Original story driven animation in decline?

The Overlord

Is original story driven animation in decline? This Roundtable video argues that with the Owl House being cut short, Amphibia ending soon, nothing really replacing Steven Universe as a story driven show on Cartoon Network and nothing really replacing Owl House or Amphibia as story driven cartoons on Disney, story driven animation is in decline:

Why The Owl House Really Got "Cancelled" - YouTube

There is an exception, animation on streaming that is based on existing IPs. So Marvel, likely DC soon, Star Wars, Star Trek, Masters of the Universe, Transformers, etc. have more story driven animated content, not they are not new IP.

the greenman

Well, the video argues that things are ending on Cable/Network television. I'd personally say this is old news going back to Young Justice on CN. However, as mentioned, streaming is the future. There are things like Invincible, the return of He-Man (dubious reception as it is), and some Marvel content.

If you are pointing out that Animator creator-driven content is waning and being replaced by IP; that is something that I see more to be in danger.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

CNC
today's my birthday, but it's more of a "sad birthday" than a "happy birthday" to me, because I'm still having a mental breakdown over my past. ugh.
Asa wrote on wonderfly's profile.
With the Omicron variant spreading in South Africa, do you think it's a good time to reopen the COVID-19 discussion board or are you going to keep it closed for good?
This special is worth it just to see Ben Schwartz rap about latkes.

someone once told me that the Korean language is like if the Chinese and Japanese languages melted into each other and came up with something different
The Loud House > Riverdale

Featured Posts