"Power Rangers Beast Morphers" Season Two Talkback (Spoilers)

veemonjosh

Stone free, do what I please
PRBM.jpg

Episode 39 - "Goin' Ape"
Air Date: November 7th, 2020

Ravi and Roxy's anniversary goes sideways when a misunderstanding gets out of control.

Reactions: RDG

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Power Rangers Beast Morphers "Goin' Ape"

Not gonna lie. I liked it. A lot.

I found the stuff with Ravi and Roxie with the phone forced and a bit badly written. Stipulated. Do you know what else it was? Messy. Uncomfortable. Believable drama within the framework of a show geared towards 6-year-olds. It doesn't matter much to me that it was clumsily handled. A messy, somewhat realistic relationship just occurred in this franchise. That makes me very happy.

I especially love how after Roxie learns who Stacy was and the deal with the painting, she feels like the heel of the year. Spoiler alert: She totally is! And I liked the show saying she was on the wrong side of that fight, especially since Ravi is acting nuts for other reasons.

Speaking of acting nuts, what is up with Ben and Betty's job descriptions? Do they literally have to become waiters if someone from Grid Battleforce tells them to be? And just in case you are worried TOO much about some sort of power imbalance between their supposed coworkers, I very much enjoyed the shade Betty threw Ravi as she and Ben cleared the table. Epic Michelle Obama-level side-eye. I found it weirdly empowering.

Rare great episode. I'll take it gladly. ****1/2.

Scrappy-Fan92

If I were to describe this episode, I would call it intense. Just a level of (for lack of a better term) heaviness as we're basically wondering if Ravi will actually succumb to superpower meltdown and turn against his friends and girlfriend. Were it not for the very specific set of circumstances that we've all just sort of come to accept with Power Rangers, this whole scenario could've gone down a much darker path. A regretful girlfriend having to provide an impromptu apology so her boyfriend doesn't literally lunge at her while he's suffering a (Phlebotium-induced) tantrum with the boy's friends being the only barrier for the girl's safety has horrific implications and I don't think the writers meant it like that.

Other assorted thoughts:

-Ben, Betty, you were on point this week. Serving as over-the-top waiters before completely leaving Ravi high and dry when he came up giftless is some Grade A Sass that we don't normally get from characters in this franchise. Once again, they also seem to cause more problems for other people than themselves this week if the end shot is any indication. I'm sure they'll be back to pratfalls next week, but for now, I'll enjoy the change of pace. They worked for their more restrained dramatic parts, which again kind of plays into the "heaviness" of the episode.
-Felt like the Beast Bots got some actual focus outside of battles for the first time in a while. Cruise fleeing in the background during the fight scene was funny.
-Human Roxy, good to see you again. Liana Ramirez does such a wonderful job as both versions of the character, and it's a shame we don't see more of her in this show.
-Avatar Blaze's sigh when Devon summons Beast-X Mode speaks to me. You can absolutely feel the "Not this again" energy from such a small moment. On a similar wavelength, Avatar Roxy sounds legitimately terrified upon her latest destruction, which does make me wonder if Evox will make good on his threats for her failures.
-The fights in general were pretty hard-hitting in this episode. Good work from the PR and Sentai stunt crews.
-The weaknesses of the core three Rangers is something we haven't seen in a while. Admittedly, Zoey's weakness is less of a latent character flaw and is pretty manageable provided she keeps a steady supply of carrots, so I understand why the writers don't really feel like bringing it up every other week. EDIT: Ravi's weakness is a legitimate danger to himself and others, and needs to be dealt with conclusively, otherwise you're stuck with a normally amiable person who's liable to act like a drunken abuser if he has one bad day.
-I sympathize with Ravi to a point, but he really should've just come clean about Stacy being a civilian who simply happened to being in temporary possession of his gift for Roxy. They're both wrong for not talking it out like grownups from the get-go, though yes I must admit that I got a bit surprised at the show trying to tackle "big kid" drama. Getting romantic pairings in this show is hard enough, getting somewhat realistic depictions of disputes between said pairings is even harder.
-The old relationship montage later in the episode worked well enough, I'm guessing Ravi has reoccurring guilt for pushing his girlfriend away not once, but twice. To say nothing of having to frequently deal with an identical-looking Avatar clone of hers that he seemed a little too happy to destroy this week. I feel like there's a psychological undertone to that.

Speaking of acting nuts, what is up with Ben and Betty's job descriptions? Do they literally have to become waiters if someone from Grid Battleforce tells them to be?
I'm going to guess they did this as a favor for Roxy, though the idea that they're basically taking any odd job that someone even formerly(?) associated with Grid Battleforce delegated to them would not surprise me.

Last edited:

veemonjosh

PRBM.jpg

Episode 40 - "The Silva Switch"
Air Date: November 14th, 2020

Following an accident, Nate and Steel accidentally swap bodies. Meanwhile, Robo-Blaze and Robo-Roxy enter an arms race to continue proving their usefulness to Evox.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Power Rangers Beast Morphers "The Silva Switch"

So, this had a musical dance number. No. Just... No...

I will say this. Making Steel human might be something to work towards for the series finale.

But I cannot in any good conscience give something that embarrassing a positive review. I'm mortified to even admit I just watched it. *.

Scrappy-Fan92

The writers have been going into "YOLO" Mode these last few weeks, and I'm kind of down for it. Say what you want about the second half of this season, but it certainly hasn't been unmemorable. Characters spontaneously breaking out into song (without being put under a spell, hello Zeo Rangers) and it not being a dream sequence or hallucination feels like a no-no for the franchise that usually tries to keep its civilian segments relatively "grounded," but you know what? I'll allow it. The cast looked like they had fun.
Other assorted thoughts:

-I thought Steel's frequent desires to taste food would be brought up again, I just didn't think it would be so soon. I also wonder if he'll wind up fully human in the finale.
-Body swap episodes are a dime a dozen in this franchise, but I do wish they hadn't switched Nate and Steel's voices, I find it far more entertaining to see actors imitate their co-star's speaking patterns.
-Human Blaze, good to see you with some actual screentime again.
-I suppose it is that time in the season where we get the backstabbing among the villain faction. I do wonder how they'll deal with two characters who technically can't die.

Four episodes until the end, folks.

veemonjosh

PRBM.jpg

Episode 41 - "Fossil Frenzy"
Air Date: November 21st, 2020

Zoey accidentally destroys her brother's chance for a scholarship and goes to extraordinary lengths to fix her mistake. Meanwhile, Robo-Roxy upgrades herself even further.

Scrappy-Fan92

Yadda yadda, pterodactyls aren't actually dinosaurs, not that this franchise or pop culture at large has ever cared...

Have to say, this episode was pretty cute. I can see where Zoey gets her forgiving nature from, given how even-tempered Mike (third Mike in the franchise as far as I know) reacted to the loss of his fossil sample. I'm not sure if the lesson of the day gels as well with the actual plot progression we got this week, though. I appreciate the writers remembering Zoey's whole motto ("I solve big problems"), but it feels like we forgot about that until the eleventh hour.

Other assorted thoughts:

-Avatar Roxy's new form is actually kind of terrifying...and then she's promptly destroyed. Welp.
-Scrozzle's despair over the destruction of his Avatar resurrection chamber in the background is just one of those minor funny moments I appreciate.
-Speaking of things from early episodes that the writers remembered, Devon's dog phobia. I had to rewind my broadcast just to understand why Devon suddenly got caught slack-jawed when Pickles stole his hot dog. Also, we got CGI ketchup. Truly, we have reached new territory with this season.
-The shot of the Rangers descending from Zoey's Zord was nice. The crew has gotten good at blending their footage with what I'm presuming was Go-Busters footage.
-We're approaching the end, so I'm going to guess that we're not getting the frog mecha from Go-Busters.
-Nate, what in the world do you need that kind of acid for? Dissolving the bodies of people Ben and Betty accidentally killed?
-And what was with the acid just dissolving as soon as it destroyed the fossil? It's like it decided "I've destroyed the plot-important object, my work here is done."
-Weird how we have this fossil-themed episode after the Dino-themed Rangers made their guest appearance.
-Kind of surprised Scrozzle just threw his hands up and declared the chamber permanently destroyed. Just lather some Morph-X on it, Scrozzle. It's the duct tape of the Power Rangers universe.

We are approaching the endgame, and much like Lightspeed Rescue, we had a seemingly innocuous filler episode actually be important to the season's plot progression now that Avatar Blaze has his immortality taken away and Avatar Roxy has been destroyed. It'll be interesting to see how these last three episodes pan out.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Power Rangers Beast Morphers "Fossil Frenzy"

I was wondering why Zoey didn’t ask the other Rangers to use their powers to help her get the fossil, and then, oh, it turns out that’s the moral.

If you ask me whether or not I find it plausible that a scientist doesn’t label a beaker containing acid in his lab, I’ll reply that the show is super dumb.

If Mike weren’t so cool about the first fossil being destroyed, Zoey probably wouldn’t feel so bad.

The stuff with Ben and Betty and the dog was stupid.

A mediocre episode. **1/2.

veemonjosh

PRBM.jpg

Episode 42 - "Crunch Time"
Air Date: November 28th, 2020

Devon falls victim to a bad influence, unknowingly straining his relationship with Cruise. Meanwhile, Evox attacks the Rangers with his latest creation and initiates his ultimate plan.

Scrappy-Fan92

Blaze gets to do stuff and even gives props to Devon for taking over as Red Range--and it's the Avatar version. Well, it was nice while it lasted.

I thought Evox and co.'s plan was decently well thought-out. Take advantage of the one remaining Avatar's near-identical resemblance to one of the Rangers' allies and use him to sow doubt and discord among the good guys while Trojan horsing Evox into the Rangers' base through a seeming defeat.

Gosh, seeing Megazords get trashed fills me with such mixed emotions. I'd also point that out giant enemies exploding, be it in an enclosed hangar or in the middle of a city, seems to never cause much collateral damage. That is probably the only reason Commander Shaw could reasonably approve a plan involving the Megazords dealing with the Omegadrone in close quarters.

Like with the last episode, I'm 50/50 on the moral's insertion. It's an interesting idea with Devon deciding to push his team further and take risks, but I'm not sure if it was executed all that well. I'll give them credit for the episode title, though. "Crunch Time" perfectly describes a workplace tradition that often tends to lead to burnout (and in the case of the Megazords and poor Cruise, literal burnout) and operations going disastrously wrong. So, points for real world applicability.

Other assorted thoughts:

-I'm just going to presume Avatar Blaze used some hair dye to get rid of the yellow streaks. Scrozzle probably just did some techno-wizardry behind the scenes, but the hair dye idea is funnier.
-There has definitely been a late-series streak of Ben and Betty's antics being just as dangerous to others as they are to themselves. I don't think this is the kind of episode that should really have all of this stuff, but eh.
-"No wonder Blaze has been acting like such a jerk!" - Zoey, that's selling human Blaze short. He was kind of a jerk even without his evil clone.
-Guessing there's no detection system to suss out Avatars within Grid Battleforce.
-The lesson fake Blaze was trying to impart to Devon was basically don't let slip-ups happen during the endgame, no matter how minor. I was half-expecting him to throw a hissy fit about Ben and Betty getting trapped in the containment field meant for Evox, but by that point he was probably just happy the Rangers could "snare" Evox successfully (to say nothing of how many fans would probably agree with a tough love assessment of Ben and Betty's competence).
-While I understand the battle was basically just the warm-up to the rest of the episode, the defeat of the train mook felt a bit too easy.
-Faker or not, it was cool seeing "regular" Blaze go toe to toe with the villains. Gosh, I wish they used the Dark Buster suit for a reformed Blaze in this season.
-Evox just standing around in his self-chosen prison looking deactivated is creepy.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Power Rangers: Beast Morphers "Crunch Time"

Evox as Hannibal Lecter? That could be interesting.

It was pretty obvious that wasn't the real Blaze just based on how jerky he was acting. It was not the surprise Devon and the Rangers thought it was.

Ben, Betty, and the Janitor prove that Grid Battleforce is entirely lax in their screening processes of who should and shouldn't be allowed security clearance.

Not bad. But slightly annoying. **1/2.

veemonjosh

The penultimate episode gets in gear as a long-time fan request is made reality.

PRBM.jpg

Episode 43 - "Source Code"
Air Date: December 5th, 2020

Nate makes a horrifying discovery and struggles to cope with the consequences. Now, he must rely on the wisdom and moral support of someone who has been through a similar event. Meanwhile, Evox initiates the next phase of his plan to gain control of the Morphin Grid.

Beast Morphers confirmed as a sequel to RPM.

Last edited:

Mandouga

It's not...QUITE that simple. Don't forget that this show deals with alternate realities. I'd say it's just more of a crossover than...what you said in the spoiler tags. I mean, both might be taking place at the same time for all we know.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Power Rangers: Beast Morphers "Source Code"

I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that the show's dialogue and acting is going to be atrocious. But I thought the plot twists at the beginning were pretty neat and the cliffhanger was unusually dire.

What did I think of Dr. K? Her acting performance with Nate was lousy, but I thought the thing with her getting Ben and Betty out of her hair by creating mindless busywork in making tea, while predictable, played out the way it should have.

My impressions of this week were largely favorable. ****.

Scrappy-Fan92

What a twist!...Is what I would say if YouTube thumbnails hadn't spoiled it for me half a year earlier.

So at last, we get the reveal that Evox is in fact the Venjix Virus from Power Rangers R.P.M., and not only that but Nate was indirectly responsible for setting him loose in the "prime" universe. All it took was some hacking...and snake DNA? Truth be told, this almost feels like this should've been a midseason revelation rather than an eleventh hour one. Would've been less of a sudden escalation and would've given Nate some extension to his arc if the writers played their cards right.

Seeing Dr. K again was a treat, from her bonding with Nate over their shared (though by no means equal) mistakes in dealing with technology in their youths to sending Ben and Betty on a goose chase. The Dr. K of 11 years ago would be far more crass to the Burke siblings, so hooray for character development.

Other assorted thoughts:

-Zoey continues to be too good for her boyfriend.
-I wonder if Grid Battleforce has an emergency shutdown function for all of their tech. I'd imagine that being more practical than running around a base blasting computers in the hopes that you might be able to smoke out a sentient computer virus/robot/snake demon.
-Ben, Betty, you tried to be heroic civilians. You failed, but you tried.
-We haven't seen Mayor Daniels in a while. Would've been kind of interesting to see his perspective on the fact that not only was his paranoia over past villains endangering the Earth and harnessing the Morphin' Grid correct, but that he had actually been possessed by one of those past villains.
-Venjix's voice coming out of Evox's body is jarring.
-I'm curious on what Scrozzle is going to do in the next episode.
-I'm going to presume Dr. K or the government of Corinth just lent the R.P.M. Rangers' Morphers to Grid Battleforce for research purposes. I'm not sure what the protocol for interdimensional exports are, but tossing volatile tech around willy-nilly seems like a bad idea given how bad the world of R.P.M. is.

I'll see you all for the final ride of this series. Take care of yourselves.

Mandouga

Maybe Evox is Venjix, but if anything, this season will likely be retconed as an alternate reality, and Dino Fury will bring us back to the "prime" universe.

Speaking of alternate realities, I don't think anyone should be surprised if Dino Fury, or even some future season, decides to do something similar to the DC Comics story "Crisis on Infinite Earths" where the entire franchise is rebooted, but with the show itself still based on the most current Super Sentai show, but don't quote me on that. That's just how I see it.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

veemonjosh

At last, the final battle between Grid Battleforce and Evox.

Episode 44 - "Evox Unleashed"
Air Date: December 12th, 2020

After one of their own sacrifices themselves to stop Evox, the remaining members of Grid Battleforce must band together and defeat Evox once and for all.

And with that, another season of Power Rangers is in the history books. Overall, Beast Morphers was a good start to the Hasbro era and a definite improvement over Ninja Steel, though still with its fair share of issues.

Next year, we return to the dinosaur motif well for the fourth time with Power Rangers Dino Fury. Can it ride the momentum and really show us what Hasbro can do with the IP? See you in February/March to find out!

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Power Rangers Beast Morphers "Evox Unleashed"

Oh, God, return of the dance number! It's too bad because until then it was an all right send-off.

It's the last episode. No reason not to suggest Ben and Betty are professional with an extra year of training in them.

The proper line for Zoe's Mom upon her removing the helmet would have been "That explains a LOT!"

Steel becoming human was a bit of a wish fulfillment for the resident Pinocchio. But it wasn't handled perfectly. Either they should have hired his voice actor to play the human, or they should have had the kid they hired use his own voice. It feels very fake that they tried to do both.

I was sort of on-board until the dance number simply made me throw up my hands and say "Good riddance". **1/2.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Hey everybody! I'm back. Miss you all. :)
This song is pretty heartwarming.

Today marks the 10th Year Anniversary of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2012). This was the first entry from the TMNT Franchise that I saw all the way through from beginning to end.
With all the negative PR, especially that lawsuit, lately, are the board of directors and shareholders of WBD upset with David Zaslav?

Featured Posts