"Preacher" Season Four Talkback (Spoilers)

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
AMC.jpg
Preacher_zpszzkcygfa.jpg

The fourth and final season makes its world television debut tonight at 9 PM Eastern with two new episodes.

Episode 4.01: "Masada"

Jesse and Tulip prepare for an all-out assault on Masada.

Episode 4.02: "Last Supper"

Starr and his Grail operatives are ready for them.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Crazy start as expected. Preacher's power getting the dog killed, getting the Coptic and Muslim killed, the camels, his drawing. Tulip again one upping her nemesis this time in the pit. Cassidy's attempts to escape. Herr Starr stuffing that guy in the box and blowing him up for asking for specific date. God enjoys Diet Dr. Pepper. Crazy.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Preacher "Masada"

The only reason I tuned in was because it's the last season. But last season completely lost me, and I'd have dropped the series entirely if it weren't ending. My criteria for the new season is simply for the show to be passable, and not an utter waste of my time. The first episode was passable, and didn't waste too much time. I'm far from thinking the series' problems are over, but it seems like the endgame means things are finally getting down to business.

I am less surprised God is the Big Bad of the series, and more surprised he's drinkin' buddies with Herr Starr. Jessie won't like that. Good.

The worst part about last season for me is that it made Jessie irredeemable, and a complete waste of a human being. This season isn't trying to rectify that perception. Not even being able to HEAR another man express affection for Tulip is psychopathic behavior. It is not normal, and shows Jessie has no respect for Tulip, and considers her his property. I'm really disgusted with the character, and I'm more disgusted with the idea that Tulip lied to him about sleeping with Cassidy because she was afraid he'd hurt her. That's the only reason she'd lie. The only one. And I'm pretty dang sick of following the adventures of an abusive lout like Jessie Custer.

I'll give him one thing: The hat carrot with Herr Starr almost worked. I don't think Starr was REALLY ever gonna agree to that, but he actually stopped for a second to think of a way he could possibly work that to his advantage. He wants a hat more than anything. And God willing, Jessie almost got him the raise the headphones.

Those two bullets hitting each other WAS cool. Tulip and Lara have more in common than they don't.

It's not the fact that Cassidy is circumcised which is why I think that torture sucks. It's the fact that the guy waits until it grows back, and does it over and over again. And Jessie expects thanks for this being Cassidy's life? And Cassidy isn't even allowed to TALK about how much loving Tulip is messing him up? Jessie sucks.

I feel like the series' biggest problem is that the hero is too bad of character. That might not be a huge problem if Tulip or Cassidy were utter monsters, but they're not. And they're taking their marching orders from a guy who isn't just crazy, he isn't just sinister, but he's kind of outright dumb too. I'd feel a lot better about the mission to hold God to account if the person wanting to do that wasn't an even bigger scumbag than God is.

For the record, that cold opening sucked. Just based on how dumb that was I expected to hate the episode and the season, but luckily that was the worst part of the episode. If it hadn't been, we would have had serious problems.

Decent premiere, but my reservations have not been lessened much. ***.

Preacher "Last Supper"

I love that it's the Heavenly drugs that screw Cassidy up. He is such an idiot.

For the record, Tulip is a MESS of trouble. I'm thinking after that car show they should have just centered the show around her.

I don't get the pig's ear thing. I don't get the ending either, but I like that I didn't get the ending. The pig's ear just makes no sense.

Decent episode. ***1/2.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
AMC.jpg
Preacher_zpszzkcygfa.jpg

A new episode airs tonight at 10:07 PM Eastern. Here's the synopsis:

Episode 4.03: "Deviant"

In her attempt to rescue Cassidy, Tulip meets an unexpected obstacle.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Damn, that was some messed up stuff at Bensonhurst.

Didn't think they'd get to showing Cassidy's back story.

Had a feeling the rescue would be pointless and amount to a loss and the kid gets killed by accident.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Preacher "Deviant"

What's fascinating about the Saint and Eugene's relationship is that they seem to actually get along. Eugene is nice to everyone, so there's no surprise there, but what is is how much the Saint tolerates Eugene compared to every other character he interacts with. And the weird thing about the tolerance is that he actually think Eugene's philosophy is legitimately messed up. But on some level he respects him for it, which blows my mind.

I think Tulip is a truly stupid character. Does she really think that talking about all of that supposed bloody imagery in the ink blots would actually help her case? I doubt she's a sociopath. Because sociopaths are smart enough to hide their behavior. They would never say those things in response to an ink blot test. She's super dumb. Especially since she's on a rescue mission and is trying to hide her identity. The show doesn't really have any characters to root for outside of Eugene and Cassidy.

I felt bad for Cassidy. But on the other hand, the fact that the episode focused mainly on his pain meant that we had to put up with a lot less nonsense this episode than usual.

Ugh. The Eyes Wide Shut party. I resent it for two reasons.

1. I resent the producers having the kid use the argument that he's making 35 dollars an hour in a third world country, and Jessie is the one with the problem. I resent that argument because it's a good one. No TV producers should ever have an argument like that come out of a kid's mouth, particularly a kid sex slave. That's messed up, and the fact that he's killed in the melee makes it even moreso.

2. God turns out to have been there this whole time. Can I just say it's stuff like God being a part of something like that which tells me that Jessie's mission to hold him to account is righteous, whether Jessie is himself or not? I've been stewing on the fact that God has been having drinks with Herr Starr this whole time, and it makes me realize that God not only sanctioned the Humperdoo plan, but it was probably his idea in the first place. And that makes him one of the most detestable villains in a show with the Saint of Killers and Hitler as a cast member. The fact that God was under one of those masks absolutely disgusts me.

Does Herr Starr actually think he's beautiful? The delusion is strong in that one. I wouldn't call him a beautiful man even BEFORE he was maimed.

Why isn't Jessie surprised to see Hitler? He doesn't know a thing about the backstory and doesn't question the idea once. Why?

I really liked the stuff with the Saint and Eugene, and I liked the fact that the episode was more grounded than usual, at least as far as this show goes. But I feel the morality of the series is completely off-base. It's one thing to have bad characters argue disgusting and evil things in a stupid manner. It's another to give an innocent kid a great argument to justify child rape. And that bothers me a lot. **1/2.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Does Herr Starr actually think he's beautiful? The delusion is strong in that one. I wouldn't call him a beautiful man even BEFORE he was maimed.

But I feel the morality of the series is completely off-base. It's one thing to have bad characters argue disgusting and evil things in a stupid manner.
One of my main interpretations of the series is it's about ugliness. The ugliness of humanity like the collectives of people we've seen - the town, the various cults, organizations selling souls, the ugliness of those in power - God, Satan, ugliness in the flaws and actions of the main cast whether it be physically, mentally, or spiritually in nature AND is there anything that can overcome it - love, hope, doing the right thing, etc.

Why isn't Jessie surprised to see Hitler? He doesn't know a thing about the backstory and doesn't question the idea once. Why?
I think at this point, he's seen "everything" and meeting even Hitler doesn't phase him. And/or he just doesn't care what comes his way anymore.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
AMC.jpg
Preacher_zpszzkcygfa.jpg

A new episode airs tonight at 10:10 PM Eastern. Here's the synopsis:

Episode 4.04: "Search and Rescue"

Jesse's mission to Australia may be over before it's even started.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
RIP pilot who got sucked up into Jesse's mission. One of many terrible ways to go.

The Jesus. Didn't see that coming.

Saint of Killers making a short cut to Australia by shooting a tunnel through the center of the planet was plain ridiculous, lmao. But with everything that's happened so far...

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Preacher "Search And Rescue"

That was interesting.

Out of all of the religious characters it strikes me that Jesus is okay. God's an utter dirtbag, but I think Jesus might be okay. Which amazing considering the amount of awful stuff on this show being done in his name.

It does not sit right to me that Hitler is privileged to be in a scheduled meeting with Jesus. If there is any proof that God's design is evil, it's that.

Cassidy's escape was brilliant. I loved that.

I found Jessie's stuff with the captain by turns moving, optimistic, and dark. Do you know what it wasn't? Funny. I think the writers wanted me to laugh at the sharks eating the corpse. I am not as twisted a person as the writers hope I am. There was nothing funny about that. Plus it was super predictable.

Getting some ideas about what Herr Starr actually wants, but I'm still in the dark about God's design. We'll see as the show wraps up in the coming weeks. Adding Jesus to the gang will be fun too. ****.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
AMC.jpg
Preacher_zpszzkcygfa.jpg

A new episode airs tonight at 10:04 PM Eastern. Here's the synopsis:

Episode 4.05: "Bleak City"

Tulip makes her way to Cassidy and Eugene catches up with his Preacher.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Man, it really has been forever since Cass and Tulip were together. Pretty cool he cited Han Solo.

Jesus plays an arcade, freaks about shooting a man by accident all in his head, smokes it up, hugs Hitler and goes over the Apocalypse. I'm kinda at a loss for words.

Well done twist with Eugene shooting Preacher from the back seat.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Preacher "Bleak City"

That was not an extraordinary episode by any means. But I'm calling it a great one. Without being balls-to-the-walls insane, I found a great deal of it profound and thought-provoking, without being as ridiculous as it usually is.

I don't like what's happened to Eugene. Honestly? I understand him shooting Jessie. He deserved that. But to hand him to the Saint? Nobody deserves that. Jessie tells Eugene he is a good Christian. And that might have even been true when he said it. It's not anymore.

I love the angel and demon body pile-up calling back to season one. That was bananas.

I love Jessie stopping the stutterer. I have to say, that was one of the few times we've seen Jessie perform a purely selfless act. What's intriguing is that based on this show's history, I expected the stutter to be a punchline for Jessie beating the guy up to make him give him a car. Jessie would make fun of it in other words. Instead, it's a moment of pure grace. What I especially love is that there is a secondary reason he did that other than kindness. He wanted to let the guy know that everything he told him was true, and he wasn't making a mistake by following Jessie's odd and potentially illegal request. It worked on a ton of different levels. It was Jessie performing a miracle, while Jessie was letting the guy know he's not what they say he is. And I love that both things are merely hinted at, instead of outright said. I love it when television asks me to put in some of the work myself. I'm usually pretty good at it.

There were three things in the episode that I have two comments about.

Thing the first:

1. I am very disgusted that the media in the show is using the frame that Jessie murdered a whole club of innocent sex perverts. What is truly disturbing is that that's actually what happened if you take what Jessie did at face value last week.

2. The thing that made me stop and think is that this media plot turn would have been bizarre and not credible five years ago. Now, being a sex offender is something people in the news media debate. It used to be "This is wrong, and we should never put people in power who do this." And now we have apologists for that specific behavior, which is where I'm guessing the scene came from. I honestly am not sure this show would have had the same impact as it does if it were made five years ago. Most television, especially dealing with good and evil or political intrigue have gotten much worse quality-wise since Trump became President. There is nothing Scandal or House of Cards can credibly do on their shows that is as sinister and depraved as real life. A show like Preacher, however, being made now is fortuitous timing. There are other "Good timing" shows on the air (Colony and The Handmaid's Tale spring immediately to mind) but I think Preacher has gotten a level of credibility it would not have had before we had an insane monster for President. I mean, I guess that's good for this specific show. But it sure isn't good for society in general.

Thing the second:

1. Jesus does not want to hear Tulip call his father an ahole. But Tulip has to truthfully point out that is what he is.

2. Jesus strikes me as an incredibly weak character, which is a departure from previous shows dealing with religion. He is extremely passive, which is not true to the Bible, but it's true to everyone's real-life experiences of calling out to Him and Him never answering. We assume this is God's plan. What if Jesus is simply a wimp who refuses to take a stand? That is thought-provoking to me.

Thing the third:

1. I don't much like Herr Starr, especially compared to other fans of the show, but him beating up and berating Adolf Hitler endeared him to me in a way I didn't expect. It was SO freaking satisfying on every level.

2. That scene is one of the things that proves without a doubt, that there is no other show like this on television. I'm not saying it's a great show by any means. It's hit-or-miss each week. But somebody randomly beating up and trash-talking Hitler is something you'd only see on this specific show. I don't know if that part of the fabric of the show is actually a good or healthy thing. I have found shows that try to top themselves in outrageousness week after week turn out to be quite soulless and empty (see American Horror Story and Happy!). But there is no denying if I want to see Hitler beat up outside of a Captain America comic book cover, this is the only place I can go to see that. That's definitely something.

I'm reserving judgment on the season and the series. I tuned in solely because it was the last season. If it weren't, seasons 2 and 3 would have turned me completely off the show in disgust. And so far, this season has been the most interesting and thought-provoking one since season one. I'll take it and hope it sticks the landing. *****.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
AMC.jpg
Preacher_zpszzkcygfa.jpg

A new episode airs tonight at 10:01 PM Eastern. Here's the synopsis:

Episode 4.06: "The Lost Apostle"

Starr is desperately searching for the messiah as the clock ticks down to apocalypse.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
AMC.jpg
Preacher_zpszzkcygfa.jpg

A new episode airs tonight at 10:05 PM Eastern. Here's the synopsis:

Episode 4.07: "Messiahs"

Tulip and Cassidy tear across the world, hell-bent on making God pay for His latest plan.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Preacher "Messiahs"

Let me compliment the show on something: I don't think I've seen a show or movie deal with bigger themes than this episode did. Arguably mother!, but that's an allegory and not literal. This episode has Hitler tempting Jesus into becoming the Messiah. How blatant of a button-pushing is that? It amazes me all of the flack Lucifer got from fundies when it debuted on Fox. It is positively tame compared to the actual blasphemy of this show. I am not a person comfortable with blasphemy for blasphemy's sake. But we'll see if the show can make that pay-off in the last couple of episodes. But this show deals with huge good and evil concepts.

My favorite parts were the Cassidy and Tulip stuff. The nearly silent performances by Joseph Giulgud and Ruth Negga at the beginning where amazing. Frankly, were I Negga, I'd be putting the scene where she reads Jessie's letter without saying a word on her Emmy reel.

I suspect something now after this episode that I probably should have seen coming. But Humperdoo is offensive on every level. People seeing him as divine are basically the worshipers of the Antichrist. He's outright obscene. And when Patty tells Cassidy and Tulip that now they can see why she couldn't tell anyone about him, they appear to be the only people on the show besides Jessie himself who are properly revolted by him and everything he stands for. Which suggests to me that there is a level of divinity and virtue attached to both of those characters we wouldn't have guessed. Even God raves about that cheese raping trainwreck. And the fact that Cass and Tulip see him for what he is suggests they are actually the good guys.

Patty honestly is shocked Tulip killed her husband? My beef is her doing it in broad daylight in front of a ton of witnesses. But this is NOT the show to go to for logical plot turns that hold up.

Such as Jessie being offered the Big Chair. As bad of an idea as it is (and it's bad simply because I think Jessie is actually evil) I almost understand it. Who else is there with the kind of juice they need to stand up to God? Jessie finds the notion treasonous, but his entire mission is to hold God to account. Maybe the best way to clean up after him and stop his cruelty is to replace him.

Nothing in God's origin story on Earth surprised me a bit and we seemed to be going over ground already strongly hinted at. What it did do was make me angry that I was right. The series is not going to go for a last minute moral that God's plan is actually for the best. He's legitimately a dirtbag who doesn't care about humanity or the people who depend on him. Very provocative stuff.

When Cass said he was going to eat that guy's chickens, as frightening as the look on his face was when he said it, I was relieved. But maybe I shouldn't be surprised. People who run into Cassidy and invite him into their homes should be grateful he is as chill and ethical a vampire as he is.

I'll say one thing for Herr Starr: Before this episode he was apparently hung. His torture being played for laughs however is something that has always disturbed me.

I didn't much dig the idea of the Messiah hiding out in a synagogue either. I think that didn't actually have anything to do with anything, and was simply done to offend Jews. It's not like this show doesn't offend Christians with it's every waking breath, but that is something that struck me again as blasphemy for blasphemy's sake. That's not deep. It's annoying, and makes the show hard to recommend to anyone else who has never seen or heard of it. I'm not saying the faithful are this show's intended audience. But if they are going to be shocked and offended, I want it to be for a good reason. I don't want any offended fundamentalists, no matter the religion, to be able to claim the high ground against a show like this. But I think the fact that the show does deliberately offensive stuff like Jews worshipping a cretin Messiah which is why the show is very hard to defend.

But the episode made me stop and think. Which is kind of a big deal for me. I didn't exactly like it. But I've also never seen anything like it before either. ****.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jesus breakdancing on a piece of cardboard, Jesse getting an eye bitten off by God, Tulip and Cass implicitly had sex, Herr Starr's looks are restored -- I can't guess anything that's happening anymore.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Preacher "Fear Of The Lord"

Herr Starr's origin was ridiculous.

As for the rest of the teaser, I hope Starr feels deep shame and embarrassment over ordering Featherstone's death. If she HADN'T escaped, he'd literally be cooked. I hope he appreciates her more after this.

I'm less concerned with breakdancing Jesus than with the fact that Adolf Hitler actually knows the correct 80's rap music to play.

The Saint talking so much is how you know it's not real. I'm curious if the backstory is true though.

Starr is a dummy. He didn't think the remove the nipple clamps before freaking hanging himself? Jeez this guy is so stupid.

The God on this show is outright evil. Jesse supposedly sinned through intention? That's the biggest thing that bugs me about Christianity. You can't control thoughts and desires, so the Church automatically has sinners who need salvation through it, whether they lead virtuous lives or not. The coveting Commandments strike me as a scam to keep the people who DON'T actually go around sinning left and right in line. And it's exactly as unfair and stupid as portrayed here.

That episode angered me by the end. But I think that was its intention, so I'm not taking off points for that. ****.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
AMC.jpg
Preacher_zpszzkcygfa.jpg

The penultimate episode airs tonight at 10:05 PM Eastern. Here's the synopsis:

Episode 4.09: "Overture"

Masada is abuzz as the Messiah has finally arrived.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts