"Power Rangers Beast Morphers" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

veemonjosh

Stone free, do what I please
We've arrived at first of this year's two holiday specials!

PRBM.jpg

Halloween 2019 - "Hypnotic Halloween"
Air Date: October 19th, 2019

The Beast Morphers Rangers are hypnotized into believing that they are the characters they dressed up as for Halloween.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Power Rangers Beast Morphers "Hypnotic Halloween"

Before I give that a justifiably bad review I'll say something. An adult cynic who saw that might dismissively say they ripped off the "characters turn into their costumes on Halloween" idea from Buffy The Vampire Slayer. I don't see anyone else outside of Buffy using that idea as a rip-off at all. As far as I'm concerned, Buffy create a great new trope, that is actually better suited for shows with younger viewers. It doesn't happen very often when a modernish show creates a new idea. But if they do, I think it's perfectly all right for other shows to put their characters through it too. If writers weren't allowed to copy ideas, we'd never have anything new to watch at all.

Now to get to my main objection, which I don't think is unreasonable, and maybe you can tell me if I'm crazy. But as far as action sequences go, this show doesn't amaze me. But special effects have gotten far along enough in Hollywood that they can do credible mecha battles on a kiddie TV show budget. The climaxes don't excite me, but I see how a four-year-old would think they are mindblowing. So we've established the show doesn't suck at this one thing.

So why is it, whenever the franchise invariably does a clip show for the Halloween and Christmas episodes, they don't ever play back the fights with the monsters or the robots battles? They strictly keep to the sitcom stuff. And the thing I especially notice about the clips, is that they invariably pick out the very worse clips of the sitcom stuff. I'm not saying this is a good show. But they have material they can show off, and a good excuse to show action without having to pay for new footage. Why are they stuck on the stuff that is boring and probably even the little kids don't like?

That was an unusually bad episode otherwise. Ravi cannot do an English accent to save his life, but Zoe and Devon's Nordic attempts were even worse. It's like they were too young to ever have heard someone else speak with that accent, and seem to be imitating Peter Griffin's "Moonman" accent from Handiquacks. And then Zoe randomly is using a terrible Southern accent for the doctor she's pretending to be, and I'm like "If I had a group of performers this incapable of handling this specific material, I'd change the material to something they COULD handle." Instead this goes out over the air. And I get that they're kids, and real kids don't nail accents in real life. But it's also fiction, it's television, and watching that go wrong is painful on every level you can think of.

I don't blame the kids for flubbing the performances. I blame the adults who sent out the flubbed performances anyways. It's not fair to them. Power Rangers is NOT a good show to put on your audition reel.

This is not a good show in general, and it annoys me. But I'm still here. So who's fault is that actually? *1/2.

veemonjosh

PRBM.jpg

Episode 14 - "Sound and Fury"
Air Date: October 26th, 2019

The Power Rangers’ skills are put to the test when Blaze uses evil tech to massively enhance his Robotron’s destructive power.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Power Rangers Beast Morphers "Sound And Fury"

Megan reminds me that this show does better with human villains.

I mean she is just so loathsome and underhanded. It's nice to see a character properly punished and humiliated for it. Bonus points for not giving her ANY credibility by having her join the villains' team at the end. Sometimes genuinely sucky people enter your life who aren't actually evil. They'd probably be easier to deal with if they were.

"It's time to pull out!" That's what she said!

That was pretty good. ***1/2.

veemonjosh

PRBM.jpg

Episode 15 - "Seeing Red"
Air Date: November 2nd, 2019

Devon becomes hooked on his new Red Fury Mode powers, even using them to stop a bank robber, but the drain on the Fury Cells means he must steal them from Blaze and Roxy.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Power Ranger Beast Morphers "Seeing Red"

That sucked but not enough for me to do a lengthy deconstruction. I will make two points:

1. The Power Rangers are superheroes but it is clear they are not crimefighters. They fight aliens and monsters, and the crooks are down to the police. I think the police feeling their toes being stepped on would have been a very interesting controversy to explore, except this show is not interesting in exploring interesting things.

2. The sitting on the cake thing is another thing that proves that 30 years in, the series still doesn't understand what makes slapstick humor funny. Frankly, I'm not sure slapstick humor IS funny, but there is a right way to do it, and a wrong way. And then there is The Power Rangers Way which is wrong to the Nth degree.

Lousy episode but no big deal. **.

veemonjosh

PRBM.jpg

Episode 16 - "Gorilla Art"
Air Date: November 9th, 2019

Ravi resorts to drastic measures when Smash accidentally discovers a closely guarded secret.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Power Rangers Beast Morphers "Gorilla Art"

The real thing Ravi should be embarrassed about isn't the fact that he's an artist. It's that he painted his girlfriend's picture while she was unconscious in his coma chamber. That's super creepy.

Also, Rangers aren't allowed to engage in pastimes like art? No dating is bad enough but the Ranger Headquarters of this incarnation has a fascist undertone lurking beneath it.

"He really sucks!" Are they referring to the villain? Or the actual show?

Why are black SUV's coming to pick up the Rangers? The Rangers have never needed to bum rides before in not only any previous episode, but in any previous version either.

When the villain tricks Steel he says, "Now that we're alone, there is no need for this charade." When he said that I was secretly hoping Steel was evil and a double-agent this entire time. But this show takes the safer and easier way out every time.

There was nothing too objectionable to me here. ***.

veemonjosh

PRBM.jpg

Episode 17 - "Ranger Reveal"
Air Date: November 16th, 2019

When movie star Nikki Rev comes to town, the Power Rangers’ secret identities are unexpectedly threatened when a camera accidentally films them morphing during a fight with Vargoyle.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Power Rangers Beast Morphers "Ranger Reveal"

This episode is the precise reason TV shows should not take on topics the writers are not familiar with. The news media in this story is portrayed all wrong. Let us itemize why.

1. Doesn't Grid Battleforce actually have a media outlet outreach adviser? If they do, the Yellow Ranger's mother would need to get in contact with them and make sure it was all right to do the reveal. And it wouldn't be. It would compromise national security. The news media to deal with anonymous sources and whistleblowers all the time. They can't just out anyone they want.

2. Zoe being allowed on camera with no interview beforehand, or even a clothing or make-up change, is not credible.

3. In reality, nobody would be contacting the station congratulating the anchor for her integrity. The station would be getting bomb threats from deplorons instead. I get it's a kids show, but that's another reason the topic was ill-advised.

4. Nobody would put the story on the air without knowing who the Rangers were ahead of time. That is another thing that would not only compromise national security, but could also create public embarrassments (such as if one of the Rangers was the daughter of a famous newscaster). The identifies would have to be vetted ahead of time. And how could Dave have fixed the footage without looking at it himself? The entire thing is stupid.

Couple of other quick notes.

The taco stand story at the fair replacing the Ranger story is about the single lamest thing they could have done.

I still can't figure out how Steel's head and body fits into his much smaller Ranger helmet and suit.

This week didn't work. *1/2.

veemonjosh

PRBM.jpg

Episode 18 - "Rewriting History"
Air Date: November 23rd, 2019

The Rangers are brainwashed to think that Blaze and Roxy are part of their team.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Power Rangers Beast Morphers "Rewriting History"

That was pretty good.

For the record, I don't think a plant is a good test run for a pet. Maybe start with a goldfish instead.

Ben and Betty are not good in high-pressure situations.

I didn't like Steel giving the little girl the dog at the end. Not only are pets terrible gifts, but he totally put her mother on the spot just then. Not cool.

The episode was decent though. ***1/2.

veemonjosh

PRBM.jpg

Episode 19 - "Target: Tower"
Air Date: November 30th, 2019

Evox and his minions execute their ultimate plan for taking over the Morphin Grid: Stealing an entire Morph-X tower.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Power Rangers: Beast Morphers "Target: Tower"

The fight scenes in that were pretty exciting, I must say. I also liked the stuff with the Mayor and Devin, although I take umbrage at him saying Devin always comes home battered and bruised. I have never seen any bruises on the kid.

Ben and Betty defeating the monsters with food items was lame however.

But the rest of the episode was actually pretty good. ****.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Power Rangers Beast Morphers "Evox: Upgraded"

I thougt Devon's scene of reconciling with his father was nice. I like nice scenes. Television should do more of them. This show DOES try them (for the record) but most of them come off as phony and insincere. This was genuinely nice.

What was up with the Mayor's hand at the end? Whatever it was, it was a cool bit of foreshadowing.

Shocker: The episode was great. ****1/2.

veemonjosh

It's the Rangers against Evox in this season finale of Beast Morphers!

PRBM.jpg

Episode 20 - "Evox: Upgraded"
Air Date: December 7th, 2019

The Rangers mount a desperate mission to stop Evox once and for all.

As always though, the season isn't quite over yet, with next week being the annual Christmas special.

Last edited:

veemonjosh

And now this year's Christmas special to wrap up the season.

PRBM.jpg

Christmas 2019 - "Scrozzle's Revenge"
Air Date: December 14th, 2019

When the Rangers get trapped inside holiday ornaments, their Beast Bots must save both the Rangers and the city.

That's it for season 1 of Beast Morphers. Overall, even with its flaws, I'd say it's a definite improvement over Ninja Steel (I still haven't finished the second season of that because it was so bad, whereas I've kept up with Beast Morphers weekly). So far it's a step in the right direction for the Hasbro era, and I'm optimistic for where things may go from here for the franchise.

See you in the new year for Beast Morphers season 2!

Neo-Dynamo

Banned
I thought that was a pretty good season. I mean, it feels a lot like the MCU in tone and appearance (a SHIELD-like organization, removing "high school drama", etc.) but I think it worked well enough here. I hope they can keep this going into season 2.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Power Rangers: Beast Morphers "Scrozzle's Revenge"

A clip show. Oh, joy. And Santa exists in this continuity because it is lame.

I DID like the fact that the robot faces of the Cheetah, Rabbit, and Gorilla could be seen on the dashboards of their vehicles. That was funny.

But the episode was a snore. *1/2.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

This quote used to be a hilarious meme I'd use to counter salty fanboys. But now that I've seen it in context of the episode... yikes. No wonder the Simpsons went downhill when the writers thought so little of what garbage they're feeding their audience. Meanwhile, South Park...

Also, ironically, this quote felt far more obnoxious than most of SP's lines because of the context.
episode 4 of the really loud house has the same stock scream sound effect from that "its monday... already?" garfield meme

and they play it twice in 15 seconds
Check out @Sam the Cartoonist 's thread in The Drawing Board, The Shapes!

There you'll find a link to a truly wild and funny comic strip. It's great.
I wonder if Channel 5 will get a new logo next year, given that BBC One and Two got theirs last year and ITV1 and Channel 4 got theirs this month.
Starting Mon, Dec 5, The Simpsons will be replacing King of the Hill from 2pm-5pm on FXX.

Featured Posts