Once huge movies that are now (almost) forgotten

the greenman

I keep being tempted to respond one way or another to that, but I get the sense you're pretty settled in your position, as in my way am I, so it's probably best for us to move on.

As for the Abrams Trek movies I personally thought at the time they were wildly overpraised and do wonder how many fans they retain now. I think their place in pop culture was taken by the Star Wars sequels (it was no secret Abrams wanted to bring more of a Star Wars sensibility to Trek, and in many ways his Trek films seem like a dry run for The Force Awakens now) and the newer ST TV shows. Apparently they are still hoping to make a forth though.
In hindsight, that 2009 Star Trek film was fun. Everything was practically perfect for a tribute/parody film as was and is still being done (I-Spy, Wild Wild West, Get Smart, Man from U.N.C.L.E., Starsky & Hutch, etc). Even the OG Trek cast series of films tried their best to adhere to the tropes of their own TV series.

As for Into Darkness & the slightly less offensive Beyond I personally didn't care for them much. You could see the flaws in what the first film was, by looking back. Same with J.J.'s Star Was. Up until Star Trek 2009, I hadn't really seen a film of his (I couldn't really remember his M.I. film well enough to care as I saw it flipping through channels at one point).

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

AdrenalineRush1996

I definitely wouldn't say that the first two Star Trek alternate reality films are forgotten. Into Darkness is definitely one of the most divisive instalments of the franchise but not forgotten.

Pooky

I admit the main reasons I don't care for Star Trek 09 are maybe more to do with personal bugbears than what might be called flaws persay. As nice as it was to see Nimoy in his iconic role again, the alternate timeline stuff was a mistake from Day 1 IMO, it cluttered and overcomplicated the story without adding much depth. At the time I also really hated the cutsey prequel "oh, that's where that comes from" gags, "all that she's left me with is my bones" etc.

Into Darkness, while a more substantive and appropriately thoughtful Trek movie in some ways, was a mess. I'm sure there are some people who think [SPOILERS] the Harrison\Khan bluff is neat, the mirroring of scenes from Wrath of Khan is clever and the Spock fistfight is wicked cool, but is there any excusing the "cure for death" ending?

Beyond was, one or two scenes aside, quite good, but also pretty forgettable.

Freddy

As for the Abrams Trek movies I personally thought at the time they were wildly overpraised and do wonder how many fans they retain now. I think their place in pop culture was taken by the Star Wars sequels (it was no secret Abrams wanted to bring more of a Star Wars sensibility to Trek, and in many ways his Trek films seem like a dry run for The Force Awakens now) and the newer ST TV shows. Apparently they are still hoping to make a forth though.

I personally would argue that it was Guardians of the Galaxy movies that "stole" Abrams Trek's thunder, so to speak. Both strove to be sci-fi popcorn fun, but GotG had more actual heart under all the action, so people latched on to it more. There's a reason why Paramount thought that focusing on the Beastie Boys' song would be the way to sell Beyond in post-GotG world.

the greenman

I definitely wouldn't say that the first two Star Trek alternate reality films are forgotten. Into Darkness is definitely one of the most divisive instalments of the franchise but not forgotten.
I'll concur. For a lot of youth, this was their introduction to Trek lore.

quintex96

I keep being tempted to respond one way or another to that, but I get the sense you're pretty settled in your position, as in my way am I, so it's probably best for us to move on.

I didn't know there were still plans for a fourth, I thought those plans died with Anton Yelchin.

I think people still do like those films but I think Discovery and Picard are taking up most of the attention from Trek fans now.

quintex96

Police Academy, it was a big franchise in the 1980s but it's now almost forgotten and despite rumors of a reboot coming. I doubt then some of the gags used back then could be made today.
Fun fact, there exists a cancelled FMV video game where the entire cast of that franchise reprises their roles, the game never came out because it was made for the NEMO, a cancelled video game console that was going to use VHS tapes to store its games on(I have a feeling the NEMO got cancelled because of the Action Max flopping as that also used video tapes for storage)the other NEMO made games like Night Trap and Sewer Shark were later ported to the Sega-CD(which explains the dated fashions as they were originally shot in the late 80s) but the Police Academy game never was for whatever reason and trying to get it released now would require sorting through tons of red legal tape, hope it comes out eventually though.

I admit the main reasons I don't care for Star Trek 09 are maybe more to do with personal bugbears than what might be called flaws persay. As nice as it was to see Nimoy in his iconic role again, the alternate timeline stuff was a mistake from Day 1 IMO, it cluttered and overcomplicated the story without adding much depth. At the time I also really hated the cutsey prequel "oh, that's where that comes from" gags, "all that she's left me with is my bones" etc.

Into Darkness, while a more substantive and appropriately thoughtful Trek movie in some ways, was a mess. I'm sure there are some people who think [SPOILERS] the Harrison\Khan bluff is neat, the mirroring of scenes from Wrath of Khan is clever and the Spock fistfight is wicked cool, but is there any excusing the "cure for death" ending?

Beyond was, one or two scenes aside, quite good, but also pretty forgettable.
I thought it was a damn good ending personally, my mom also quite liked it and she also loved all the lore references in the first film.

khuddle

Apologies if this has been mentioned earlier, but Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies.
Pesonally, as a Lord of the Rings super fan, I thought they were just ok. There was a LOT of good about them -- Gollum was very well done, Elija Wood as Frodo, Sean Astin as Sam, Ian McKellan as Gandalf and Sean Bean as Boromir were all great casting choices. But it was CGI heavy, and some of the CGI didn't work for me. Personally, I prefer Ralph Bakshi's 1978 animated version.

But most of the other LOTR fans loved it, and were all too quick to point out how much better it was than the Star Wars Prequels.

A decade or so later, after the Harry Potter series, the Game of Throne series and the Star Wars ST, it is all but forgotten. I sincerely doubt it will stand the test of time -- the CGI looks really dated at this point. Likely we'll see a reboot a decade or so from now.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Apologies if this has been mentioned earlier, but Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies.
Pesonally, as a Lord of the Rings super fan, I thought they were just ok. There was a LOT of good about them -- Gollum was very well done, Elija Wood as Frodo, Sean Astin as Sam, Ian McKellan as Gandalf and Sean Bean as Boromir were all great casting choices. But it was CGI heavy, and some of the CGI didn't work for me. Personally, I prefer Ralph Bakshi's 1978 animated version.

But most of the other LOTR fans loved it, and were all too quick to point out how much better it was than the Star Wars Prequels.

A decade or so later, after the Harry Potter series, the Game of Throne series and the Star Wars ST, it is all but forgotten. I sincerely doubt it will stand the test of time -- the CGI looks really dated at this point. Likely we'll see a reboot a decade or so from now.
That entry in this thread is the stretchiest of stretches.

Pooky

I don't know about completely forgotten, it even seems to me like there's been an upswing in interest in them in recent years (hitting that nostalgia point I would guess), but they don't seem to have been the "Star Wars for the zennial generation" it seemed like they were destined to be, I don't know if they attract many new fans. The Hobbit films seemed to really tarnish the brand, unlike the SW prequels which at least appealed to kids and so helped the brand grow. I guess Harry Potter turned out to be more the "Star Wars for Zennials".

the greenman

The Amazon series is supposed to keep it aware.

harry580

The Amazon series is supposed to keep it aware.

I know that kinda ironic because amazon is buying mgm which they owned united artists who originally owned the film rights to lord of the rings before mgm lost the film rights but still owned the hobbit film rights

Last edited:

quintex96

I don't know about completely forgotten, it even seems to me like there's been an upswing in interest in them in recent years (hitting that nostalgia point I would guess), but they don't seem to have been the "Star Wars for the zennial generation" it seemed like they were destined to be, I don't know if they attract many new fans. The Hobbit films seemed to really tarnish the brand, unlike the SW prequels which at least appealed to kids and so helped the brand grow. I guess Harry Potter turned out to be more the "Star Wars for Zennials".
I was never a big fan of the LOTR series honestly, honestly i'm glad the hype has died down because I was getting sick of hearing people orgasm all over them.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
I also take issue with the idea that the visual effects are dated. They service the movies just as well today as they did when they were released.
I agree, the visual effects in the LOTR films are fine.

You know what movies have bad CG? Most of the Marvel films. Some scenes look better than others, but there's a reason that almost all of the big climatic fights come out as forgettable, and cheap visual effects are a reason for that.

pacman000

It’s root bear & a candy cigar!
The 1959 version of “Journey to the Center of the Earth.”

It was star-studded, Oscar-nominated, & successful enough for Fox to green light another dinosaur movie, based on “The Lost World,” Today? If anyone remembers it at all it’s only to point out the lizard-dinosaurs looked better than usual. (And I must point out they were dimetrodons; neither the film nor the trailer called them dinosaurs.)

Last edited:

Freddy

All the Middle-Earth toys, merchandise, video games etc. to this day ape the visual look and tone of Peter Jackson's LotR movies, even if they aren’t connected to them. Heck, I went to see a Finnish stage adaptation of the books couple years ago and they certainly took some inspiration from the movies for some elements.

I don't think their are forgotten at all.

Last edited:

Pooky

You know what movies have bad CG? Most of the Marvel films. Some scenes look better than others, but there's a reason that almost all of the big climatic fights come out as forgettable, and cheap visual effects are a reason for that.

Agreed. Much CGI today falls short of the dream we had for it in the 90s. In many cases it's unconvincing fakery that we've come to accept as a given, much as we once accepted matte paintings and awkwardly integrated model shots and stop motion.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I'm officially 25 years old.
Comic book creator George Pérez has confirmed that he's been diagnosed with stage 3 pancreatic cancer and it's unfortunately inoperable, thus he's been given a life expectancy between six months and a year.
Totally Winxed wrote on Streaker Prower's profile.
Thanks for the follow!
I found this voice comparison for Sabretooth. Charlie Adler is basically using the voice he used for Mr. Whiskers from Brandy And Mr Whiskers.

Was The Batman meant to be a 3 season show, but then got renewed for 2 more seasons? Thomas Perkins was a character designer for seasons 1-3 before he went to work on Ben 10, and he mentioned being unsure of the show getting renewed at the time.

Featured Posts