R.I.P. Michael Ansara - The Man who brought Dr Victor Fries to life

Cortez2301

I just saw the announcement on IMDB, and while he lived a long life, bountiful life, its always sad to hear. "Heart of Ice" and everything he did up to "Meltdown" (and some would say even "Batman Vengeance" has resonated emotionally with many. Also, as someone of Arab Descent, I am proud of his contribution to the DCAU, as that is probably as close as it get for someone of that ethnicity to play a Batman villain (in the reality of Hollywood that is).

Thank you for the great work, and we hope you are at peace.

Wonderwall

Staff member
I wasn't aware how old he was compared to the other cast members until about 10 years ago. 91 is a long time and at that point I think a life that lasts that long is best remembered by celebrating and looking back fondly on one's long stay on this Earth.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Wow, that's sad. He did such a great job as Fries, though, so at least he left something good behind.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
"Heart of Ice" has the privilege of being the first episode I watched and the one that hooked me to B:TAS. Though I watched the Spanish dub as a child, I re-watched it years later in the original form and it didn't age badly at all. Ansara's performance as Mr. Freeze was memorable and is still the voice I usually identify with the character.

RIP Michael Ansara.

Mr. Anime

Michael Ansara’s portrayal of Mr. Freeze is part of the reason that character’s reinvention worked so well. Few actors can convey so much with just their voice. You could hear the hollow, icy echoes of a broken man behind every word in his performance. It will stand for forever as the definitive version of the character.

"It would move me to tears … if I still had tears to shed."

JTMarsh

Wing Commander
Caught it on IMDB too. Really sad to hear this. He was an awesome Mr. Freeze.

May he rest in peace. :(

I've been re-watching Star Trek: Deep Space Nine with my mom lately. Ansara returned to play his role of Kang from the 1966 TV series, which was a neat thing to see. It's a shame to see he has died.

Bat-Fan Beyond

Michael Ansara’s portrayal of Mr. Freeze is part of the reason that character’s reinvention worked so well. Few actors can convey so much with just their voice. You could hear the hollow, icy echoes of a broken man behind every word in his performance. It will stand for forever as the definitive version of the character.

"It would move me to tears … if I still had tears to shed."

You said it perfectly.

R.I.P., Mr. Ansara.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
R.I.P. Michael Ansara...

I only know him as Mr Freeze, but his resume shows him as a wonderful and versatile actor, that never got the true recognition he deserved. He will be missed.

jkoolpe

Also just heard this news. What to add? Like so many of us, it was his voice acting as the uber-tragic Mr. Freeze that will forever be the definitive version of the character that completely wiped away the "campiness" that had dominated the character previously. That voice and his lines from "Heart of Ice" still resonate in my mind from time to time..."Oh yes...I would KILL for that..." or "Yes, it would move me to tears IF I still had tears to shed..."

Also LOVED him as Kang in Star Trek, the technomage in Babylon 5, and his turn as the the soldier out of time in the old "Outer Limits" episode "Soldier" (penned by Harlan Ellison) was terrific...

R.I.P. good sir. A long life well lived.

DeathscytheVII

Farewell, Daughter of Trigon
R.I.P to the voice actor of one of the greatest DCAU villains :(

"I failed you. I wish there were another way for me to say it. I cannot. I can only beg your forgiveness and pray you hear me somehow, someplace... Someplace where a warm hand waits for mine."

ShadowStar

R.I.P. Michael Ansara, and thank you for putting your stamp on the character of Mr. Freeze in spectacular fashion. It was truly the definitive take on Victor Fries, and I imagine just one of many cherished memories in a long and wonderful life led by a talented actor.

wind

Rest in peace Michael Ansara. You were the best Mr. Freeze in any media. You will be greatly missed. My condolences to his family.

The Dark Lord

I prefer Maurice LaMarche as Freeze, though Ansara definitely set the standard for how he should sound. He will be missed. R.I.P.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts