"Power Rangers Beast Morphers" Season Two Talkback (Spoilers)

veemonjosh

Stone free, do what I please
The Power Rangers, after having fought to defend Coral Harbor from the threats of the cyber dimension, seemingly defeated Evox for good. However, the threats keep coming, and they'll need to turn to a new transformation and legends from the past for help.

An adaptation of Super Sentai 36, Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters, and the first installment produced by Hasbro Studios, Power Rangers Beast Morphers is exclusive to Nickelodeon and NickToons.

Previous Power Rangers Premiere Talkbacks:
Jungle Fury
RPM - Part 1 / Part 2
Samurai - Season 1 Part 1/Season 1 Part 2/Season 2
Megaforce - Season 1/Season 2
Dino Charge - Season 1/Season 2
Ninja Steel - Season 1/Season 2
Beast Morphers - Season 1
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers (Reversioned)
Lost Galaxy (Vortexx)
--------------------------------------------

PRBM.jpg

Episode 23 - "Believe It or Not"
Air Date: February 22nd, 2020

The Rangers are skeptical when Steel says he's found clues that prove Evox may have returned.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Power Rangers: Beast Morphers "Believe It Or Not"

We'll stipulate that was lame. That should go without saying. There was something at the beginning however I really loved.

The first scene of the series (season) was Devon tussling with the jock who was going to be the original Red Ranger and turned out to be one of the villain avatars through no fault of his own in a karate match, and losing his cool. Devon's behavior in that scene always rubbed me the wrong way. At first I thought that was a deliberate story choice, and perhaps the Hasbro era distancing itself a bit from the corny clean-cut image the series previously had. But no, that was the only episode like that, so in hindsight Devon's just a jerk.

What I liked about this episode is that him and the jock are going a couple of rounds again. And then he helps him up after knocking him down. After their experience, they are now friends. It's really cool for ANY show to parallel its opening scene, but what's even better is that it is used here to show growth, and why things are now better. All things considered, the show sucks. But that was not something a sucky show usually does. I will give it the proper credit for that.

I'm giving that four stars on general principle. ****.

RDG

Aspiring animator/filmmaker and Ugliest Man Alive
New trailer for this AND next season (and a team-up EVERYONE believed would happen)

Last edited:

veemonjosh

PRBM.jpg

Episode 24 - "Save Our Shores"
Air Date: February 29th, 2020

A huge trash spill at the beach endangers the local wildlife, while Scrozzle sets about finding reinforcements.

Reactions: RDG

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Power Rangers: Beast Morphers "Save Our Shores"

This is my last season of Power Rangers, at least for awhile. I'm sticking around for Jason, but after that and this year's finale, I'm done. I'll undoubtedly show up for whatever the future show cooks up for the 30th Anniversary, but until then there is a lot of other television I'd rather watch.

Just so you know, the show doesn't get comedy at all. Ben and Betty rolling around in garbage isn't funny in the least, not even in a "Look at how that fatboy moves" cruel way. What it is is completing degrading to the actors. I recall once upon a time parents used to be in an uproar about the violence in the show. I wonder where our generation's "concerned parents" are when the resident fat guy is rolling around in a heap of trash. I tend to believe that "concerned parents" are always concerned about the wrong things, and the fact that I haven't heard any controversy surrounding those characters proves it.

The episode was badly written. The moral was trite. And the comedy landed with a thud (literally). It was a bad week. *.

veemonjosh

Fun fact: This is the 900th episode of Power Rangers.

PRBM.jpg

Episode 25 - "Game On!"
Air Date: March 7th, 2020

It's not all fun and games when Devon's favourite video game is brought to life in the form of a new Robotron.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Power Rangers: Beast Morphers "Game On!"

I liked Betty dancing with the hologram but the rest was quite trite. And I'm not sure the logic of the girl trying to win the prize money to pay for her little brother's surgery so he can play soccer again actually holds up.

So-so. **1/2.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Power Rangers Beast Morphers "Artists Anonymous"

If it weren't for the thunderingly stupid Betty stuff, that would have actually been a pretty great episode. But the situation is what it is.

What I can control is how I respond to that. So I'll ignore Ben and Betty in this review just this once. I really liked the stuff between Ravi and his mom.

What I like best about it is Ravi's mom's mea culpa at the end. Because honestly, her behavior upon learning the truth was atrocious. I don't know what this show is smoking, but there are far worse things than lying to cover up something you're embarrassed about. Instead of being mad at the lie, a halfway decent parent would be impressed and encouraging of the art itself. I'm glad she got there at the end anyways, but Lord that should not have been the process she was making it.

Demerits for the cheap anti-French humor. It's not just this show, it's all American pop-culture. But I don't have to like it.

So I'll give that three and a half stars. ***1/2.

Last edited:

veemonjosh

PRBM.jpg

Episode 26 - "Artists Anonymous"
Air Date: March 14th, 2020

Ravi secretly repaints a local art mural, but a strange artist arrives and claims the work as his own.

veemonjosh

(There was no episode last week due to a Spongebob marathon. Technically it was the annual Kids Choice Awards preemption, but the KCAs have been postponed indefinitely.)

PRBM.jpg

Episode 27 - "Crusin' for a Brusin"
Air Date: March 28th, 2020

Devon discovers that Cruise has some skills that will help the Rangers in battle and pushes him to join the team.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Power Rangers Beast Morphers "Cruisin' For A Bruisin'"

That was corny and dumb but this show is always corny and dumb. That actually wasn't any worse than usual.

So-so. **1/2.

veemonjosh

PRBM.jpg

Episode 28 - "The Blame Game"
Air Date: April 4th, 2020

Steel learns the concept of discipline and takes it too far, putting one of the Rangers in real danger

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Power Rangers: Beast Morphers "The Blame Game"

Is that the first "sucks" in the franchise? Probably wouldn't have been so noticeable if they hadn't almost said "blows".

Steel is super annoying.

Pedestrian. *1/2.

veemonjosh

PRBM.jpg

Episode 29 - "Beast King Rampage"
Air Date: April 11th, 2020

The Rangers are given access to a powerful new Zord, but Evox has designs to steal it for himself.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Power Rangers: Beast Morphers "Beast King Rampage"

The conflict in the episode seemed a bit forced and badly acted, but I still think it was a good thing. This series has a distinct lack of dramatic conflict, and we haven't really seen that sort of thing since Heckyll on Dino Charge. Unlike Heckyll, this obviously won't be an everyday fixture of the show, but it makes the show less boring than it usually is.

I didn't object to that. ***1/2.

veemonjosh

PRBM.jpg

Episode 30 (Sports Special) - "Boxed In"
Air Date: April 18th, 2020

The Pan Global Games have arrived in Coral Harbor, but Ranger duties prevents the teens from attending any of the events.

Note: Based on the production code, this episode seems to be considered a special ala the annual Halloween and Christmas episodes, possibly to commemorate the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. You know, before the world went to hell in a handbasket.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts