OPINION: Adult swim should get another channel like Cartoonito internationally and it's Canadian counterpart

CNick

Alright. So, we have Cartoonito and [adult swim] with CN squished into a few hour timeslot. Corus Entertainment launched a [adult swim] channel in Canada, so I don't see why they couldn't do it in the United States. Maybe we could give Cartoonito some extra time to round it out, I guess. We would have more time to air programs, because not every kid turns off the TV and goes to bed exactly at 8 PM. Plus, most content is available on HBO Max, so we could atleast give CN some more time? I just think that would be the best solution, as not everybody pays for subscription streaming, even if it's a small minority.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
The Adult Swim channel in Canada isn't doing very well, as I understand it. Adult Swim US is never going to split from Cartoon Network simply because AS currently brings in higher ratings than anything on CN and also WB doesn't want CN to run 24/7. Running ads for kid's products during the late hours when the kids are in bed or otherwise no longer in control of the TV is considered to be a waste of advertising dollars, and CN would likely only use those extra hours to run more encores of the channel's most popular shows. CN could conceivably run a Boomerang block during the nighttime hours in place of AS, but AS is doing too well on CN, ratings-wise. WBD isn't going to split CN and AS into two channels. If WB wanted to split AS from CN, they could have moved the block to TBS or TruTV years ago. Adult Swim works much better as a program block than an entire channel.

Last edited:

Moe

Like other said in other thread, 24/7 Adult Swim in Canada is struggling and not successful when compared to Adult Swim block on CN in the US.

If 24/7 Adult Swim channel launched in the US, it will end up as not carried by many TV providers, look at Boomerang and likely to be on autopilot and make Adult Swim brand less valuable.

Remove Adult Swim from CN isn't going to happen, sorry.

Moe

Well we could atleast push Adult Swim to 9 or 10 pm
Not going to happen because of higher rating than CN = more ads revenues.

Sometime, CN take 8 pm for special occasion like Christmas, so eventually return to AS after special occasion ends.

There are many members in here want to push the AS hours, but WB will not grant the request.

Markus Nelis

Adult Swim 24/7 wouldn't work at all. Look what's happening in Canada. Not enough content and daytime AS doesn't fit for some reason. Thankfully AS is still sharing the channel slot with CN in the US. Logical to keep it like that forever.

Francisque

Adult Swim Canada is more of an entertainment channel than a purely "Adult Swim" channel anyway.

Very different market compared to the US, heck , it isn't even WBD-owned

Francisque

Adult Swim 24/7 wouldn't work at all. Look what's happening in Canada. Not enough content and daytime AS doesn't fit for some reason. Thankfully AS is still sharing the channel slot with CN in the US. Logical to keep it like that forever.
The same company, Corus Media, owns so many channels with branding from so many different US companies, it's kind of laughable anyway.
Adult Swim Canada is a kind of a "boasting" exercise, not saying it isn't working, probably it is, but it isn't well executed or thought after

Canada should relax the very tight laws on ownership of channels, anyway.

There's not a single western and even partly eastern European country, so strict

Moe

Adult Swim already doesn't own enough content for a full nighttime block. The loss of most of the acquisitions nearly killed it. I'll be shocked if it hasn't for the long-term.
Yeah, Adult Swim almost ended all animated 20th Century shows but it was huge mistake, so finally, they added it back.

Francisque

In a way, i like how CN US shares time with Adult Swim.

They wouldn't. make much use of a 24/7 CN US anyway, just look at CN UK's late night schedule, or even the likes of CN Poland and so on: it's Gumball back-to-back, and some few other European productions in order to respect EU quotas, and so on

Moe

In a way, i like how CN US shares time with Adult Swim.

They wouldn't. make much use of a 24/7 CN US anyway, just look at CN UK's late night schedule, or even the likes of CN Poland and so on: it's Gumball back-to-back, and some few other European productions in order to respect EU quotas, and so on
It looks like the US has most least restrictive laws regard with cable channels?

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Yeah, Adult Swim almost ended all animated 20th Century shows but it was huge mistake, so finally, they added it back.
It was worse than that. The decision was Fox's upon being bought by Disney. And Adult Swim literally had no other content besides Rick and Morty to replace it. Unfunny stoner comedy was everything else Adult Swim had. It was entirely irresponsible to build their entire schedule around acquisitions. One of the worst network business decisions ever. I still think Adult Swim has less than five years left in it.

Moe

It was worse than that. The decision was Fox's upon being bought by Disney. And Adult Swim literally had no other content besides Rick and Morty to replace it. Unfunny stoner comedy was everything else Adult Swim had. It was entirely irresponsible to build their entire schedule around acquisitions. One of the worst network business decisions ever. I still think Adult Swim has less than five years left in it.
Oh wow, it means Disney want animated Fox shows to be exclusive on Disney-owned channel like FXX and Freeform?

Francisque

Meh, I don't know, I wouldn't be so tragic.

But aside from Rick and Morty which seems to be a hit, I don't like the stuff that usually pops up out of Adult Swim, which I find too crude.

I'm an adult, and I still find much of stuff "creepy"... there's so much they could do, without being too... Adult Swim?

R Lopez

It's too late into the streaming era to launch a new cable channel.

This is the same answer to the question "Should Toonami get it's own channel?" It should've happened way back in 2000, which is when the Boomerang channel was created.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Oh wow, it means Disney want animated Fox shows to be exclusive on Disney-owned channel like FXX and Freeform?
Yeah, that's what happened. And Adult Swim literally had no Plan B. Fox threw them a lifeline by giving them back Futurama and King Of The Hill, but I wouldn't have done that were I Disney. I'd have let the network die. It's almost certainly still on life-support.

Meh, I don't know, I wouldn't be so tragic.

But aside from Rick and Morty which seems to be a hit, I don't like the stuff that usually pops up out of Adult Swim, which I find too crude.

I'm an adult, and I still find much of stuff "creepy"... there's so much they could do, without being too... Adult Swim?
When I think of Adult Swim, I think of Tim and Eric, Too Many Cooks, Robot Chicken, Mr. Pickles, and Xavier: Renegade Angel. Basically when I think of the original shows most associated with Adult Swim, I think of some of the worst television ever created.

This is the same answer to the question "Should Toonami get it's own channel?" It should've happened way back in 2000, which is when the Boomerang channel was created.
Ding ding ding!

Francisque

Knowing how American tastes in terms of animation are, and how anime has declined so much even in countries with a previous anime fanbase such as Italy, that would never have worked.

Toonami UK closed down, before becoming quite watered down; Toonami France still exists, but aside from some DC cartoons and repeats, it's an excuse to bring Adult Swim to France

R Lopez

Knowing how American tastes in terms of animation are, and how anime has declined so much even in countries with a previous anime fanbase such as Italy, that would never have worked.

Agreed. That's why it didn't happen. But that was the ONLY time when it was maybe worth taking a gamble on.

Moe

Yeah, that's what happened. And Adult Swim literally had no Plan B. Fox threw them a lifeline by giving them back Futurama and King Of The Hill, but I wouldn't have done that were I Disney. I'd have let the network die. It's almost certainly still on life-support.
Finally, I understand now. I do think that Adult Swim likely to replace with old action H-B cartoons or classic cartoon shorts, including controversial shorts, or repeat of older contents used H-B characters like Space Ghost Coast to Coast, or throw CHiPs in schedule, in case if they lose the rights to air Fox shows.

For me, as huge fan of horror movies, I don't find Adult Swim shows to be scary to me, but yes, it is a lot stronger and violent. I just got used to it. I like some of Adult Swim shows. It is weird to see WB used some of H-B characters like Shaggy to grab Daffy Duck's neck and killed it in WB water tank.

I do think that WB should make Mortal Kombat shows and air on Adult Swim, along with their best buddy, Rick and Morty. It is ironic to see WB put Rick and Morty in Space Jam's sequel.

I do think that WB won to have most violent cartoon shows, hmm?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts