Nickelodeon Acquires New The Smurfs CG-Animated Series

Goldstar!

Just a tad spicy
We know that Baby Smurf wil be in it, but what about Wild, the Smurflings, Nanny, and Grandpa Smurf?
We do know that the Smurfette tribe from Smurfs and the Lost Village will be in this series, even if they were curiously absent from the trailer.

Smurfs 2021 Series.jpg

Johntoonfan05

Will there be different Voice Actors for this show? (Since the Cast of the Lost Village aren't available)

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Okay, who wants to bet how long until it’s booted to Nicktoons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's an acquisition so it doesn't matter much how Nickelodeon treats it. I bet there will be at least 104 half-hours.

Goldstar!

Just a tad spicy
From that one clip alone (Smurfette trying to “Rider Kick” Bigmouth), I already don’t like it. It doesn’t even feel like “The Smurfs”. Any show could do that (unfunny) “big vs. little” joke.

Really, everyone, if this is just going to assume that viewers are only familiar with the movies, I’m not even going to bother.
If you're a kid today and you weren't alive in 1981 to have ever seen the NBC Saturday morning cartoon, then you are only familiar with the movies. We can safely assume that this series will cater to kids, since in the U.S., it'll be airing on Nickelodeon, kid's network. Nickelodeon's target demo is kids, and the network caters to them, not to us.

And yeah, just because something is on (even if it's based on a thing that you remember) that doesn't mean that you have to watch it. If the show's no peaking your interest, you can just skip it.

Last edited:

Mandouga

@ Goldstar Neo:

This has nothing to do with demographics or any other kind of “data”. Instead of actually trying to adapt Peyo’s original comics (if anything), they’ve decided to do a show set after “The Lost Village”. In other words, this tells me that they’ve decided not to even bother, and instead just assume that the viewers—no matter how young or old they are—would only be familiar with the movies, and do the show based on that.

I’ll be direct. This isn’t really about whether or not the viewers are familiar with any version of The Smurfs. To me, anyway, it’s more about taking the easy way out, which isn’t always the best answer. That’s what disappoints me about this upcoming show, if anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goldstar!

Just a tad spicy
@ Goldstar Neo:

This has nothing to do with demographics or any other kind of “data”. Instead of actually trying to adapt Peyo’s original comics (if anything), they’ve decided to do a show set after “The Lost Village”. In other words, this tells me that they’ve decided not to even bother, and instead just assume that the viewers—no matter how young or old they are—would only be familiar with the movies, and do the show based on that.
If a series is (or will be) airing on Nickelodeon (a channel aimed at children), then it's a given that said series will likewise be marketed towards a young audience, i.e., children. No "data" is required to reach that conclusion. And the reason why this series set directly after The Smurfs and the Lost Village is because that movie was the most recent Smurfs project to date and so that's the one the kids will remember. Keep in mind that any kid today wasn't alive during the 1980s and therefore expecting today's kids to gravitate toward the earlier incarnations of Smurfs which started and stopped before they were born doesn't make much sense.
I’ll be direct. This isn’t really about whether or not the viewers are familiar with any version of The Smurfs. To me, anyway, it’s more about taking the easy way out, which isn’t always the best answer. That’s what disappoints me about this upcoming show, if anything.
I'm not what sure how you're defining "taking the easy way out" here. If by this, you mean having jokes such as "Smurf Fu", well, again, the show is meant to appeal to children, and martial arts is something that kids are known to enjoy seeing, so, pandering though it may be, it's expected when dealing with kid's shows.

The "issue" as I see it, is that it's very hard for adults to judge the merits of kid's shows, because often what kids will view as classic entertainment will drive any and all adults from the room within minutes. Like the original (American) Smurfs series, this show is aimed at kids, and I can guarantee that your parents or older siblings or whatever found that show to be just as awful and unwatchable as you think this one is, and that's OK. You're a grown up now. You can just watch something else.

Last edited:

kanc

Nick.com and nick app now released the episode of Smurfs "Clumsy Not Clumsy" (11 min), which is yet to air on Nickelodeon sooner..

The series premiere will be Sept 10, a sneak peek will air on Sept 6.

Can the admin please change this to Smurfs news and discussion thread please? thanks

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
Paramount and Nick tried to make a Smurfs movie over a decade ago, but had to turnaround the rights to Sony.

kanc

New episodes of The Smurfs starting July 4 will air weekdays at 2PM slot. It will finish the season 1 by Jul 14

Also to note: Clumsy Not Clumsy did first air on TV last May 26, without any warning or promo.

Season 2 will be airing on Mon Jul 18

Can the administrators please update this thread title to The Smurfs news discussion thread since the series already started airing?

ToonsJazzLover

Good for them, but I can't help but feel bitter they're treating this show the same way they did with Alvinnn!!! when it was new: Giving it so much screentime while refusing to air their new original Nicktoons. Really shows you their favoritism with established properties over news ones.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts