"Outdated" technology you still use

copper20

Eric
I stick with VHS for movies. They're cheaper usually and older movies sometimes look far worse on DVD (War of the Worlds comes to mind which cost me about 25 or 50 cents) and furthermore they tend to be likelier to work. For shows I stick with DVD since VHS would take up more space and you can't really just pick an episode or cartoon from tape unless you know what time it appears on the VHS. Aside from classic gaming I have two computers built specifically for older games (Windows 98/DOS and Windows XP machines) and I use compact discs instead of digital downloads for music usually. Physical media just works better for me.

Low Spark of Lyman

Y’know, I think the poor guy's screwy.
I really did it today.

For the first time in no less than four years, I've gotten my ASUS Eee PC netbook, my main computer before getting a MacBook, turned on. About time.

Last edited:

Ghoster1987

howdy
1593052177313.png

I still have my dad's old 70's era RadioShack clock/radio. I use it here and there and it still works after all these years. (this is not mine just a picture of the model i have.)

Last edited:

ATSFGuy

I still play CD’s on my radio next to my bed periodically. XM radio is great, but there’s still gaps only my personal collection can fill in. Anyone out there still do this?

For commercial radio, I used to listen to this one station KRTH 101 from March 1998 to maybe January 2016. It was the only station on the dial playing hits from 1955-1979. But around fall 2013, the 60’s/70’s began to slowly vanish and 80’s took over. In 2014 and 2015, the mind numbing repetition was starting to become more and more predictable I jumped ship later that year. Since 2016,
XM is now my music device with AM 1260 KSUR serving as a backup station.

I’m sure every large market FM radio station across the country dropped the 60’s/70’s for 80’s/90’s. Small market stations with huge playlists are the winners

Last edited:

Storm Eagle

Power to the peaceful
I have a VCR hooked up to my HDTV. I still have material on VHS that hasn't gone to DVD, and most likely never will. So I'd play those if I get nostalgic. I actually have two VCRs, since I used to copy things I recorded (but I did not sell).

I have the GameCube hooked up to my TV because of the Game Boy Player. I get a better view of the Game Boy (Advance) games that way. I even have the Wii U hooked up still, since there are a couple of games I have that I still haven't finished. Although not hooked up, there are also all of my other discontinued systems that aren't hooked up to the TV, but I'll break out sometimes.

I mainly listen to radio stations in the car, but if I'm at home, I'll use my computer since reception isn't an issue that way. I still have this CD-playing radio that I bought back in 2002, which I'll use to play these CDs I have of instrumental Oriental music to relax me when I'm trying to sleep. Either that, or I have the radio on the classical music station. I also still have regular CDs that I might play at home sometimes, but I'd mostly take them with me to play in the car for when I'm driving far distances.

Low Spark of Lyman

I am writing this on a Dell Inspiron 1200 running Windows XP. I now use Mozilla Firefox, as I've read that's the best web brower to use for XP nowadays. The backstory behind this:

I first got this kind of laptop in 2005 as a middle school graduation gift. I stopped using it in the spring of 2009 when it became more or less unusable. Earlier this month, I bought another one on eBay, one without a hard drive, as I was able to make a transplant with the former laptop. About a week ago, I got a reinstall disc (also purchased on eBay) to clean out the OS, as it still had the problems it did back in the late '00s (I did a good amount of backing things up, of course).

This way, I can access computer games I have from the '90s and '00s, among other old stuff.

Low Spark of Lyman

You can also do that on Windows 10 using compatibility mode. (but not always, for instance Lego Batman from 2008 is unplayable)
I managed to play some old games on my aforementioned ASUS computer (via an external super drive), but there were occassional problems, from what I remember. Like you said, doesn't always work.

For the record, while we have a desktop w/ Windows 10, I usually use a MacBook Pro.

kanc

For my TV I bought in 2014, I still have SD feed... for most channels, and thus explains for most HD shows/commercials show black horizontal bars

Low Spark of Lyman

I've been trying out a few games on the Inspiron yesterday and today. So far they look like they're working for the most part.

Oh yeah, last year I got a free Sharp TV set (manufactured in 1993 IIRC) from a consignment store I sometimes went to up until the lockdown was about to start*. I got it for free since the people running the store said they don't usually deal with major electronics (and, I think, weren't sure what to do with it).

The set works for cable and older video games, at least.

*I remember going there a couple times in late winter this year; it's one of the last stores I've been to up to now.

SidChang

I have a cassette tape player from some point in the mid '80s and a laptop from 1996 that, last I checked, still works perfectly. I also still have one of those TV/VCR combos and a few VHS tapes. My house's speaker system and radio is original from the very early '90s. Also still works for the most part, though some speakers are more garbled than others. There is still a PS2 lingering around somewhere as well.

Storm Eagle

Power to the peaceful
I got a UHDTV a couple of weeks ago, and I have a VCR hooked up to it, but only with composite cables. I also still have cable, and I have a 4K-capable cable box that doesn't have an antenna jack. So I don't think I can hook up the VCR in a way that I can use it to record off of the TV. The cable box has DVR anyway.

In a previous post, I mentioned still using a radio that plays CDs. What I didn't mention is that it plays cassettes too.

Low Spark of Lyman

Another console I have that I use for CDs (as well as DVDs): the original Xbox, which I got from someone I know.

EDIT: Another use for my Dell Inspiron 1200 is recording records and tapes via Audacity. Despite being my oldest computer, it's also the only one right now that can properly record.

Last edited:

pacman000

It’s root bear & a candy cigar!
Ignoring entertainment, which I never really consider obsolete, I still fax things regularly.

the greenman

I just discovered this thread. I am overjoyed to be in the company of so many like-minded individuals.

For me I have a VCR and tons of VHS cassettes. I eventually got some stuff to transfer. Though, I plan to get rid of alot this year.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts