"Preacher" Season Three Talkback (Spoilers)

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Oh, ok, Cassidy learned the truth already. Pity he didn't just get the drop on Eccarius with the UV gun.

And yeah, episode left no doubt Allfather is a bastard letting all those Humperdoos die as test hosts of Genesis. Not really feeling Herr Starr and Preacher being frenemies again. It's been awhile but I think they were total enemies in the comic. And c'mon, it led to the aforementioned sequence, but why not just take Jesse's DNA, they have him right there, instead of trying all the combos? I guess this episode was about absurdity?

That seemed ridiculous that the Devil sent Sydney to get Tulip without -- y'know giving her a photo of Tulip -- and ended up getting fooled on the airplane into taking Featherstone.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
And c'mon, it led to the aforementioned sequence, but why not just take Jesse's DNA, they have him right there, instead of trying all the combos? I guess this episode was about absurdity?
That actually makes perfect sense to me. The Allfather is effing crazy. Full stop. So he thinks of all of these absolutely insane solutions to problems without being able to see a saner solution staring him in the face. I mean, he hears Humperdoo order everyone to bow down in a Satanic voice and he considers that a successful test run. The reason it never occurs to the Allfather to simply take Jessie's DNA is because he's batpoopy. He does not shave with Occam's Razor.

Preacher "The Tom / Brady"

The Allfather is dangerously crazy and Humperdoo the Dancing Messiah is just plain dangerous. I cannot believe the sentence I just typed.

Featherstone and Tulip sniping at each other will never get old. The real challenge is when an attractive woman comes on to you.

Tulip totally O'Hared the mission at the end.

I love that Grandma Custer has a hotline to Satan. Says everything.

Eugene may be the dumbest character on the show. God may have a plan, but I doubt Eugene is a part of it.

I loved Cassidy and the vampires trying to decide what to do with Hoover. And I love how the beekeeper talks him into the bee idea. He actually apologizes for it! Cassidy is hilarious and the only character on the show I actually like.

Insane week. But that's what happens when you try to insert Genesis into a cretin Jesus with Thomas Jefferson and Wayne Brady's DNA. Rereads last sentence. Nope. Still crazy. ****.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
AMC.jpg
Preacher_zpszzkcygfa.jpg

A new episode airs tonight at 10 PM Eastern.

Episode 3.09: "Schwanzkopf"

Tulip, Jesse and Cassidy battle old friends.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
DVR Alert: According to Zap2It, Fear the Walking Dead is running ten minutes longer tonight so Preacher will actually start at 10:08PM EST and end an hour later.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
"Yeesh" was what I thought when Allfather was blown up. Before that, the cutaway to them cuffing Preacher was pretty funny. I like how that ended -- Allfather gone, Preacher got his soul back, all the clones and Humperdoo were released, and Starr is back to being an antagonist. Oh man, but the "no more hats" command, lmao.

Very strange but very 'Preacher' that Tulip and co. were saved by Neo Nazis with a tank.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Preacher "Schwanzkopf"

I just kept thinking of how stupid Tulip and Jessie are all throughout the episode. They keep making broad unilateral decisions as if they actually know what they are doing, but they are both messing with forces they don't have a clue about. It's frustrating.

As if Herr Starr didn't hate Jessie enough, he commands him to wear no more hats. That was funny.

My favorite moment in the episode was upon Eccarius telling Cassidy that if he gave into his urges he could finally be happy, Cassidy saying, "I'd rather be sad." That was poetic, and deep, and says that Cassidy is a good person and always has been.

Humperdoo clones running amok. And one of them gets flattened by a truck within seconds. Figures.

I'm wondering what's going on in the Saint's mind when he learned that Eugene wasn't actually dead. I couldn't quite figure him out this episode.

Funny episode but Tulip and Jessie are hard characters to root for. ***1/2.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I'm wondering what's going on in the Saint's mind when he learned that Eugene wasn't actually dead. I couldn't quite figure him out this episode.
I was thinking they set him up as a wild card heading into the season finale now that he knows "the rules" aren't really being followed.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
That was a decent season finale. The Grail has Cass and is ready to go to war against Jesse and Tulip, Eccarius was found out and killed, the old lady survived, Satan was killed, Hitler rules Hell, Saint and Eugene head off to find Jesse.

Not surprised there was brutal fight in the Tomb and he took care of his problems with Gran'ma with Genesis... then went back to finish her off.

The Jesse-Tulip texts was funny. And God forgetting who Eugene was.

I wasn't surprised God didn't do a big reveal about his plan and I already figured they're saving that for next season.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Preacher "The Light Above"

That was a great finale. And a waste of the season. The mission to find God is unchanged and the entire year was just an annoying detour.

I love the Saint teaming up with Eugene. That scene in Hell was absolutely amazing. I don't know what Sydney was expecting when she talked about the crows, but the Saint is actually able to kill Satan. I would not be talking to someone who could do that that way. And the Saint is cunning enough to guess Satan had to do with the crows. Until he says it was God's idea. He still has to die, and now God does too, and the last bit of light in Eugene's eyes seems to have vanished at that too. If God is playing by those specific rules, then there ARE no rules. And Eugene's entire shtick is believing in a high purpose and grand design to God's plan. The crows says whatever it is, is not actually righteous or good.

And yeah, good for Eugene for being properly angry and unforgiving of Jesse. Jesse hasn't thought about or mentioned Eugene in two seasons. He is a terrible preacher.

And I love the idea of Hitler as the new Satan. For some reason he strikes me as a far scarier person to have in that job. Old Satan was a wiseguy and barely took things seriously or personally. Hitler is a genocidal psychopath. That is the LAST position he should be in. I totally see some Trump parallels coming up in season 4, because the show wouldn't be pushing the right buttons if they didn't raise them.

Wasn't Cassidy's plan against Eccarius genius? In order for it to work, he still had to keep enduring the torture for awhile longer. And that had to be tough.

I was actually upset by Hoover's later betrayal, and unsurprised when Herr Starr killed him for being a vampire. It serves him right.

I am not sure what to think about Jesse killing Gran'ma. In his stead, I never would have done it in a million years. Jesse values his soul more than any other thing, and he just damned it to feel slightly better temporarily. Not smart, but Jesse never plays the long game. Dude is pure id. It was cathartic watching him beat Jody to death without Genesis. I think it was interesting that he offered to spare T.C.. Were I T.C. I would have taken that offer, simply because what he has been a part of means instantly going to Hell. I would tolerate wandering aimlessly on the Earth for a few more decades to postpone that.

I think the main reason I wouldn't have killed Gran'ma is that Jesse DID win. It could argued a stalemate after he freed Tulip and the debt, but once he had her destroy the souls, I wouldn't have killed her with those consequences attached for any reason. Father Time would be willing to do the job for me, and I'm betting in a short fashion as well. Jesse has never been a smart or strategic against his enemies. It was especially unwise for him to repeatedly humiliated Herr Starr for as long as he did. Jesse did it because he thinks Genesis makes him untouchable. I am not actually sure about that, and think it was a similar mistake to betray the Saint Of Killers the way he did last year. Jesse is just not smart.

Speaking of which, Tulip's scene with God makes me uneasy. Simply because if he's going to her, it means Jesse can damage him. And if God was responsible for the crows it means he SHOULD be damaged. I would have been tempted in Tulip's place.

For the record, beating up and killing Nazis is exactly as fun and rewarding as Tulip imagines it will be.

The neo-Nazis still think he's Hilter. That is the show saying that those kind of movements specifically are not very bright, and cannot recognize a simple truth in front of their faces. Again, I expect a lot of Trump stuff next year, at least if this is the kind of show that likes cheesing people off. Since it is, I expect Hitler to make Hell great again.

I liked the episode a lot, but the season was ultimately a dud because of it. ****.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts