've been perusing the Netflix drama lately, and I've got to say, it's so ironic that less than a month ago, we were praising Netflix for saving Nimona and giving the film a home. Nearly a week lately, the animation community now despises Netflix because they've been canceling kids' shows left and right.

I'm not going to defend or bash on Netflix; it sucks that these shows were canned, but it makes sense from a business standpoint. However, I do find it interesting how quickly Netflix's demise has transpired. Will they get through this rough patch and continue to dominate the animation industry? Perhaps, or perhaps they won't recover from this bad press. Time will only tell.

Considering Netflix's investors have sued Netflix for its incorrect economic financial forecasts, I doubt it will Netflix will regain its former status.

It's kinda amusing that Netflix a year ago, talked about challenging Disney for its crown as the king of children entertainment:

Looks like they flew too close to the sun.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
It's kinda amusing that Netflix a year ago, talked about challenging Disney for its crown as the king of children entertainment:
I remember thinking that was a ridiculous goal, and saying so at the time. I refuse to gloat about it in hindsight however, because it's actually quite self-evident how dumb an idea it really is. I get no credit for pointing out the obvious.

Mandouga

If you ask me, they just got a big head, period, trying to convince the AMPAS that their original movies should be eligible for the Oscars even though they weren’t originally released in theaters, and overall trying to convince everyone that streaming is the future (it’s no more “the future” then TV ever was when that began back in the 1930s.*). Streaming isn’t really going to replace theatrical releases or airing on TV. I’m not entirely sure if Netflix is/was actually convinced of that, but if they are/were, they would be making a mistake…

*TV began experimentally in the late 1930s or so, but was demonstrated as early as the 1920s (I think). However the early 1950s is generally thought of as the beginning of the modern, national TV industry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMTV

Looks like they flew too close to the sun.
I remember hearing about that article last year, and I find that very laughable.

Why would a billon dollar streaming company that has been around for over a decade can "challenge" a multi-billon dollar media conglomerate that has been around for almost a century?

It's mind-boggling to me.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Streaker Prower wrote on Otakuninja2006's profile.
Hey Otakuninja2006, I want to see more of your Nickelodeon Slam Schedules please
Pixar's Ratatouille is 15 years old today.

It looks like Paget Brewster didn't know that DuckTales would end at season 3 given the surprise she felt when she was told about this at the last recording.
themidnightlore wrote on RegularCapital's profile.
A moment of silence for TCM, that got kicked out from the avatar. Joking aside, the avatar rocks nice the corporate WBD colours.

The winner of this matchup is The Muppet Movie, which got 3 votes. Follow That Bird got 1 vote. The next matchup is between Mulan and Kung Fu Panda.

Featured Posts