"Powerless" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

The Penguin

Mod of Fowl Play
Staff member
Powerless premiered tonight at 8:30 p.m. ET on NBC. Talk about the show here.

'Like' Powerless on Facebook
'Follow' Powerless on Twitter

15994668_376415602711419_4234746077833778366_o.jpg
In the first comedy series set in the DC universe, Vanessa Hudgens ("Grease Live," "High School Musical") plays Emily, a spunky, young insurance adjuster specializing in regular-people coverage against damage caused by the crime-fighting superheroes. It's when she stands up to one of these larger-than-life figures (after an epic battle messes with her commute) that she accidentally becomes a cult "hero" in her own right... even if it's just to her group of lovably quirky co-workers. Now, while she navigates her normal, everyday life against an explosive backdrop, Emily might just discover that being a hero doesn't always require superpowers.

The cast includes Vanessa Hudgens, Alan Tudyk, Danny Pudi and Christina Kirk.

Ben Queen ("A to Z," "Cars 2") serves as writer and executive producer. Director Michael Patrick Jann (pilot, "A to Z," "Children's Hospital," "Reno 911!") also executive produces. "Powerless" is produced by Warner Bros. Television and based on the characters from DC.

Tonight's episode...

"Wayne or Lose" - Series Premiere
Thursday, February 2, 2017 @ 8:30 p.m. ET/7:30 CT on NBC
Emily Locke begins her first day at Wayne Security as the director of research and development.

NBC.com/Powerless

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Not as bad as I thought. Still pretty funny despite the staff change. Hudgens might be able to lead this show afterall. Still so funky to see Crimson Fox and Jack-O-Lantern appear, lol.

"Oh no, I have that shirt, too" was a good one. Ron Funches' "I don't want to get attached to you." was another good one. Or basically how everyone in Charm City is desensitized to superheroes and supervillains.

And yep, figures Batman makes use of their new product at the end to catch the Joker.

Also, the coolest title sequence ever.

Last edited:

hobbyfan

Anyone notice the cameo by Starro? Voice-over cameo by Adam West?

Decent opener. Had to watch it online this morning after I'd fallen asleep last night watching hockey and missed the first 20 minutes.

Road to Gotham

I thought the 1st episode was so-so. 'C'
Did like seeing Crimson Fox, Jack O'Lantern, and STARRO.
Also good to hear Adam West brief narration.

They sure are relying on the BATMAN connections.
This Thursday Robert Buckley(Major on IZombie) plays a henchman of the Riddler.

The Penguin

Mod of Fowl Play
Staff member
"I wish we worked for Batman. I feel like he’d really get us."
"Well, maybe someday we will."

Right up until the end, I was ready to say that my favorite part was the clever opening credits.

I love so much of this cast (as does NBC I assume, pretty much the entire supporting cast is from a cancelled NBC show) that I wanted a bit more than I felt like we got. I'm excited for this week, so hopefully my expectations will be met.

The Penguin

Mod of Fowl Play
Staff member
Make your picks! Right now on NBC

"Wayne Dream Team"
Thursday, February 9, 2017 @ 8:30 p.m. ET/7:30 CT on NBC
The team is too obsessed with Fantasy Super Hero League to get excited about a new product idea.

hobbyfan

A fantasy superhero league? Wack, man, just plain wack.

That human resources geek is a stereotype all by himself. Where I work, everyone is treated like an extended member of the family. Samuel wouldn't last more than 5 seconds with his obnoxious attitude in a family-friendly environment.

hobbyfan

In an absurd sort of way, yeah.

Next thing ya know, there'll be a fantasy league for the Olympics next winter......

Eldorado

A fantasy superhero league? Wack, man, just plain wack.

You're the first person I've seen online that hates that idea.

Anyway, I was hoping this episode would be considered better than the 1st and a lot agree with me. But unfortunately there are still those that have problems with this show. WHY? I agree that some of the characters are a little off but that's what character development's for.

hobbyfan

I didn't say I hated the idea. It's just a little odd and absurd. Wack, remember, is slang for crazy in terms of ideas.

Road to Gotham

Episode 2 was terrible, UNFUNNY!
The Van Wayne is totally unlikable.

But I am DC Zombie so I will stick with it until the bitter end. :eek:

The Penguin

Mod of Fowl Play
Staff member
New episode! Tonight at 8:30 p.m. ET on NBC

"Sinking Day"
Thursday, February 16, 2017 @ 8:30 p.m. ET/7:30 CT on NBC
After Van's incompetence leads to the loss of a client, Emily tries to clinch a deal with Atlantis.

hobbyfan

Van is such a moron. His vanity gets in the way again, and it costs Wayne Security the Ace Chemical contract. Ace Chemical, for comics scholars, was the site, IIRC, where the Red Hood ultimately became the Joker in at least the most often referenced origin.

Corbin Bernsen as Van's dad. Gee, what a shock.

Van also can't sing worth shiznit.

The Olympian was a member of the Global Guardians, introduced in the pages of Super Friends 40 years ago. I guess now we have a subplot they can come back to..........

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
It was cool to see the Kanes exist. There's a lot I like about the show and I hope it's able to grow and improve. It's far from perfect but I love the premise, like the cast, and I think there's definite potential here.

I was discussing the show with someone and we both could agree that we didn't find the one needlessly hostile female co-worker funny lol. I hate characters like that.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited:

The Penguin

Mod of Fowl Play
Staff member
Riddle me this! Tonight at 8:30 p.m. ET on NBC

"Emily Dates a Henchman"
Thursday, February 23, 2017 @ 8:30 p.m. ET/7:30 CT on NBC
Emily unknowingly falls for one of the Riddler's henchmen; Teddy and Ron find a Batman artifact.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts