Paramount head Jim Gianopulos departs

lowell

I would have been still in the Sony train if they didn't went to sell half of their TV channels in the last two years. If you get Paramount, rn, you also get ViacomCBS.
I wouldn't say half though.

It's only UK (7 channels), Southeast Asia and South Korea (3 channels).

India, Latin America, and other European countries still have Sony channels.

Plus, these movie and anime channels that were sold off might not be as popular as Comedy Central, MTV, and Nickelodeon anyway in those regions.

themidnightlore

That one that banters over Sony TV channels
I wouldn't say half though.

It's only UK (7 channels), Southeast Asia and South Korea (3 channels).

India, Latin America, and other European countries still have Sony channels.

Plus, these movie and anime channels that were sold off might not be as popular as Comedy Central, MTV, and Nickelodeon anyway in those regions.
Russia, Baltic Regions and soon the entire CEE region.
Also, probably Turkey? Yeah, they sold/closed a lot. Mainly minor markets, but, still. They are keeping the older/main markets.
Maybe if they get ViacomCBS, they could bring new life to them. But who knows. Maybe they just need a good shakedown to get better.

lowell

Russia, Baltic Regions and soon the entire CEE region.
Also, probably Turkey? Yeah, they sold/closed a lot. Mainly minor markets, but, still. They are keeping the older/main markets.
Maybe if they get ViacomCBS, they could bring new life to them. But who knows. Maybe they just need a good shakedown to get better.
Finding only the Russian ones closing down so far: Sony channels set to exit Russia

I mean, they still have some modest European presence after the Russian channels are gone: Germany, Portugal, Spain, and Central & Eastern Europe (couldn't find any confirmation on it closing).

But overall, these channels are really just Sony-branded, equivalent to the Sony Movie Channel here in the U.S., where you just show Sony Pictures films and international counterparts of the networks would show some of its shows as well as some licensed content from other producers.

With getting ViacomCBS, Sony wouldn't have to just pick from the Sony Pictures library, they would have access to content from Paramount, CBS (U.S), Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, Smithsonian Channel, Showtime, international networks like Channel 5 (UK), Network 10 (Australia), Telefe (Argentina), etc.

That's not to mention, Sony's channels are also managed by the people that run the Sony Pictures Television studio so that management layout is a little strange.

ViacomCBS actually has different types of executives, some working on content production, some working on filling programming and running the network, etc. There's no collision but more collaboration here.

Sony's missing that necessary difference in the division of responsibility when you have SPT execs also running the channels simultaneously to the duty of producing shows.

Last edited:

harry580

Finding only the Russian ones closing down so far: Sony channels set to exit Russia

I mean, they still have some modest European presence after the Russian channels are gone: Germany, Portugal, Spain, and Central & Eastern Europe (couldn't find any confirmation on it).

But overall, these channels are really just Sony-branded, equivalent to the Sony Movie Channel here in the U.S., where you just show Sony Pictures films and international counterparts of the networks would show some of its shows as well as some licensed content from other producers.

With getting ViacomCBS, Sony wouldn't have to just pick from the Sony Pictures library, they would have access to content from Paramount, CBS (U.S), Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, Smithsonian Channel, Showtime, international networks like Channel 5 (UK), Network 10 (Australia), Telefe (Argentina), etc.

That's not to mention, Sony's channels are also managed by the people that run the Sony Pictures Television studio so that management layout is a little strange.

ViacomCBS actually has different types of executives, some working on content production, some working on filling programming and running the network, etc. There's no collision but more collaboration here.

Sony's missing that necessary difference in the division of responsibility when you have SPT execs also running the channels simultaneously to the duty of producing shows.
if they do get viacomcbs, what could happen to Columbia Pictures, Tristar and screen gems, would sony can handle paramount?

lowell

if they do get viacomcbs, what could happen to Columbia Pictures, Tristar and screen gems, would sony can handle paramount?
They would be all producing films for both the theatrical slate and Paramount+.

The blockbuster titles will definitely go to theaters and the mid-budget titles can be decided on a case-by-case (depending on which they think could be Oscar-nominated).

On average, Columbia produces 8-11 titles, TriStar makes 2-3, Screen Gems also does 2-3, Sony Classics/Destination/Stage 6 has some niche releases here and there.

Paramount is around 10 titles.

Yeah, I see a mixed theatrical slate of Columbia/Paramount/some of the Sony niches and as well as a slate that feeds Parmamount+ (that can expand depending on the particular niche title).

Pretty similar to Warner/New Line, Disney/20th, etc. and how they differentiate between theatrical and streaming titles.

The fact that Paramount+ exists as another outlet makes it easier to understand that the theatrical slate wouldn't be as crammed as initially thought.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
Having Charter control ViacomCBS would put them in the RSN market with the ones in LA co-owned with the Dodgers and Lakers, and could be a foot in the door to potentially purchase the NBC RSNs.

lowell

Having Charter control ViacomCBS would put them in the RSN market with the ones in LA co-owned with the Dodgers and Lakers, and could be a foot in the door to potentially purchase the NBC RSNs.
Eh, the RSNs are going to be hunted down by Sinclair, by the looks of it.

I don't think it's that relevant for CBS Sports at this point (otherwise they would've bought some of them already). The division is focused on feeding the existing networks and Paramount+ to some extent.

Warner-Discovery is getting the AT&T RSNs (unless AT&T decides otherwise before WD deal closes) so they could fight for them and expand Turner Sports in that direction.

PF9

If NBC knows what is good for their RSNs, they won't let Sinclair have them, they have a bad reputation when it comes to operating Bally Sports. Not to mention NBC and Sinclair are on opposite ends of a certain spectrum.

Last edited:

DogBoneController

If NBC knows what is good for their RSNs, they won't let Sinclair have them, they have a bad reputation when it comes to operating Bally Sports. Not to mention NBC and Sinclair are on opposite ends of a certain spectrum.
Plus, NBC RSNs are carried on Hulu and YouTube TV.

PF9

Plus, I firmly believe Sony took themselves out of contention by selling a number of the networks they already owned. And there is a possibility they could sell the Sony Pictures division to Disney mainly so that Disney can have full film rights to Spider-Man.

This strengthens the possibility of the 51/49 ownership arrangement for Charter and National Amusements, with the former controlling.

harry580

here is a possibility they could sell the Sony Pictures division to Disney mainly so that Disney can have full film rights to Spider-Man.
well no, if anything, I think apple would most likely buy Sony Pictures and sell spiderman rights back to disney, like how nbc bought universal and sold the hulk rights back to marvel (although they still owned the Distribution rights to future hulk movies)

lowell

Plus, I firmly believe Sony took themselves out of contention by selling a number of the networks they already owned. And there is a possibility they could sell the Sony Pictures division to Disney mainly so that Disney can have full film rights to Spider-Man.

This strengthens the possibility of the 51/49 ownership arrangement for Charter and National Amusements, with the former controlling.
They only sold off 7 channels in one country and 3 channels in one sub-region.

They still have networks in each region.

And frankly, the sold-off channels aren't as popular as ViacomCBS's channels in those countries.

Sony is still a possible contender here and I can see them retaining ViacomCBS executives in the end to run the channels and have the Sony Pictures Television leadership commit to solely producing the shows.

It's not that because one division does this (SPT), it will be that way for every other department or affect much larger decisions made by corporate (Tokyo) like buying ViacomCBS.

In a sale of ViacomCBS (cash or mixed cash/stock deal), the Redstones would use the cash proceeds to fund the nest egg for their next of kin.

Once they acquire the company, Sony can sell off some stuff to start paying off the debt.

They can sell to Disney:

-all the Marvel rights (plus Men In Black since it's some way a Marvel IP) including distribution rights of all Sony Marvel productions in film and TV so far,

-rights to Muppet movies that Disney doesn't have like Muppets Take Manhattan, Muppets From Space, and Kermit's Swamp Years,

-Paramount's distribution rights of Marvel Studios Phase 1 films, the first 4 Indiana Jones films, and the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles TV show,

-Nickelodeon's run of Doug episodes before the rest was produced by Disney,

-and maybe also Stuart Little if Sony's not up to rebooting that.

And since Sony would have CBS as their broadcast network, they also won't need ViacomCBS's 50% stake in the CW and its 8 broadcast stations.

Sony could further shed off the debt by selling the 50% stake and the broadcast stations to the other entity who also holds a 50% stake in the CW: WarnerDiscovery, giving them full ownership of their own broadcast network.

lowell

Another Paramount shakeup: Showtime head David Nevins is assuming control of Paramount's TV studio (no remerger with CBS Studios in the cards yet).
Considering how much Paramount and the cable networks are getting restructured, I wouldn't be surprised if the CBS restructuring eventually happens as well.

CBS News and Broadcast Stations already got new leadership.

Changes at CBS Studios and Sports remain to be seen. The pondering of CBS Studios and Paramount Television Studios reuniting as one studio on Friday makes it look like it's a possibility down the road.

lowell

This recent quote from Sony Pictures Entertainment CEO Tony Vinciquerra was interesting here:

"The SPE chief also told a media conference Monday that, “There are probably too many films studios and we may see one or two less over the next five to ten years.”

“But I think the next consolidation will be in the game business” — one that Sony knowns well — he said in a virtual Q&A at the Bank Of America Merrill Lynch Media, Communications & Entertainment Conference.

He said he likes the position of Sony, which does not have it’s own general entertainment streaming service — as an “arms dealer” selling increasingly valuable content to the highest bidder.

Addressing windows — “There is a higher bar theatrically to get films into theaters so you will probably not see as many films going directly to theaters. [That said] We have about 12 to 15 major films a year distributed to theaters and will do the same going forward.” Sony could make others for sale directly to streamers. “But you wont see our major films go that way.”

“Our primary focus is theatrical distribution.”

He said windows will be shorter, 45 to 60 days, and will depend on each film “and how long it’s in theaters, which depends on how long people go to the theater to watch that particular film.”"

There's some talking around the discussion of this but I can say Sony's standing of being solely dependent on theatrical box office and content licensing deals (Netflix and Disney+ deals do require theatrical releases to happen first before they come to the services), will depend on the nature of the pandemic.

Whatever happens going forward will be made by corporate leadership in Tokyo to help Sony secure themselves for future pandemics and other unprecedented events, they might have to look at a way to get more revenue streams like potenial acquisitions.

And I guess this is a way for Vinciquerra and others at SPE saying they're indirectly supporting that move if it comes to it.

lowell

DogBoneController

More fallout: Longtime Gianopulos ally Emma Watts has resigned from Paramount. Mike Ireland and Daria Cercek are taking over as co-heads of film production.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

If you had to have Batman share a birthday with someone, then Alfred would be a wise choice.

The official trailer of Saturday Morning All Stars Hits:

I'm intrigued by the "Denver the Last Dinosaur meets Bojack Horseman" cartoon and the Care Bears action parody.
The OST of two games that I played on the PS2 back in Summer 2011. Childhood memories.
Apparently, Nicole Dubuc really liked Gargoyles when she was a teenager. Maybe this was the catalyst of her collaborating with Greg Weisman on a number of projects.

My favourite radio station from my favourite GTA game :)
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - Flash FM

Featured Posts