Nickelodeon Acquires New The Smurfs CG-Animated Series

Ghostbuster

Team Wolf Brothers!
Nickelodeon and LAFIG Belgium and IMPS are partnering to bring a brand-new original CG-animated series based on The Smurfs to a new generation of kids and families around the world. Under the deal, Nickelodeon has licensed the global rights to The Smurfs which follows the beloved characters--Papa Smurf, Smurfette, Brainy, Hefty, Clumsy and others--on all-new adventures, packed with humor, heart and high-stakes action. The series is slated to debut in 2021 in the U.S., followed by Nickelodeon channels internationally.

Jokey_Brainy.jpg

In addition to the content partnership, ViacomCBS Consumer Products (VCP) will manage consumer products licensing for The Smurfs property across the U.S., Canada, Mexico, the United Kingdom, Singapore and Malaysia. VCP will seek new merchandising and promotional partners in select categories and territories for The Smurfs classic brand, in addition to a new product line for the new animated series The Smurfs, spanning categories including toys, stationery, apparel and accessories, home, consumer packaged goods and more, to launch at retail in 2022.

Last edited:

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
Funny thing is, in the US a Smurfs series will now have aired on Nick as well as CN. WB still owns the US rights to the Hanna-Barbera series, as part of it is on HBOmax.

It's like how Nick owns the TMNT and Garfield IPs, but not the 80s-90s series of either franchise. In the case of the Smurfs, Nick will only own the IP in the US and select international countries.

Ironically, the 2011 Smurfs movie started development at Nick Movies, but later moved to Sony.

harry580

Funny thing is, in the US a Smurfs series will now have aired on Nick as well as CN. WB still owns the US rights to the Hanna-Barbera series, as part of it is on HBOmax.

It's like how Nick owns the TMNT and Garfield IPs, but not the 80s-90s series of either franchise. In the case of the Smurfs, Nick will only own the IP in the US and select international countries.

Ironically, the 2011 Smurfs movie started development at Nick Movies, but later moved to Sony.
the rights for that ip is still owned by peyo, nick is just acquired the airing rights

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
the rights for that ip is still owned by peyo, nick is just acquired the airing rights
But ViacomCBS will handle consumer product licensing in the US and select other countries.

Mandouga

From that one clip alone (Smurfette trying to “Rider Kick” Bigmouth), I already don’t like it. It doesn’t even feel like “The Smurfs”. Any show could do that (unfunny) “big vs. little” joke.

Really, everyone, if this is just going to assume that viewers are only familiar with the movies, I’m not even going to bother. I can only imagine what Peyo (the original creator who is no longer with us) would have thought after seeing what was being done to his creation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mandouga

...yeah, this show is obviously talking through its teeth; another "red flag", IMHO.

Also, for Smurfette, it's clear what they're trying to do with her, but I think they may be trying too hard. That, or it may just be part of the gag...

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts