"Quantum Leap" (2022 Relaunch) Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

SilentYoda

Merry Christmas
Like other members said, media didn't take Peacock in factor, so if Quantum Leap has low rating on NBC but higher rating on Peacock, so it would be renewed for 2nd season on NBC and Peacock, or move to Peacock only.

I watched Quantum Leap revival and it was decent, but not same as original.

After I saw news, I was worried about failed like Knight Rider revival that led NBC to reduce the number of episodes, and eventually cancelled, but it may be different result if Peacock exists.

the greenman

In terms of ratings on Peacock, wasn't Yellowstone a hit on this? I mean not certain, but I would've thought that is similar. Thought Yellowstone is a better series.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

SilentYoda

Merry Christmas
In terms of ratings on Peacock, wasn't Yellowstone a hit on this? I mean not certain, but I would've thought that is similar. Thought Yellowstone is a better series.

NBCUniversal isn't transparent about whichever content is hit on Peacock.

After saw a lot of people saying about Yellowstone on Peacock, so my guess would be yes.

Viacom sold stream rights for Yellowstone to NBCUniversal before Viacom and CBS merger starts and Viacom didn't own CBS Access before.

the greenman

I think it premiered on both Paramount network & Peacock once that went online. If that P Network was terrestrial cable, then that might explain the success. People just followed it to Peacock.

SilentYoda

Merry Christmas
I think it premiered on both Paramount network & Peacock once that went online. If that P Network was terrestrial cable, then that might explain the success. People just followed it to Peacock.

First and second season of Yellowstone was pale but it became very popular after went on Peacock.

Most TV providers moved Paramount Network from basic tier to digital tier that where not many people have access to Paramount Network.

I want NBCUniversal to share the data about Quantum Leap revival and want to know about how many people watch this show.

the greenman

First and second season of Yellowstone was pale but it became very popular after went on Peacock.

Most TV providers moved Paramount Network from basic tier to digital tier that where not many people have access to Paramount Network.

I want NBCUniversal to share the data about Quantum Leap revival and want to know about how many people watch this show.

On Yellowstone, yes that sounds like what it was all about.

On QL:Reboot, I am curious as well. Don't forget NBC execs were not fans of the original. They moved it around the schedule a lot. Bellasario tackled too many taboo subjects for its time (some we're still dealing with) racism, homosexuality, dealing with the Vietnam war when were in a new one. . .

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Quantum Leap "What A Disaster!"

Supposedly Scott Bakula turned down appearing in the show because it lacked a sense of fun. Next week's Halloween Leap (which sounds like an exorcism) sounds like it is going to prove him wrong.

I like that Addison believes Ben is becoming more emotionally vulnerable during the Leaps. Jen calling that notion beautiful sounded right.

Yeah, it sounds to me that Martinez is a future problem. Ian wondering if they created the problem themselves just by looking into it was the right question.

Cool seeing Jewel Staite. She's grown up nice.

The one thing in the episode I disapprove of is the fact that we didn't get a moment of Ben looking in the mirror. That is a crucial element of the franchise, and not something that should ever be ignored. I felt like the episode was missing something for us not seeing what he looked like, especially when Addison suggested the guy was out of shape.

Ian talking about the Hosts has me wondering again about the Waiting Room. Learning the rules of who can see Ben in the Imaging Chamber were fascinating, especially because the old show never delved into them. To be fair, they probably never did because their grasp of those rules felt entirely inconsistent as the series went on.

I'm really enjoying this show. ****.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Quantum Leap "O Ye Of Little Faith"

I was kind of hoping that would be more fun than it was, but maybe next week with Ben as a kid will make up for that.

The Janice Calavicci cliffhanger was great.

Per usual, the show relies on few to no actual supernatural elements. That's consistent. But the episode was smart to bring up the fact that Sam Beckett believed God was guiding the Leaps. I was a little bit leery of the fact that Ben is a religious skeptic for that reason. It's sort of interesting that they figured out a way to make the actual explanation scientific while also helping Ben open his mind to irrational possibilities. Because whether or not God exists in this continuity, the rules for the Leaps and how to keep going aren't exactly rational. I have no clue if God guiding the Leaps. But if He isn't I would think Sam Beckett would have made it home by now.

Also not to put too fine a point on it, but Addison correctly says that if anybody should not dismiss the idea of possession out of hand, it's a damn Leaper.

Whenever the old show did a mystery they gathered the suspects in a room too just like an Agatha Christie mystery. The difference here is the audience were let in on the culprit ahead of time so it's a bit amusing to watch Ben's shtick knowing it's entirely shtick. Yeah, there is some magic missing for that reason. But knowing how the magician does the trick is still fun on some level, even if it ruins the trick down the line for you.

Even though I do believe the old show would have found a rational explanation, I still feel like the episode itself should have been more fun. It was filled with some genuine spooky moments but it's not quite up to Sam Leaping into a vampire. ***1/2.

FTPC

QL will Return on January 2, /23
and from the 10 seconds, Traierl that I saw Janus (AL's daughter) is in cuffs and Standing before magic and his team, I hope that Sam can be found, by Ben, after ben's save Addison

poor sam

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Quantum Leap "Stand By Ben"

Okay, it makes sense that Ben Leaped to somehow find a way to time travel to the future to save Addison's life. That is an acceptable explanation for why he Leaped before the project was ready.

But... I am waiting to hear a good explanation for if Ben is given the proper date for her death her in the future, why he can't just wait for it? And how does Leaper X fit into it? Is something he did on one of his Leaps responsible? If so, how does that work? And why can't the team simply avoid the bad future if they know it's coming? And if they (and Janice) don't have enough information about it, how can they stop it at all?

Is it possible the date, time, and place are known by Leaper X? Did he Leap back and contact Janice in this timeframe? If so, why didn't he give her all the details then? Why does he threaten Ben to stay away now? Is there a reason he no longer wants to prevent Addison's death? Does her living wreck something in the future for him? Is Leaper X actually stuck in the past, or has Future Project: Quantum Leap actually managed to control the Leaps by now?

So many questions.

The stuff with Magic and Jen in the elevator was the weakest part of the episode. What bugs me is how much time it took up.

I really liked the Leap this week and how a simple mission of saving those kids lives turned into a larger goal of shutting down a crooked and abusive military school. Ben is starting to believe there is more to the Leaps. Which is the right attitude for the Leaper.

I can't wait for the show to return in January. It's already one of my current favorite shows on the air. ****1/2.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
It's not actually news. It just speculation on Ernie Hudson's end. But Hudson's thinking seems right to me. I think if the show were just a cheap cash-grab I think Bakula would still stay away. But I have seen few relaunches and sequels that are as loving Valentines to their original series practically every damn episode as this one is. Supposedly Bakula passed because the show isn't as fun and silly as it used to be. But really, the tone variation really shouldn't matter considering how respectful the show has been to a franchise that did a ton of questionable stuff over the years. It gives Quantum Leap, and in particular the character of Al Calavicci, a MUCH better reputation than it deserves. And really, you can't ask for more. Bakula would be crazy not to see that.

the greenman

I understand where Bakula is coming from to a certain degree. I am under the assumption he was sent the scripts for season 1, maybe even saw some or most of the season. Recently, I was trying to explain the original series and Sliders to a co-worker of mine (when talk of multiverse came up). He is slightly younger than myself, I gave him the heads up that alot of the eps borrowed from what movies or news headlines were big at the time.

This new series doesn't quite seem to be borrowing from headlines or big movies in theaters. Seems left over scripts from last series.

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Okay, I finished the episodes, and am now eagerly awaiting the return in January.

The 1989 episode was nice for incorporating a historical event, the Halloween episode was fun (but I'm not sure they would know all of the stereotypes of a "Possession" case before the Exorcist released in theaters in 1973), and the 90's teenager episode was great.

I think the better the show does (and the longer it remains on the air) the higher the chance of Scott Bakula being pressed into returning to the show. Maybe he'll appear before the end of the second season?

Recently, I was trying to explain the original series and Sliders to a co-worker of mine (when talk of multiverse came up). He is slightly younger than myself, I gave him the heads up that alot of the eps borrowed from what movies or news headlines were big at the time.

How'd that conversation go? My 13 year old daughter has been watching some episodes of the reboot as well, and I tried to explain the old series as well, and I offered to show her some episodes, but she scoffed after seeing a few clips. Strange that she can enjoy the new series yet find the old series to be "old and cheesy".

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Looks like there is some good news!

Asa
I speculate this third pandemic winter could end up being it's very last one, ever (we don't need to have too many).
Went to TGI Friday's for my birthday yesterday. Had a great time there despite the chilly weather in Leicester Square.
I've officially turned 26 years old.

Featured Posts